Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McGregor vs Aldo---December 12th **Main card 3am. Conor v Aldo approx 5am

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pulse8 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan & average maybe an episode or 2 a week but Rogan in general is a bit of a bully, you hear it all the time on the podcast with Redban & even Bryan Callen as of late....very clued in dude but contradicts himself & talks utter bollox alot of the time, there's a Joe Rogan2 page on reddit where they basically rip on him the whole time & some of it is pretty funny & true

Yeah, I've found this too. Rogan is even worse to Callen when he's with Schaub, and Schaub is much the same with Callen on The Fighter and the Kid. It has been tough to listen to on more than few occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Paully D wrote: »
    Yeah, I've found this too. Rogan is even worse to Callen when he's with Schaub, and Schaub is much the same with Callen on The Fighter and the Kid. It has been tough to listen to on more than few occasions.
    Whatever about Rogan, but that's a bit they do with Callen, kind of like a running joke. He plays up to with the crazy stuff he says. Believe me, they laugh all the time about people thinking it's serious and telling him to be nicer to Callen. It's his best friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Here is a really good link I found re: the vegas hotel resort fees. Its not mandatory but most charge it, theres info on what looks like most hotels which do charge it and what it supposedly covers you for

http://www.vegaschatter.com/story/2015/1/12/15109/3421/vegas-travel/Las+Vegas+Resort+Fees:+The+2015+Guide

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

Paige VanZant vs Joanne Calderwood will be the main event on Dec. 10 at The Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas!!!

Might have to get tickets now.

Tickets showing as being onsale 23rd Sept, same day as TUF Finale on UFC site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ah balls, I don't land until 11pm on the Thursday night, only just realised I'll miss the FN. :(

At least the TUF card should be great though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Dana says Conor's first title defense will be in Croke Park if he beats Aldo:

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/09/dana-white-if-victorious-conor-mcgregor-gets-fight-at-80000-seat-croke-park
    Conor McGregor’s dream of headlining a stadium show in his native Ireland will apparently come to fruition if the interim featherweight champion successfully unifies the belts at UFC 194.

According to UFC President Dana White, a McGregor (18-2 MMA, 6-0 UFC) victory over reigning 145-pound champ Jose Aldo (25-1 MMA, 7-0 UFC) at UFC 194 will set up his next bout for Dublin’s famed Croke Park stadium, which holds more than 80,000 spectators.

“If he beats Jose Aldo in Las Vegas in December, the next fight will be in Croke Park,” White told the NRL Footy Show in Australia. “We told him he could defend his title at Croke Park.”

UFC 194, which plays host to Aldo vs. McGregor, takes place Dec. 12 at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

McGregor and Aldo were scheduled to fight at UFC 189 in July, but “Scarface” withdrew from the fight less than two weeks prior to the event when he suffered a rib injury in training.

Chad Mendes replaced Aldo and lost to McGregor via second-round TKO in an interim title matchup. The original fight was billed as one of the biggest in UFC history, but the Aldo injury put it on hold.

Fortunately, McGregor won and set up an even more significant showdown with Aldo, which was originally discussed for the massive AT&T Stadium in Dallas.

White has mentioned Croke Park as a potential venue in the past, but the logistics of hosting such an event are complex, as White explained earlier this year.

“There are a lot of obstacles for Croke Park,” he told MMAjunkie in January.

Most notable of those obstacles is the time difference. For PPV shows, the UFC wants to stick to its 10 p.m. ET start times. To do that, the event’s main card would have to kick off at 3 a.m. local time in Dublin.

“They have a curfew at night where you can’t get permits to stay out that late and do an event there,” he said.

However, there are also other issues for the company’s bottom line.

“You lose about 25 to 30 percent on pay-per-view being in another country,” he said. “The amount of money for production for Croke Park, being outside – I can guarantee you it’s going to rain. I’m not a meteorologist, but I’ll bet you it’s going to rain.”

The Dallas-area stadium show didn’t materialize, but White said Croke Park is a realistic option given McGregor’s current global popularity.

“Ronda (Rousey) is definitely the biggest star that we have in the UFC, but Conor is nipping at her heels, that’s for sure, especially in Australia” White said. “His last fight in Las Vegas, eight percent of ticket sales went to Australia. That’s a massive number. So it’s crazy.”

I highly, highly doubt it to be honest. I'd be very surprised if an event ever happened there. Hope I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Video clip of said quote in Oz

https://youtu.be/9LyhZWLg50A?t=6m10s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The only way Conor could defend the title at Croke Park is if it was a UFC on Fox card, and that throws up another set of obstacles again. There is zero chance of a PPV happening here at Croke Park, for many reasons, the main one being the time difference due to the curfew. The card would have to finish by 3pm Pacific time, and no matter how popular Conor is in the states, the PPV numbers will be terrible for that time of day, and there's no way a fight this big is shown on tape delay.

UFC on Fox is slightly possible because instead of taking in PPV revenue, they rely on ad revenue instead, and don't have to worry about viewership or buy-rates. It's a money game at the end of the day, and it's why I'm doubtful this Croke Park event will ever happen. (Best we could possibly hope for is Duffy vs. Pettis next summer in the 3 Arena, and even that's a huge long shot, it's a best case scenario that likely won't see the light of day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,596 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Paully D wrote: »
    Dana says Conor's first title defense will be in Croke Park if he beats Aldo:

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/09/dana-white-if-victorious-conor-mcgregor-gets-fight-at-80000-seat-croke-park

I highly, highly doubt it to be honest. I'd be very surprised if an event ever happened there. Hope I'm wrong though.

Those 8% of tickets in australia were mostly to Irish out here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Would have thought that was pretty obvious too, rather then White trying to make out he is hugely popular among Aussies

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Lots to happen before this might come to fruition but if he does beat Aldo then you'd have to think Croke Park would have to be around March as they'll surely want McGregor fighting at UFC 200 in July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

"Dana White said"...

Anything after that is not to be taken as gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

JokerD wrote: »
    Lots to happen before this might come to fruition but if he does beat Aldo then you'd have to think Croke Park would have to be around March as they'll surely want McGregor fighting at UFC 200 in July.

100%!

The question is after all his comments IF he wins and he defends his belt does he go on to defend again at 200 and probably get the main event or does he move up to LW and then surely he can't have the main event ahead of at the very minimum 2 title fights but id expect 3 or 4

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Swarlez

anyone have any idea as to how much the TUF finale tickets will be, i see they go on pre sale on wednesday, but there is no mention of price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

I think the UFC have to do Croke after all the talk and build up. Yeah it won't fit with the American PPV audience but so what, Conor's not American.....in fact lots of UFC fighters are not American yet everything is fitted to them.

Doing it as a fight night(or similar) in the states and charge companies HUGE advertising fee's to be shown on a McGregor bill, we've heard for years how much 1 30 sec superbowl ad costs, granted not the same numbers but still a lot of money in there.

Also don't rule out it being PPV in UK or Europe as a 1 off. I don't know the full details re Croke & the residents etc, but if the UFC push ahead with this it will be 1 of Ireland's biggest ever sporting events/achievements so I would like to think people will be a little more willing to comply....although a 3am finish will never happen.

Is anyone who is going to #194 in any doubt of the outcome of McGregor/Aldo? I wouldn't be going if I though Also would win :D I am happy to read this from Dana though, if they are serious about looking into Croke then it sounds like they're confident Jose wouldn't pussy out again, surely he cant do it twice!!?!!?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

I'm picking McGregor but it's a very close fight, depending on how the guys look on the night and how the build up goes, it could go either way.

It's in no way a sure thing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Poor 'ould Jose, been taking trash talk lessons from 10yr olds by the looks of it

s6bYZ6W.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Wow that is desperate. If you aren't going to do it well just don't do it at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

If Dana white said it, it's got a 99% chance of being total bull****, the man just likes the sound of his own voice.

There is no way in hell they will try and sell an event to a European PPV audience, it makes no sense for them financially. If the fight happens in Ireland it will be in the Point, nowhere else has the ability to operate that late without residents blocking it, and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I think that post might have been lost in translation...

Didn't he make the post in Portuguese?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I think that post might have been lost in translation...

Didn't he make the post in Portuguese?

Presumably it was. But still its woeful in any language surely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Post was in English (whether he wrote it or not is another thing), he posted one before it saying he was finally learning english!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

maximoose wrote: »
    Post was in English (whether he wrote it or not is another thing), he posted one before it saying he was finally learning english!

If that's the case then fair play to him. It's all well and good to learn a language but it's a different story to slag someone off in context or make humorous quips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

maximoose wrote: »

I think it was originally in Portuguese, see here:

k8wWk3V.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

The translation is definitely a dumbed down version of what he said, which has been a common trait in everything he has done/said for as long as I remember haha

e.g Idiota = idiot
    babaca = asshole/douhebag, not punk :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭SteM

If Dana white said it, it's got a 99% chance of being total bull****, the man just likes the sound of his own voice.

There is no way in hell they will try and sell an event to a European PPV audience, it makes no sense for them financially. If the fight happens in Ireland it will be in the Point, nowhere else has the ability to operate that late without residents blocking it, and rightly so.

The Point has curfew restrictions too. Don't think you could run a PPV there for a US audience either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I read that Instagram post in a Hulk Hogan voice for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Devastator wrote: »
    I think the UFC have to do Croke after all the talk and build up. Yeah it won't fit with the American PPV audience but so what, Conor's not American.....in fact lots of UFC fighters are not American yet everything is fitted to them.

How many years have we been hearing about Dallas Cowboys stadium and it still hasn't happened. I think this is just another case of Dana doing what he does best - hype and promotion. I'll be shocked of Croke Park happens. Conor is probably the biggest (second biggest) draw in the UFC right down. All of his fights will have to be PPV or Fox and I just don't see that happening on Europe time. They won't isolate their biggest PPV markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Lads the croke Park event is never going to happen. Croke Park seems to be the new Cowboys stadium. Logistically it's a nightmare for the UFC. Even Conor in recent interviews has been less vocal about croke park.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement