Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thule 970 bike rack - space for 2 mtb?

Options
  • 06-03-2015 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭

Edit - title should be 2 mtb obviously. Damn autocorrect.

Hi all.
    Thule 970 looks like a good cheap rack for occasional use, and looks to be fairly popular so I hope I can get some owner experiences.

I guess it will take 2 road bikes no problem, but is it definitely deep enough for 2 mtbs?

Is there any rule of thumb of buy a rack with space for N+1 bikes just to be sure? Could stretch a little more than the price of the 970 but couldn't justify the higher end options - I've had cars that cost less than some!

Car is a small estate / large hatchback. Has a tow hitch.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I can't see why it wouldn't take 2 MTB's once they are opposite way to each other to accommodate handlebars. The cranks can simply be rotated to prevent pedals clashing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,558 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread title sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Thanks Beasty.

Wishbone Ash, well I guess we've all seen "serves 2" written on something in Tesco and thought "yeah right".

I'd be 90% certain that if it's thule it's grand but just checking here first - I don't think the return policy would be great on used bike rack and I can't see anyone opening a fresh item and letting me try it out.

Zero experience of bike racks just used to fire them in the back of an estate before. Latest car is a little smaller and more than a little swankier inside than previous bike-mobiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If MTB's didn't fit, Thule would clearly state that as MTB's are much more likely to be transported by car than road bikes.

This clip shows 2 MTB's being fitted to a 970 - (in Portugese).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Obrigado.

Yeah, I just saw a few reviews saying it was too tight. Odd frames? Just the reviewer was useless at arranging bikes? Dunno, hard to get that info from a 3 year old review. Was hoping someone here would have one as they are fairly popular (but most reviews don't explicitly say they were used for 2 bikes)

If I end up getting it I'll post back here to say how well it managed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Hi all.
    Thule 970 looks like a good cheap rack for occasional use, and looks to be fairly popular so I hope I can get some owner experiences.

I guess it will take 2 road bikes no problem, but is it definitely deep enough for 2 mtbs?

Is there any rule of thumb of buy a rack with space for N+1 bikes just to be sure? Could stretch a little more than the price of the 970 but couldn't justify the higher end options - I've had cars that cost less than some!

Car is a small estate / large hatchback. Has a tow hitch.

TIA

Fits fine, ...unless you are on monsters.

Advertisement