Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - Rugby World Cup 2015 Travel Plans

Options
  • 04-06-2014 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

With the Rugby world cup kicking off next September and tickets going on sale to the public this September whats everyone that is heading overs plans?

Flights, Ferries, Hotels, Campervans?? All the Group Stages or just the knockouts?

Any advice or plans on where to stay for the games or where to avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Already booked a few tickets last week, going to be class.only looking at group games, but will purchase a few tickets everytime payday comes around.
    Staying in Cardiff for Ireland's opener against Canada shouldn't be too big an issue, but with Wales playing the day after it might lead to a bit of a crossover with accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Hopefully I will be able to make a few of the games.

Im planning on skipping the first two and going to the Italy and France games. Not sure how im getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Did they adjust the ticket prices at all since the launch? They priced me well out of the market at that stage anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Did they adjust the ticket prices at all since the launch? They priced me well out of the market at that stage anyway.

yep nuts money cat d tickets £50.00 cat a £175.00, £250.00 for french match .

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/ticketing/prices/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Ah yer grand thanks so England. I'll watch it on the telly.

• Advertisement

I'll be here. Watching it on the tv though.

They can get ****ed if they think I'm paying £125 for a Cat C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Planning to head over for the France or Italy match, anyone any idea how much a return boat journey/flight would likely to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Those prices are crazy - doubt I'll bother going over.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Woah, crazy prices. €100 for the cheapest ticket?!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I''ll be surprised if the Canada and Romania matches sell out at those gouging prices in those large capacity grounds.

With the huge sponsorship and TV money RWC will inevitably bring in the prices are shameful. Up there with IRFU's ticket package when LR reopened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'll probably cave and pay through the teeth for the France match, but it's an absolute shame that there won't be many Irish getting over for the other pool games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Imagine my delight when I got tickets to the RWC 2007 final. The joy didn't last long.

I doubt I go to any of the games in 2015, really expensive. I'll try and find nice pubs I think.

In saying that, NZ v Ire or Fra in Cardiff would be fun! If NZ (or Ireland for that matter) get to a semi v SA or the like, I just think I'd be too nervous to enjoy the match...

My mum did haul me out of 2nd class in 1987 to watch NZ v Fiji at the then Lancaster Park in a now demolished stand and I doubt she paid more than $5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Yeah hope to go on a 3 day weekend:
    - NZ vs Tonga in Newcastle on Friday
    - Australia vs Wales in London on Saturday
    - Ireland vs France in Wales on Sunday.

The plan is to drive a campervan over and drive back.

Think it'll cost €450 for cat C for all 3 games.

How difficult to you think it will be to get tickets once they go on sale to the public? The Lions tour was pretty hectic.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Yeah hope to go on a 3 day weekend:
    - NZ vs Tonga in Newcastle on Friday
    - Australia vs Wales in London on Saturday
    - Ireland vs France in Wales on Sunday.

The plan is to drive a campervan over and drive back.

Think it'll cost €450 for cat C for all 3 games.

How difficult to you think it will be to get tickets once they go on sale to the public? The Lions tour was pretty hectic.

That's some amount of driving in one weekend!

In your shoes, I'd fly to Newcastle with Ryanair, and use the excellent train service to do Newcastle-London. With enough notice it's £50 a ticket, or £80 for first class (free food and drink).

London-Cardiff is another 3 hour train for half that price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Prices seem reasonable, a little on the high side maybe, though from the organisers point of view its probably sensible to pitch too high and have to reduce price (or more likely quietly expand the size of the cheaper areas) rather than start off too low and thus leave money on the table.

Also there are plenty of 'second level', but still top games, with tickets for £15/£20. I'm thinking of the likes of Argentina v Georgia, Italy v Canada, Scotland v USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 monkel107

Yeah, they are definitely over priced for the opening two games and I think they will end up being empty if they don't drop the prices a fair bit. I think the last two games in the group are pricey enough will be a sell out with them really the only two that are going to matter.

Dont know whether to go for the campervan option or hotels myself, it worked well with the camper van in new zealand for the last one but dunno if it would be worth over there wit the last game and quarter final (if we get there) in cardiff and only couple hours to london.

Has anyone any experience with accommodation around cardiff and campersites in the area?

If you are planning on staying in hotels would you recommend flying or ferries, Could be worth driving your own car over and staying in hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

Tickets are insanely expensive. Just looking there, If you wanted Cat C tickets to all of Ireland's group games; you would end up spending £380.

Luckily we aren't in England/Aus/Wales group. They get really penalised for being in an interesting group!

Below is table based on Cat 3 tickets for 6 nations + TriNations.

Match 1 Match 2 Match 3 Match 4 Total
    England 160 160 160 125 605
    Wales 85 160 85 125 455
    Australia 75 35 160 125 395
    Ireland 85 85 85 125 380
    France 125 35 75 125 360
    NZ 85 85 75 75 320
    Italy 125 35 85 35 280
    Scotland 35 35 85 75 230
    South Africa 35 75 85 35 230

Jaysis some of those prices are ridiculous , looks like we got off lightly in comparison to some of those. Do the they ever change there pricing if tickets are not selling or do they stubbornly stick to the pricing whether they fill the stadium or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I thought all these matches would sell out however at those prices I'm not too sure. Obviously Eng V Wal or Ire V Fra will sell out but not sure about the others. Another selection of cheaper tickets will surely come out in the next batch released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Are they not offering cheaper/discounted tickets for buying all four group games or anything like that?!

• Advertisement

Are they not offering cheaper/discounted tickets for buying all four group games or anything like that?!

Yeah thats what i was hoping for but doesnt look like it from what i have seen, unless they release something before the general release date in September. Would be a good way of getting the crowd in for the first two group games aswell.

Tickets are on sale to the public next month, any one any idea if its first come first served or how difficult it will be to get tickets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

monkel107 wrote: »
    Tickets are on sale to the public next month, any one any idea if its first come first served or how difficult it will be to get tickets?

They've got so many tickets to shift I'd say if you get in quick when the tickets first come out you'll be fine. Will be interesting to see how the smaller matches sell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

monkel107 wrote: »

You apply/register your interest for tickets between 12 and 29 September so doesn't matter how fast you get in, after that they distribute the tickets but if matches are oversubscribed (which I imagine will probably be the case for the France and Italy games) they do a ballot.

https://tickets.rugbyworldcup.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Have my tickets for France game already (Cat C). Live in London so not going to panic about getting tickets for the other games in the ballot and hopefully they'll come down. Either that or just buy them closer to the time, as we're hardly going to sell out 90,000 seater Wembley for the Georgia game.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

I imagine the Cat D and Cat C tickets will be oversubscribed for all the Ireland games. But Cat A & B are surely not going to sell out for the Canada & Romania games at £175 and £125, crazy money!

That being said I had a look back in my email history for the 2 games I went to in 2007, 1 in Paris & 1 in Cardiff. 600 quid for 2 tickets to each game, so averaged 150 each, but I imagine the quarter final in Cardiff was higher priced.
    Wish I had the moola to be splashing about like I did back then!

Yeah, i think everyone will be going for the France and quarter final tickets mainly and alot of interest in the italy match. Those three will sell out but I Think the first two games will be half empty to be honest.

Hard to know how to approach the ballot, think i read somewhere that you pick your category and you have an option of ticking a box to apply for higher cat tickets if your cat is sold out, which would be ok if its one cat above only. I wonder will we end up with another portal like for the euros in the soccer, which worked in the end but was some craic trying to get tickets on it!

From RWC Website:

Only one application per person can be submitted, so choose your matches and price categories carefully. You can edit or withdraw your application at any time during the application window.

3. Special features to look out for
    Look out for these two special features that could help you to secure your tickets for Rugby World Cup 2015.

Match Manager
    Your application tells us which matches you want to attend, but you can use the Match Manager tool to tell us the maximum number of matches you are willing to purchase through the ballot. Our aim is to help you to apply for as many matches as you would like while also managing your potential spend. For example, you can select 20 matches but set the Match Manager to five matches. This tells us to allocate you no more than five of the 20 matches you have applied for. Once your Match Manager cap is hit, we will not allocate any more matches. Please note that use of Match Manager is optional.

Increase Your Chances
    Opt to ‘Increase Your Chances’ when you apply and if the price category you have selected for a particular match is oversubscribed then we can allocate you tickets for the next highest price category.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I'll be here. Watching it on the tv though.

They can get ****ed if they think I'm paying £125 for a Cat C.

ditto.
    shame, i was really looking forward to being able to drive/train to the matches and head to the Wembley/Olympic stadium (for somewhere new) but those prices are mental. Will probably just go to the France game and then play it by ear from there...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Will try to pick up some Cat D tickets. Failing that I'm not going.

Advertisement