Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I got good service today :)

• 05-03-2015 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Cycling to work this morning and the front derailleur wouldn't shift, apart from a multitool I carry in my messenger bag I've no oils/lubes/degreasers etc in work so I dropped into Cyclezone in Blanchardstown villege and asked the lad in there could he give it the once over.

Looking at their website the guy was Gary.

He freed up the problem, noticed my front disk brake was dragging a bit (I was aware of it but lazily decided I'd do it on the next mini service) ~ he done that too, and sent me on my merry way absolutely free of charge.

The problem with the derailleur, after degreasing it, cleaning the chain etc last week I'd lubed/oiled everything else but I'd seemingly left the front derailleur dry!.

Ok mechanically it wasn't major surgery but I really didn't expect a chat and free service, so I thought in a way of saying 'thank you' I'd acknowledge it here.

(Hope the Mods don't mind).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... I've no oils/lubes/degreasers etc in work....
    I've resorted to using cooking oil and even butter from work a few times as an emergency lubricant to get me home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've resorted to using cooking oil and even butter from work a few times as an emergency lubricant to get me home.

I'm only remembering I've a rifle cleaning kit & small can of WD40 in my battle vest :o

If I'd a machinegun mounted to my handlebars I might have remembered this small detail lol.

[Do Aldi/Lidl's sell bicycle machine gun mounts? :P ]

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I want a battle vest to commute in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Have had also had good experience with Cyclezone.

Like a lot of bike shops they are very busy though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Got caught in Wales after a few hours in the rain and no lube once it dried. I now know that Crisp'n'Dry is an excellent bike lubricant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

What are Mrs.Wishbone's feelings about this? :p

Zyzz wrote: »

It took a minute for the penny to drop lol ~ very good :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zyzz wrote: »
    Well she says that anything is better than the smell of burning rubber! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Well she says that anything is better than the smell of burning rubber! :pac:

http://youtu.be/E3ZuXnX98-s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I'm only remembering I've a rifle cleaning kit & small can of WD40 in my battle vest :o

If I'd a machinegun mounted to my handlebars I might have remembered this small detail lol.

[Do Aldi/Lidl's sell bicycle machine gun mounts? :P ]

Real soldiers carry a spare :D

article-2173122-140C96DD000005DC-939_964x593.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Real soldiers carry a spare

Its a quick retreat tactical bicycle! No need to turn around, just hop on and pedal into safety :D

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

I had a similar incident recently. Had cleaned and re lubed the bike. Coming out of town on the way to Howth, the chain got really noisy. At the Malahide Road Fairview junction the chain seized, a combination of road salt and grit.

City Cycles, right at the lights, sprayed some lube on, and away I went. That was 2 weeks ago, this post reminded me I should say thanks and spread the good news.

Alek wrote: »
    Its a quick retreat tactical bicycle! No need to turn around, just hop on and pedal into safety :D

Tactical retreat?... This is what you need at your back :P

341165.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Tactical retreat?... This is what you need at your back :P

341165.jpg

......and not a helmet in sight.....

.....plus they're wearing the very opposite of HiViz - camouflage!!! :eek:

Advertisement