Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glue for carbon frames?

• 05-03-2015 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭

I need to glue back on to my carbon frame a small piece of metal back on to the chain-stay of the frame (inside of the front two chainrings). I've been on to Canyon and they said not to use superglue as this will be too strong. They recommended double-sided tape - which I tried, but a) it's not flush on the frame and rubs the chainring and b) keeps falling off after a while.
    Is there any type of glue people could recommend for gluing this piece of metal on to a carbon frame without doing damage?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Hot melt adhesive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

I need to glue back on to my carbon frame a small piece of metal back on to the chain-stay of the frame (inside of the front two chainrings). I've been on to Canyon and they said not to use superglue as this will be too strong. They recommended double-sided tape - which I tried, but a) it's not flush on the frame and rubs the chainring and b) keeps falling off after a while.
    Is there any type of glue people could recommend for gluing this piece of metal on to a carbon frame without doing damage?
    Cheers
    An epoxy resin type of glue will do the job..Normally comes in a 2 syrnge set and you mix the required amount.Loctite,and Devcon both do good epoxy resins and you'll get them in most engineering supplies shops or motor factors

• Registered Users Posts: 18 blamester

If canyon said use double sided tape that is what i would use. They know what they are doing.
    Did they recommend a product?
    I have used double sided tape and it is really strong, it's basically a layer of glue.
    Does the tape fall of the frame with the metal plate attached or does the metal plate fall off on it's own with the tape left on the frame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Double sided pressure adhesive tape is probably most appropriate, you just have to findthe right one. if the part is the bit I'm thinking it is, can't they send you one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

blamester wrote: »
    If canyon said use double sided tape that is what i would use. They know what they are doing.
    Did they recommend a product?
    I have used double sided tape and it is really strong, it's basically a layer of glue.
    Does the tape fall of the frame with the metal plate attached or does the metal plate fall off on it's own with the tape left on the frame?
    They didn't recomend any particular type. The one I got was from a normal DIY shop but doesn't seems to be the strongest, nor the thinnest hence why it rubs.
    I use 2 strips and it seems to be a bit of both in that it just doesn't seem as 'sticky' after a while and I have to remove it or I'll lose the metal protector bit itself.
    Out of interest, I can see it was glue originly used so there's obviously something I can use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

wav1 wrote: »
    An epoxy resin type of glue will do the job..Normally comes in a 2 syrnge set and you mix the required amount.Loctite,and Devcon both do good epoxy resins and you'll get them in most engineering supplies shops or motor factors

+1 on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Araldite red will do the job. Do not use the blue one as the melting point is higher than the resin in the carbon so if you ever need to remove whatever it is you will damage the frame before the glue

Advertisement