Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE comedy - shopping centre

• 27-04-2009 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Heard a bizzare one over the weekend.

RTE doing a comedy series set in a shopping centre starring Colm Meaney, in an effort to get people thinking positive about the economy!

Sounds more like they've been watching too much of Paul Blart Mall Cop and the new Seth Rogen one. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Honestly, even in concept alone, this sounds better than 99% of the sort of comedy shows that litter the archives of RTE. It's far from fallow ground for a series, so I guess we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Hmm, It sounds like a decent idea. Too bad RTE are doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,031 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I hope Colm Meaney has more sense than to star in anything RTÉ has their hand in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,112 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Mallprats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Mallprats

more like mallpats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Leave Chief O'Brien alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

mknotaro wrote: »
    Heard a bizzare one over the weekend.

RTE doing a comedy series set in a shopping centre starring Colm Meaney, in an effort to get people thinking positive about the economy!

Sounds more like they've been watching too much of Paul Blart Mall Cop and the new Seth Rogen one. :eek:

How do you know it is RTÉ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Ah seriously though if this is true, and pulled off correctly (doesn't look likely with rte at the helm) it could potentially be the best piece of television ever conceived. Probably be average, typical type of comedy though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Asmodean wrote: »
    Ah seriously though if this is true, and pulled off correctly (doesn't look likely with rte at the helm) it could potentially be the best piece of television ever conceived. Probably be average, typical type of comedy though.

A comedy set in a shopping centre? I fail to see how this one sentence is making you suspect it could be the best piece of television ever conceived.

Could be good, could be bad but it's hardly an in-depth pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So long as Dougal gets lost in the lingerie department.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    A comedy set in a shopping centre? I fail to see how this one sentence is making you suspect it could be the best piece of television ever conceived.

Could be good, could be bad but it's hardly an in-depth pitch.

Comedy - Shopping Centre - Lt. O'Brain from Star Trek !

How is this not comedy Gold?

AnonoBoy wrote: »

The inclusion of Colm Meaney and swearing would be enough to ensure that it is quality television. Hell you could have Meaney sitting in a dark room simply swearing for an hour and be guaranteed that it was watchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I should email them & tell them about a guy I used to know who ran a shoe shop. (big chain).

He used to buy his own stock & had it on a moveable rail toward the front of the store with it's own cash register there. Ended up nearly losing an arm when a disgruntled punter (woman) pulled a machete on him when he wouldn't change a pair of shoes that the heel had broken on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

I have also heard some interesting Rté stories.

Colin Farrell is hosting the replacement for questions and answers. the representatives will know be referred to as 'contestants', and in the bonus round, they have to answer the audience's questions in a variety of accents and dialects, such as Texan, New York and Canadian, as Colin has done so well in his movies. I'm Very much looking forward to Pat Rabbite trying to crack insipid overworked puns in a Babylonian brogue.

Bryan Murray and yer one out of the Nolan sisters are to replace the current crimecall presenters. They will present it in character using the roles they played in "The Bill". Callers to the show will no longer be greeted by a calm, soothing bogger voice saying "Garda confidential line, how may I help you?" but rather with a harsh "San Hill. Watchoo got, eh?"

TTV to be presented by a cartoon ferret with large eyebrows, no discernible talent, and a tenuous grasp of the English language. So no real change there.

Sinead O Connor to helm new religious affairs programme "You're talking sh*te" where she berates representatives of various faiths in the snug of a Leitrim pub.

I heard my rumours from a p*ss stained tramp in an off licence doorway. Where did the OP hear theirs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 mknotaro

I heard this from a low-level employee of RTE. And by low-level, I mean grunt.

The same guy who told me last year that Adian Power was going to replace Joe O'Shea on Seoige - so yeah... I am taking it with a pinch of salt. Meaning Bondvillian, he's just one step up from the tramp! :D

Still seems a bit of the bandwagon (Mall Cop, etc) even if there's a slight hint of truth in it.

I shall not hold my breath to see Colm Meany on the front of the RTE Guide as a security man!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Not Happening, Keep your eye out for Boards fav comedian getting a series though, allegedly, according to my piss stained tramp source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its about time rte try another full comedy series, ok you've done the pilots now, time to jump in the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

The inclusion of Colm Meaney and swearing would be enough to ensure that it is quality television. Hell you could have Meaney sitting in a dark room simply swearing for an hour and be guaranteed that it was watchable.
    Exactly! Amazed no-one else would be in for such madness. Ye're all too cynical lads.

I have also heard some interesting Rté stories.

Colin Farrell is hosting the replacement for questions and answers. the representatives will know be referred to as 'contestants', and in the bonus round, they have to answer the audience's questions in a variety of accents and dialects, such as Texan, New York and Canadian, as Colin has done so well in his movies. I'm Very much looking forward to Pat Rabbite trying to crack insipid overworked puns in a Babylonian brogue.

Bryan Murray and yer one out of the Nolan sisters are to replace the current crimecall presenters. They will present it in character using the roles they played in "The Bill". Callers to the show will no longer be greeted by a calm, soothing bogger voice saying "Garda confidential line, how may I help you?" but rather with a harsh "San Hill. Watchoo got, eh?"

TTV to be presented by a cartoon ferret with large eyebrows, no discernible talent, and a tenuous grasp of the English language. So no real change there.

Sinead O Connor to helm new religious affairs programme "You're talking sh*te" where she berates representatives of various faiths in the snug of a Leitrim pub.

I heard my rumours from a p*ss stained tramp in an off licence doorway. Where did the OP hear theirs?

All this and Colm Meaney from star trek! Exciting times. I am looking forward to CrimeCall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Is this why Colm Meaney was in Bewley's in Grafton Street today?

• Advertisement

Is this why Colm Meaney was in Bewley's in Grafton Street today?

Having a coffee?

Or else he is filming a new RTÉ comedy series set in a coffee shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Elmo wrote: »
    Having a coffee?

touche, Elmo.:o

I meant to say there was a film crew (and maybe Kerry Condon) there too:p

Advertisement