Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding information about a WWI soldier who survived

Options
  • 22-01-2016 11:17am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've come across a Victoria Cross which was awarded to a soldier who survived WWI. It has his name, regiment number and regiment with which he served. However, I can't seem to find any other information about him - where he came form, family, etc. I've done a little research on family members who were killed in the war, and there seems to have been more information about those who died as opposed to those who survived. Is this common? Or if anyone could give me a little advice as to where I could start looking, I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

If you dare, you can apply for a free commemorative plaque/paving stone in the local village for him.
    The British govt. will supply them under a scheme which rolls them out over 4 years, ie in the centenary of the year awarded.

There was some discussion of installing one by my local residents association, for a local who had been one of the first ever tank commanders, and was killed in Belgium. In the end it was decided not to, because people were afraid it would attract an adverse reaction from the shinners.
    100 years on, and still a sensitive issue.

Advertisement