Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What kind of time commitment is needed to be in a musical society? (Still in school)

• 17-06-2015 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

My local musical society has announced that they are staging "Guys and Dolls" next year. I'd really like to take part, maybe a supporting role, maybe a chorus member, not sure.

Only problem is that next year I'll be in 5th Year. I'm wondering if joining a musical society and trying to balance school and homework etc. will be too much? I'd be interested in hearing from anybody who has done so in the past.

What kind of time commitment is involved in being a chorus member or a main part? Is it doable?

Also, most of the society would be made up of 20 and 30-somethings, as a teenager, would I find myself alienated? Or are musical society members an inclusive bunch of people?

PS. I know that musical societies generally don't allow minors in, but as far as I know this one has done some extra Garda Vetting or Garda Clearance or something which allows them to have people under 18 take part

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I'd contact them directly and ask them, each society has their own rules with regards to members and it is the only way you'll get a definitive answer.
    The muscial society I've been involved with has not allowed people under 18 to join unless it is specifically for child parts, shows like Oliver, Sound of Music, Annie all require children and teenagers to be involved. They also have had a secondary rule whereby any students in exam years are not permitted to take part.

Rehearsal schedules will vary, you could be looking at one night a week initially for chorus members, more for leads. That tends to build in intensity when you are staging scenes, adding in choreography and you could be looking at two nights a week and a full day at the weekend. In the final week in the run up you may have nightly rehearsals on the stage, then you add in the set/scene changes and then of course the full technical rehearsal, band call & dress rehearsal.
    The week of the show you are looking at every night & possibly a matinee - that is the week that is tough, you're exhausted from the nightly performance.

I know a lot of people who have juggled school & college while being involved in shows (I've done it personally, so have my siblings and all our friends). It is doable, but it will depend on your will power to go to the library after school get your homework done and then head to rehearsals, rather than mucking about for a couple of hours first. Most societies don't have rehearsals until 7/8pm as the cast will have day jobs to finish up, being in school you have a few hours extra to get your study done. Plus if you're studying music for your leaving then being involve in a society is a great asset, I used pieces I learnt from shows for my practical exam.

Contact them, new members are always welcome and if you're a bloke they will nearly pay you to join!

Advertisement