Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asea as recovery product

Options
  • 05-03-2015 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭

Has anoyone tried the product ASEA? In a stickybottle article a while ago I think one of the riders of the domestic team sponsored by them said they used it and it aided recovery, posssibly perfomance (I can't remember for sure).

I can't find out much concrete about it, most of the discussion either saying it cures every ailment or is a big load of bull quackery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭RockWerchter

11410307.jpg

Redox Signaling Molecules are the way forward. The electrons they give your body have to be good for your power output...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Going by everything I can find, complete wafflebollocks. No actual evidence whatsoever that the product does what they say, no explanation of the chemical process the product supposedly promotes that improves your recovery, no convincing evidence that they're actually selling anything other than salt water.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Shut_up_and_take_my_money.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

McCrystal swears by it. I was at a talk with him and the guy who is selling it to the Irish market. To be honest I didnt by into it but I respect BMC so I trust it works for him. I think a lot of the other things they talked about that night made a lot of sense, e.g. becoming a fat burner rather than a carb burner and being bale to run on empty.

The sales guy kept pushing ASEA though and talking about how it will cure cancer and that if we turn our bodies into a PH positive body we will never get sick ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Sciencebasedmedicine summary

Bottom Line

ASEA is salt water. You can make your own salt water at home for much less than a dollar an ounce. The only value of the product is the entertainment value that can be derived from reading the imaginative pseudoscientific explanations they give

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

McCrystal swears by it. I was at a talk with him and the guy who is selling it to the Irish market. To be honest I didnt by into it but I respect BMC so I trust it works for him. I think a lot of the other things they talked about that night made a lot of sense, e.g. becoming a fat burner rather than a carb burner and being bale to run on empty.

The sales guy kept pushing ASEA though and talking about how it will cure cancer and that if we turn our bodies into a PH positive body we will never get sick ever.

Who does Brian McCrystal ride for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Eamonnator wrote: »

That's unfair Eamonator. Who are we to question the greats of irish cycling. Surely the reason they are great is due to the diet and intense focus. Pretty soon there will be a queue of fellas on here accusing you of never having done anything and don't you know your place.

Seriously though - a lot of the top athletes in this country have way too much time in their hands judging by the whackery that some of them come out with.

Ask my father, am I a liar!

Eamonnator wrote: »

At the time he was with Aquablue

• Advertisement

Who DOES Brian McCrystal ride for?

I would not expect anybody to have anything bad to say about their sponsors.

ASEA now of course.

As I said I didnt think much of it and don't think it does much but it seemed to be doing something for him so if you use it and it works for you go ahead, I personally wouldn't and think the other parts of the diet are far more important and worth working on.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Al Wright

Nothing to do with the above product, but ASEA I know, (Allmänna Svenska Elektriska Aktiebolaget ) is a very respected name in Ireland since the 1930s. Merged around 1988 with Brown Boveri to form the industrial giant ABB.

On the water, the following link discusses the claims;
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/asea-another-expensive-way-to-buy-water/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Casati

Did you ask BMC if he was personally involved in the distribution and sales of ASEA in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Wow. Why are people buying into the pH change myth? Absolute nonsense.

Think I'll stick to regular water thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

It not like Ireland like paying for treated water.....let alone salt water!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

McCrystal also swears by "Kangan water" which is even more ridiculous than the ASEA stuff. Read more here:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4139

I find it incredible that people buy into these blatant snake oil scams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

What about actual oil, made from actual snakes? That'd be lapped up no bother. Perhaps you can't get it - otherwise China would have more top athletes and cyclists.

More about ASEA, and the study on 20 cyclists
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/accused-of-lying-about-asea-not-guilty/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭tailendcharlie

Cond0r wrote: »
    McCrystal also swears by "Kangan water" which is even more ridiculous than the ASEA stuff. Read more here:

I find it incredible that people buy into these blatant snake oil scams.

placebos are proven to work...............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

placebos are proven to work.

Nope. They make people feel better, but not actually better*.

* unless their ailment is psychosomatic.

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »

No if they believe what they are taking will do them good it will cause a physical response in the body, its all in here:

hwebmd . com / pain-management / what-is-the-placebo-effect

No if they believe what they are taking will do them good it will cause a physical response in the body, its all in here:

webmd . com / pain-management / what-is-the-placebo-effect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

That's just plain wrong.

Placebos / nocebos are incredibly powerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

webmd . com / pain-management / what-is-the-placebo-effect

Michael Brooks book, 13 things that don't make sense dedicates Chapter 12 of his book to The Placebo effect. Interesting chapter

That's just plain wrong.

Placebos / nocebos are incredibly powerful.

That's only partially true.

They may work for pain or some types of allergic reactions / asthma which are at least partially psychosomatic effects.

They do not work for coronary disease, advanced lung cancer or a broken collar bone. Trust me.

If a patient stops feeling the pain of a burnt hand after taking a sugar pill, it means that it worked for the pain sensation, not the damaged skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

That's only partially true.

They may work for pain or some types of allergic reactions / asthma which are at least partially psychosomatic effects.

They do not work for coronary disease, advanced lung cancer or a broken collar bone. Trust me.

If a patient stops feeling the pain of a burnt hand after taking a sugar pill, it means that it worked for the pain sensation, not the damaged skin.
    Oh, Trust you? Sorry... sorry... ok then.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

el tel wrote: »
    What about actual oil, made from actual snakes? That'd be lapped up no bother. Perhaps you can't get it - otherwise China would have more top athletes and cyclists.

More about ASEA, and the study on 20 cyclists
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/accused-of-lying-about-asea-not-guilty/

And the dangers of these kinds of "miracle* cures" are summed up succinctly in one of the comments on that page:
    Then I tryed on my Brother WHO has a very serious Health issue called Epilepsia.
    After my Brother had used ASEA for just 6 months – he went from 100% “normal” medication for his Health issue. Today he’s just taking 10% of his original medicin – and tops it of with ASEA.

People with real health issues discontinuing medication that have proven therapeutic effects is a great way to make them more sick, or even kill them.

* One of the ASEA products is actually called "Miracle gel".

joker77 wrote: »
    Oh, Trust you? Sorry... sorry... ok then.

Do you mean that you can heal a heart attack with placebo? Great!

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4151

• Advertisement

Nice clip niceonetom - he goes into it in Chapter 5 of Bad Science as well, great book that

Advertisement