Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The BIG thread on how to import from Japan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the model is in their database then they come back straight away with a figure. If the model is not in their database then they need to query Revenue who in turn need to contact the manufacturer for information on the car. This can take upto 2 weeks but might take longer with a Japanese import.

You will not get an Irish registration number until the VRT is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Pops_20

bazz26 wrote: »
    If the model is in their database then they come back straight away with a figure. If the model is not in their database then they need to query Revenue who in turn need to contact the manufacturer for information on the car. This can take upto 2 weeks but might take longer with a Japanese import.

You will not get an Irish registration number until the VRT is paid.

2 weeks, Wow, I didn't think it could take that long. The car is a 180sx, and there are plenty of these registered in Ireland, but they are still not available on the VRT calculator on revenue's website.

Surely they will already have this on their internal system if they have registered one before?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You would think so but you never know with the VRT system and Japanese imports. You could get lucky but given it's not on the calculator, it's a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

The problem with any performance orientated jap import is that revenue say they are hard to value and must be assessed individually hence not being on the calculator. Your normally looking at a week to get a prics back from them, on a 180sx id be expecting anywhere between 1600/2200

Thanks everyone for the replies.

How do Revenue notify you of the price and the registration number? Do you get a letter in the post saying you owe X amount or do you get a call/email?

• Advertisement

Ncts will call you or send a text to call them when its in. If its been a week though no harm following up with them as its happened me that they forgot to notify even though the price was already back

Took the 180sx for the VRT yesterday. The guy working there said it should only take 24-48 hours to hear back from Revenue but I'm not so sure about that considering what's been said here.

Who do you ring to follow up on it? There doesn't seem to be a VRT specific number on the NCTS website.

014135994 and say your checking if your vrt price is back yet, theyll look it up for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3 nefna

Hello, does anyone know if dealers in Ireland selling Japanese imports bring them in via the U.K. and if so, would the quick online car check show it up as a U.K. import? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

nefna wrote: »
    Hello, does anyone know if dealers in Ireland selling Japanese imports bring them in via the U.K. and if so, would the quick online car check show it up as a U.K. import? Thank you.
    Good question, wondering myself,as bought my Jap import from a local dealer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Is insurance a problem on something like that if you don't mind?
    What' breed of Jap is a chaser?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

One question i don't see here is your Japanese Import car does not have Japanese registration plates on it  - so how do you drive to the NCT Centre without registration plates ?  Or does it ?? you can't drive to the Centre without some plates on it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,029 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The previously common 'FOR REG'? Better than no plates anyway.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Tiger72

Mmmmm.... i dont think so - didn't see a set of them on a car with what - 25 yrs maybe  ?? Anyone go with the previous Japan reg ??

I've used the previous Jap reg printed off/laminated and stuck on, the original plates are like gold dust and removed from the car's as part of the de-registration process in Japan, so they don't ship with them on.

Once your insurance is in order and you have all your documents on you ect your shouldn't run into any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

Old thread but still relevant...

How do you insure a non registered jap import to drive to nct centre? WhenI was getting a quote I asked can it be insured to drive so it can be registeredthey said no.
    Just wondering as otherwise I have toget it transported from corkto dublin then at a later dateto nct/vrt

Some companies will do it with the chassis number or japanese reg for 7 days to get you registered if you don't have motor trade insurance. All down to the broker/company though who your with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

When importing a car from Japan, is the VRT process the exact same as if bringing in a car from the UK?
    Curious if anyone has imported a car from Japan and had it shipped here through sites like https://www.cardealpage.com, https://carfromjapan.com etc

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You’ve got VAT and duty on top of VRT.

Similar thread from last week
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107295895

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Forgot about the customs and vat since non-EU.
    I take it is the same for any imports outside the EU right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Has anyone here ever had a Prius through Titan autoworks ?

I'm thinking about it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I wouldnt suggest buying a JDM prius... so many tech parts that are not the same as here and the EU parts are often incompatible. The screen that comes with the car for instance, how's your reading of japanese as theres no english option?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Is it worth buying a jpan import ? Looking at a honda fit

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fantom

Is it worth buying a jpan import ?
    I would say most definitely yes. In this case – you get more than you pay for. Japanese cars are generally more reliable. You also going to get low mileage car, better spec, way better leather seats, better paint and even better body metal. I've been living in Ireland for the last 20 years and never bought one car from local dealers. Jap only. My self and my wife are driving right now imported Lexus RX and VW Golf GTI.

The only thing I would suggest is DO NOT BUY cars at a fixed price from company stock and avoid middleman. Auctions only! As Chris_Heilong mentioned before it may take a while, but be patient.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Hi all,

Wondering whats peoples views on importing from Japan now.

Looking at a nissan 180sx or chaser altough apparently VRT on these is 4000 now are the days of importing gone is it cheaper to buy something on southern reg plates?

Any advice/reccommendations /experiences welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Both the cost to import & lack of options for insurance have generally killed off the once popular Jap import sales.

Nowadays you only really import something that you really want, where cost is not a factor & you can insure it.

VRT will be expensive on anything like that.

Buying a car already here will be cheaper but also driven on Irish roads :).

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

Theres next to no value to be had from Japan on anything performance related at all. VRT aside, prices have been fairly still of late on what your looking at, and rising on anything that's older. The days of cheap cars are long gone, and as above it's only worth it if its something specific that you really want and are willing to pay good money for.

revoke12 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Wondering whats peoples views on importing from Japan now.

Looking at a nissan 180sx or chaser altough apparently VRT on these is 4000 now are the days of importing gone is it cheaper to buy something on southern reg plates?

Any advice/reccommendations /experiences welcome

In general, you will pay more to source a car from japan vs. buying the same car here in similar condition. However as mentioned above, they haven't been driven on Irish roads, which is definitely worth something in my opinion, especially when dealing with old Nissans which do rust.

Looking back at the Original Post from 2013, I don't think you would pick up a grade 4 chaser for that price anymore, not even a grade 3.5 I'd say. So times have definitely changed in that respect.

If you are keen on a particular car and you don't mind paying €2-3k more than the average price here (depending on the car) then I would definitely recommend it. I found it to be a great experience - going through the auctions every day, researching the car you want, and finally putting a bid on it followed by the anxious wait to see if you won it or not.

I imported a 180sx 2 years ago. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I've recently decided to buy a Japanese import and I was wondering if anyone has an up to date list of insurers that will quote me? I've searched boards but a lot of the insurers and brokers that did it a few years ago don't seem to do it anymore (Zurich, Campion etc.)

I have gotten quotes from Liberty and Aviva but they've come in quite high and I'd like the option of shopping around a bit.

Advertisement