Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoPro Hero or Garmin Virb

Options
  • 25-01-2015 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

The other annual gift day is almost upon me and I'm in need of a video camera for the bike. I've been looking at the base models from GoPro & Garmin with both being in or around my price range of just over 100. it's likely I'll be picking up the vented helmet strap for either.

I do like the look of the garmin overlay when editing the video and it appears there's a bit of fiddling involved to get it matched up with a gopro video.

Is there anything else I should be aware of when purchasing either?

I'm aware of the cheap knockoffs but given the entry price for a known brand name I'm going to avoid them.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i have the garmin. i think its great. but it is heavy. if its going to be a helment cam look else where

editing so far has been simple

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Kinet1c wrote: »
    The other annual gift day is almost upon me and I'm in need of a video camera for the bike. I've been looking at the base models from GoPro & Garmin with both being in or around my price range of just over 100. it's likely I'll be picking up the vented helmet strap for either.

I do like the look of the garmin overlay when editing the video and it appears there's a bit of fiddling involved to get it matched up with a gopro video.

Is there anything else I should be aware of when purchasing either?

I'm aware of the cheap knockoffs but given the entry price for a known brand name I'm going to avoid them.

The Gopro base model weighs barely anything. I mount it on my bars with a K-Edge mount because the Gopro mounts are massive. It is a slight chore to overlay the gps data onto the video but it's not difficult.

For recording dangerous driving when commuting I would recommend the base Gopro hero and a vented helmet mount to save the hassle of having to remove stuff from your bike when you park.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

ashleey wrote: »
    The Gopro base model weighs barely anything. I mount it on my bars with a K-Edge mount because the Gopro mounts are massive. It is a slight chore to overlay the gps data onto the video but it's not difficult.

For recording dangerous driving when commuting I would recommend the base Gopro hero and a vented helmet mount to save the hassle of having to remove stuff from your bike when you park.

Sorry to jump in here, but I have a K-Edge Garmin/GoPro combo mount en route right now, and I'm very interested in overlaying the gps/telemetry data on the video... can you point me in the right direction as to how its done?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

dancrowley wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in here, but I have a K-Edge Garmin/GoPro combo mount en route right now, and I'm very interested in overlaying the gps/telemetry data on the video... can you point me in the right direction as to how its done?

Thanks!

Download Virb Edit software, there's fairly clear instructions with it, although it's a bit fiddly. You'll need the video files in MP4 format (if I recall correctly), then it's a matter of importing your Garmin data into Virb Edit, and matching it up with your video, it then creates a video with your selected data overlayed on screen. Takes ages though, to the point where I've only bothered doing it once since I got the Virb back in December.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

and cycling, pedestrians, sure horse riding too (just for complete impartiality in case someone gets uppity)

• Advertisement

dancrowley wrote: »

Thanks!

The GoPro records in the right format as mp4 and you load those files directly into the Verb Edit software. Don't bother with the GoPro Studio software.

Then click add GPS and find your Garmin file, either when directly plugged into your computer or a transferred file. Then try and sync it with the video file. The painful aspect is that the GPS time and goPro time never quite match, so you need to use a GPS location somewhere in your ride on the video and then match it with the map data. The Virb software has two side by side windows for you to do this matching of video and map.

Then put the film together when finished as you have to do this matching for each GoPro film segment from a ride, as the GoPro breaks down a total ride into 2GB sections.

Her's a screenshot to help visualise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

The Garmin is very large and probably wouldn't be suitable mounted on a helmet, not that the GoPro would either.

At least with the GoPro you have the option of a chest mount.

I bought the Garmin during Xmas when it was going cheap and it's still in the box (It really is quite large tbh)

I'm still using my Mobius for now.

http://www.techmoan.com/ is a good resource for cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I have both, and while the garmin is heavy it is grand once mounted under handlebars. The biggest benefit it has over gopro is that it's waterproof and in one enclosure. The amount of times that I've cursed gopro for fogging up the inside of the lens and missing something drives me demented! The need for anti fog inserts becomes a pain.
    That said there is probably a bit more versatility for use with the gopro. Depends what you want to use it mainly for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Grassey wrote: »
    I have both, and while the garmin is heavy it is grand once mounted under handlebars. The biggest benefit it has over gopro is that it's waterproof and in one enclosure. The amount of times that I've cursed gopro for fogging up the inside of the lens and missing something drives me demented! The need for anti fog inserts becomes a pain.
    That said there is probably a bit more versatility for use with the gopro. Depends what you want to use it mainly for.

You can get a clear waterproof case with the go pro? I have it and works a treat. Way better quality than the garmin virb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

One issue with the virb I have found is that you can't load the edit software with OS X below 10.7. Not a problem for most people with newer Macs, but mine is only 10.6.8 and updating to 10.7 would mean other software updates, which I couldn't be bothered with just yet.
    Apart from that, the virb works great - especially paired with an edge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

The GoPro records in the right format as mp4 and you load those files directly into the Verb Edit software. Don't bother with the GoPro Studio software.

Then click add GPS and find your Garmin file, either when directly plugged into your computer or a transferred file. Then try and sync it with the video file. The painful aspect is that the GPS time and goPro time never quite match, so you need to use a GPS location somewhere in your ride on the video and then match it with the map data. The Virb software has two side by side windows for you to do this matching of video and map.

Then put the film together when finished as you have to do this matching for each GoPro film segment from a ride, as the GoPro breaks down a total ride into 2GB sections.

This guy recommends using gps Prune for help with matching the gps time and gopro time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC9-TatTK-o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Amprodude wrote: »
    You can get a clear waterproof case with the go pro? I have it and works a treat. Way better quality than the garmin virb.

Sorry I should have clarified, I have the waterproof housing. It the fact that the inside fogs up drives me mental. What I meant was that the virb is a single self contained waterproof unit without need for additional casing. You can't have a naked gopro out in wet.

Grassey wrote: »
    Sorry I should have clarified, I have the waterproof housing. It the fact that the inside fogs up drives me mental. What I meant was that the virb is a single self contained waterproof unit without need for additional casing. You can't have a naked gopro out in wet.

The basic GoPro that I have doesn't have a removable housing and so far I haven't had any fog issues. It comes with two back plates. One for complete waterproofing and muffled sound and the other has 2 slots that allow better sound and access to the mini usb port.

The Virb Edit software does allow you you to match up the GPS file with the video file very well, you just need to locate a clear street turning or something on the video and the map to sync it correctly. Sometimes after a long ride though and the hallucination sets in it can be hard to remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

Replay Mini works well as a helmet mount, very light and looks like a light.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

Looking to get a Go Pro Hero as part of the Cycle Against Suicide. It would be for using in a School Video we're hoping to make.

On here Wiggle seems to be best value at the moment for it @ €131. Is the helmet mounting good enough or is it heavy? Would I be better off getting one of these

Also, if anyone suggests any other kind that is similar in quality. The budget is €200 really for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Ky Abu wrote: »
    Looking to get a Go Pro Hero as part of the Cycle Against Suicide. It would be for using in a School Video we're hoping to make.

On here Wiggle seems to be best value at the moment for it @ €131. Is the helmet mounting good enough or is it heavy? Would I be better off getting one of these

Also, if anyone suggests any other kind that is similar in quality. The budget is €200 really for everything.

Went for the gopro and helmet mount for my commute, will let you know how it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Been using the GoPro on my commutes for about a month now. Works well and thankfully have not needed to use the footage. Seems light enough, I did need to adjust the straps a little on my helmet but I can't notice much difference. I typically forget it's there until I see someone waving at the camera.

Advertisement