Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Cock Up

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Translated:
    Perhaps they think that the Irish are more cultured than you are ... you do not speak the language of God?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

I do, but frankly, Aramaic was bugger all help with the Monkey film.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭tintin67

Apart from Thursday night's 'Prime Time' unfortunateness, my personal favourite was 2 or 3 years ago. It was Christmas Eve. Lunchtime. RTE1. Sunday Mass had just finished and you have a 30 minute gap before the early afternoon kids' movie which was some nonsense about Santa Claus for all the family. So what do you put on? A 30 minute Irish short, chock full of violence and seriously bad language. And obviously nobody in RTE was actually watching their own output, as it was never pulled after a few minutes.

Only on Telefis Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,026 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think its great that they screw up from time to time. They're only human and you can't expect them to watch everything they broadcast :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭tintin67

I think its great that they screw up from time to time. They're only human and you can't expect them to watch everything they broadcast :pac:

Never seems to be that way in the United Kingdom. BBC/ITV/C4 seem to have strict controls over their transmission output. People would have lost their jobs after RTE's endless cock-ups. Still, it's great we left the Commonwealth all the same and can do our own thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭An tSaoi

tintin67 wrote: »
    Never seems to be that way in the United Kingdom. BBC/ITV/C4 seem to have strict controls over their transmission output. People would have lost their jobs after RTE's endless cock-ups. Still, it's great we left the Commonwealth all the same and can do our own thing.

You're completely right. I've always felt the attitude was one of "Well, we messed up, but we're a cheapy amateur outfit anyway, so who cares?" Any time there's a medium sized balls-up (I hope this isn't too profane) the people at RTÉ seem to let it go. There's no quality control like you have on the British channels (the big four anyway).

"We put the wrong show on? Too bad."
    "The film started half an hour before advertised? Oh well."
    "We're still showing the midday schedule on page 180 even though it's five in the afternoon? So what?" (This is happening a lot recently)
    "When we returned after the ad break it was a completely different episode to the one before the ads? It happens."*

The worst offender in my mind is the news, be it the Six One or any of the others. They'll show the wrong clip (say, a flock of sheep in place of some argument in the Dáil) but issue no apology. If BBC News, or ITV or Channel 4 did something like that they'd immediately say sorry for the technical fault. RTÉ on the other hand make like it never happened.

The best (or you could say worst) example is the deaf news with the guy doing sign language next to the pretend autocue (Why deaf people would need both - along with someone reading it out - is beyond me). I can now understand why the regular newsreaders flub their lines so much - the spelling on that thing is atrocious! Tune in any time and I guarantee you there'll be at least one typo. Really lazy ones at that, like it was punched up in a hurry ten seconds before it made it to air. It gives us a rare glimpse at the kind of incompetence the newsreaders have to put up with all the time. I used to think their constant fumbling with words was their own fault. Not anymore.

*Actually I don't know if that ever happened, but it's the type of thing they would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

So I emailed them to complain and got the reply below.

An utter comedy of errors.

First - RTE released the wrong version of the film to the press

Second - RTE received a film without subtitles {possibly not RTE's fault}

Third - After realising they had an un-subtitled film, they requested a version with subtitles. However even after receiving a subtitled version, they managed to broadcast the version without subtitles.

Impressive levels of ineptitude all around.
    We apologise for the confusion and the mistakes surrounding this transmission. There are quite a number of movies entitled ‘Carmen’ The one we had planned to show was the 2005 French version, involving a young woman fleeing from a linguistics research centre. However, an incorrect version was registered, and before this could be corrected, the information was released to the press, suggesting that the 2003 Spanish version was to be transmitted. The viewers that expected to see the ‘Vincente Aranda’ 2003 movie were misled by this mistake and rightly disappointed.

Unfortunately, there was a further issue. Obviously, we would never wittingly transmit a foreign language programme without English subtitles. When the 2005 French version of the movie was delivered to us, without the appropriate subtitles, we immediately sought a corrected replacement copy. This we received. We viewed it and approved it as appropriate for transmission, but the rejected copy managed to stay in the system, and was delivered to the transmission suite in error. As a consequence, a movie in the French language was transmitted without English subtitles. It should not have happened. We have systems in place to try and make sure it does not happen, but, to our regret, it did happen. We sincerely apologise, and assure you that we are examining our systems to try and make sure it never happens again.

Yours sincerely
    Michael Gately,
    Senior Programme Viewer."

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Nolanger wrote: »
    Years ago they showed a movie called Cul De Sac on RTE1 at 9 on a Saturday morning.
    Not exactly a kids' movie as it features gangsters, cross dressing, kidnap, and violence - not in a funny way either.
    Typical RTE attitude - just because it's a black and white movie it must be suitable for kids.
    Loads of complaints over the screening.

Why is cross dressing just thrown in there with other criminal acts?
    God knows what my child will do if he sees a man in a dress!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

RTE 2 are showing a French Film now and it seems someone forgot to subtitle it .
    Amateurs.

I would much prefer this to the badly dubbed effort of Kurosawa's 'Ran' that 3e deigned to show at the weekend - it was so jarring that I managed to watch 3 minutes before switching off!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I sometimes see Clash Of The Titans being broadcast and it has a bare boobie!!!
    She's like breastfeeding at the start of the movie...in this context, is it sexual?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

So I emailed them to complain and got the reply below.

An utter comedy of errors.

First - RTE released the wrong version of the film to the press

Second - RTE received a film without subtitles {possibly not RTE's fault}

Third - After realising they had an un-subtitled film, they requested a version with subtitles. However even after receiving a subtitled version, they managed to broadcast the version without subtitles.

Impressive levels of ineptitude all around.

:eek: you actually bothered to complain?, but if they clean up their act how will we rip them apart and take the p**s outta them? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

THat's an impressive set of cock-ups!

Strange scheduling happens deliberately in other countries, last night one of the french channels here was showing Greys Anatomy between six and sever...there's stuff in that I wouldn't want to watch over my dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

We have systems in place to try and make sure it does not happen
    Given that the systems apparently don't work, they could just get rid of them and save the money to buy new ivory back scratchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I sometimes see Clash Of The Titans being broadcast and it has a bare boobie!!!
    She's like breastfeeding at the start of the movie...in this context, is it sexual?

Calm down! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Michael Winner

mike65 wrote: »
    Calm down! :p
    Indeed!

Calm Down Dear! It is only an internet forum! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Lets add this to the list of RTÉ cock ups. :)

Lets see:
    Putting a film in a slot shorter than the running time of the film. Result last 30 mins of film cut.
    They put on a russian film one time with no subtitles.
    They put on a blue movie on a Saturday night. Movie was pulled half way through.

The time that they showed the first half of winning streak, an ad, and then the first half of winning streak again.. Can't find the thread about it though
    EDIT: Here it is http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055377358

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Ha Ha, I was watching the 6.1 news last night and I immediately thought of this thread. They were doing their usual round up of stories from around the country but during it the vt jumped from the middle of one story into the taxi strike story already a couple of seconds in. When it went back to the studio there were a couple of dazed looks but no apologies for the cockup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

schween wrote: »
    Why is cross dressing just thrown in there with other criminal acts?
    God knows what my child will do if he sees a man in a dress!

My kid couldn't sleep for weeks after he saw that film Mrs. Doubtfire.

Although it may have been just Robin Williams rather than the cross-dressing that traumatised him

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

Michael Gately,
    Senior Programme Viewer*

What a job! He must have committed quite a heinous crime to become the Senior Programme Viewer. Or maybe he just watches programmes suitable for seniors?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭RINO87

last night on the champions league, they didnt have the penalties for arsenal v roma edited together, and bill and the lads were left to fill a full five minutes in the studio!! It was classic, i was close to tears laughing!

bill even admitted it, "well, we're after flamming our way through the last five minutes there, now the penalties are ready!" brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Jip wrote: »
    Ha Ha, I was watching the 6.1 news last night and I immediately thought of this thread. They were doing their usual round up of stories from around the country but during it the vt jumped from the middle of one story into the taxi strike story already a couple of seconds in. When it went back to the studio there were a couple of dazed looks but no apologies for the cockup.
    Noticed that as well. It might have slid by me in my dozey state but for someone mentioning that sort of thing as semi commonplace in this thread. They looked a bit confused. They knew. They should have acknowledged the cockup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I think the best I ever saw was when the news finished that bit early and it skipped onto the weather only to see the winking weatherman Gerald Fleming; fiddling away with the autocue throwing it up into the air and catching it only to hear someone saw we are live, and he faced the camera and with a look of a rabbit caught in flashlights. I met him once and he is a gas fella, really bad teeth though.

Similarly another time the other weather woman Evelyn Cusack sadly proclaimed they could not do the weather as their autocue was broken.

Bosco is bollocks was a gem from the days of zig and zag. With Sky+ such moments should become more readily available on youtube from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Singer73 wrote: »
    Michael Gately,
    Senior Programme Viewer*

What a job! He must have committed quite a heinous crime to become the Senior Programme Viewer. Or maybe he just watches programmes suitable for seniors?

they are basically paid to watch a show.. to check for violence / swearing and so on... big **** up on there part if they dident notice the above...

the news is live so you should let them away with the odd **** up on that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Another cock up from RTÉ.

RTÉ2 on Thursday Morning fecked up Reaper. Delayed by 7 mins so they could show some crappy filler program about cocktails. Net result last 7 mins of Repear were not recorded by Sky Plus. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As someone who watches RTE only for certain sporting events and the odd bit of news I feel I'm missing out on so much. Someone please put together a blooper reel for youtube! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement