Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rowdy Ronda

• 09-02-2013 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

Just watched this myself and though I'd share in case anybody hasn't seen it.
    Shows another side of Ronda Rousey!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

Its sad to think that the ufc could promote caramusc as an american hero in the way they promote brian stann but because shes not as pretty as rohnda she gets the poor kid from the wrong side of the tracks and only two mins airtime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

Well I suppose if Carmouche was a higher profile name there might have been more coverage, I guess they were just concentrating on their golden girl!

I was going to say if the fight was with Cyborg, maybe Cyborg would get more coverage as it's a higher profile fight, plus we've already seen Ronda's story now!
    However, I was just reading over on the Bleacher report that Cyborg has asked for her release from the UFC!

Cyborg asks for release

Interestingly enough her manager is Tito Ortiz! I wonder if he's planning on joining Randy over at Bellator and setting up a women's division there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Doesn't Bellator have a women's division already? I don't really follow it but Ais Daly fought for them a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

RainMaker wrote: »
    Well I suppose if Carmouche was a higher profile name there might have been more coverage, I guess they were just concentrating on their golden girl!

That's exactly it. As Dana said, this isn't a highlight for womens mma. It's the Ronda Rousey show. Ronda comes across very well in the show. The final minutes are very moving. I hope there is more coverage of Carmouche in the second episode though.
    I was going to say if the fight was with Cyborg, maybe Cyborg would get more coverage as it's a higher profile fight, plus we've already seen Ronda's story now!
    However, I was just reading over on the Bleacher report that Cyborg has asked for her release from the UFC!

Cyborg asks for release

Interestingly enough her manager is Tito Ortiz! I wonder if he's planning on joining Randy over at Bellator and setting up a women's division there!

This fight was never going to happen. Cyborg would have a very tough time making 135. She says it's hard just making 145. I don't think Cyborg was ever with the UFC as they wouldn't sign her if she can't make 135. I'd say she wants out of her Strikeforce contract. She may head over to Invicta and keep fighting at 145 and maybe try drop to 135 later in the year.

As was mentioned, Bellator already have womens MMA. I'd say it's Invicta though. It seems to very difficult for fighters to get out of Bellator contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

I Thought it was pretty interesting, looking forward to episode 2. I was interested in that resitance band training she was doing.

ibu35z6hXgCOrL.gif

The internet responded quickly with the inevitable romoshop

ravearousey1.gif

rouseydance.gif

RondaRidesReem_zps01d2c601.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Its sad to think that the ufc could promote caramusc as an american hero in the way they promote brian stann but because shes not as pretty as rohnda she gets the poor kid from the wrong side of the tracks and only two mins airtime

Even though this an easy fight for Rousey they should have tried to build Liz up a credible opponent. What can we expect after Dana White called it the Rhonda Rousey show? They better do something to promote Liz in the next episode if they expect fans to over their $60 for this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

That is worst primetime episode I have ever seen. 15 of 20 minutes to Rousey, seriously. Carmouche probably doesn't care because she is probably getting her biggest payday but it begs the question, what happens when Rousey loses in the UFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

I found the Primetime show to be pretty poor. Carmouche got a bad deal with so little air time during the show. I feel it will only inspire her to perform better and I think thats bad news for Ronda.

I also found it strange what she said about her father and how upset she got. Why bring it up about him and get so upset ? I wonder if she is getting a cut of the PPV and if so, is it bad to think she raised the issue to sell the fight and in turn make more money !!!!

Ronda deserves al the attention she gets because without her there would currently be no women in the UFC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Niall0 wrote: »
    Ronda deserves al the attention she gets because without her there would currently be no women in the UFC!

This. No surprise UFC are pushing her massively now - she's the draw, not some relatively unknown fighter in Carmouche, the general public don't care about her, it's all about Ronda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

she's the draw, not some relatively unknown fighter in Carmouche

Is she though? I don't think that she is a big draw and thats the problem I have with her headlining a show and I think the PPV numbers will reflect this. If Hendo and Machida weren't on the card this would be a total flop.

Bottom line is that MMA is a sport that is mainly watched by men, most women have no interest whatsoever and think its barbaric. I personally don't have an interest in watching women fight in the same way as I have no interest in Womens Football/ Rugby - its nowhere near the same level and its like comparing the League of Ireland to the Champions League. I am not being sexist or trying to belittle women fighters but I think its fair to call a spade a spade. I think its fair to concede that Men are just better at some things, much the same as Women are just better at others.

</rant>

RoboRat wrote: »
    Is she though? I don't think that she is a big draw and thats the problem I have with her headlining a show and I think the PPV numbers will reflect this. If Hendo and Machida weren't on the card this would be a total flop.

Compared to Carmouche she is. Rousey has had mainstream media coverage, is the reason why women are fighting in the UFC, so it makes sense for the UFC to push her as much as they can as often as they can. Pushing Carmouche wouldn't make any sense from a marketing point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Carmouche may not be a draw but the primetime series has been used in the past to give the underdog or less known fighter a bigger profile going into the fight. IE GSP / Hardy , Lesnar / Cain. This is just reversing the trend badly.

Rousey is a draw but if Carano & Cyborg are both draws and lets not forget the first womens mma fight headlining a predominantly mens event, when Carano and Cyborg went at it.

Compared to Carmouche she is. Rousey has had mainstream media coverage, is the reason why women are fighting in the UFC, so it makes sense for the UFC to push her as much as they can as often as they can. Pushing Carmouche wouldn't make any sense from a marketing point of view.

Compared to Carmouche I 100% agree but I am talking as a fighter in a fight show. I am not bothered about the Rousey/ Carmouche. She may be the reason that women are fighting in the UFC and she gets media coverage but I think the UFC need to realise what their fan base is and market to that rather than trying to push something. I think the headline fight should be the fight that draws the most attention and interest and Machida/Hendo is a much bigger draw.

Those gifs are awesome. It's only a matter of time before someone adds it to the UFC dance party

BrockAndersonRasshadDISCO.gif

There's a huge push for Rousey by the UFC and I hope it's a success and sees the inclusion of more than 1 weight division. If the train derails and Carmouche wins it'll be interesting to see how the UFC handle it. I doubt they'd scrap the division given how much money has gone into this. Maybe drop them women's MMA to the undercard until it gains more popularity with the average fan.

I wonder how many buys this PPV would get without the backup of Hendo v Machida and Faber v Menjivar.

I personally don't have an interest in watching women fight in the same way as I have no interest in Womens Football/ Rugby - its nowhere near the same level and its like comparing the League of Ireland to the Champions League. I am not being sexist or trying to belittle women fighters but I think its fair to call a spade a spade. I think its fair to concede that Men are just better at some things, much the same as Women are just better at others.

</rant>
    Actually that is a pretty sexist statement, Ronda is an olympian and of an incredibly high level in grappling which she has showcased by winning every single fight by first round armbar. Shes of a higher level than alot of men in the sport. Ronda is gaining exposure for the sport in all kinds of areas that have been untouched so far and she will continu to do so.

Actually that is a pretty sexist statement, Ronda is an olympian and of an incredibly high level in grappling which she has showcased by winning every single fight by first round armbar. Shes of a higher level than alot of men in the sport. Ronda is gaining exposure for the sport in all kinds of areas that have been untouched so far and she will continu to do so.

I agree that she is very talented and I know she is an Olympian but how exactly is my remark sexist? Lets look at the facts, the amount of competition out there in Womens MMA is nowhere near the same as in mens. Therefore to succeed in Mens MMA you have to be at a much higher level as there is far more competition out there - I would guess that for every single female fighter there are at least 1,000 blokes... AT LEAST. Couple that with the fact that men are stronger and faster you are left with much more exciting matches IMO. The same can be said for Mens football and Rugby.

You can say that she is at a higher level technically than most blokes and you may be right but the bottom line is that is she went into the ring with UFC pro male in her weight class, she would be hospitalised.

No matter how much the UFC try to push womens MMA I just don't see it ever gaining real traction as in order for it to succeed they will need a LOT more women participating and there isn't the interest. Most women don't like combat sports and that is not sexist, its just a fact.

Just because there aren't 1000 times more women fighting doesn't make it logically follow that the ones who do fight are inherently less talented than men. And with the amount of promotion being put into WMMA by the UFC, and the existence of a dedicated WMMA promotion in Invicta, women's divisions are only going to get deeper and the level of competition is only going to improve. Go to any kickboxing class and you can find a rake of women who like fighting - they are out there but women's MMA has been such a niche in what is already a niche sport that the exposure just hasn't been there. That's all changing now.

Just because there aren't 1000 times more women fighting doesn't make it logically follow that the ones who do fight are inherently less talented than men

I never bought talent into the argument, you can be extremely talented but that doesn't necessarily mean you will be the best. The more people competing, the harder it is to succeed meaning that you have a much higher standard. Its nothing to do with logically following any pattern, its just a basic fact that has been proven throughout history.
    And with the amount of promotion being put into WMMA by the UFC, and the existence of a dedicated WMMA promotion in Invicta, women's divisions are only going to get deeper and the level of competition is only going to improve

Just because a company pushes something and invests in something doesn't mean it will be a success. There are tons of examples of failed campaigns, some spectacular ones (XFL being a good example) - I work in marketing and have done so for the last 13 years so I have a bit of an idea about it.

In regards to the divisions getting deeper; they may but I would be very surprised if it was anything of note. Obviously the more women who fight, the more exposure they will get and in turn get more fighters, but not enough for them to sustain the current level of promotion. Bottom line, UFC can invest as much as they like in WMMA but it wont do much and they will drop it down the pecking order.
    Go to any kickboxing class and you can find a rake of women who like fighting

Completely different. A lot of women do kickboxing for self defence and fitness, but have absolutely no interest in MMA. I have done KB for years as have both my sisters and my wife, I also have many female friends from KB and I can say hand on heart that I don't know any woman who watches or has an interest in MMA and from what they say about the sport, that won't change ever.

I never bought talent into the argument, you can be extremely talented but that doesn't necessarily mean you will be the best. The more people competing, the harder it is to succeed meaning that you have a much higher standard. Its nothing to do with logically following any pattern, its just a basic fact that has been proven throughout history.

You said "men are just better at some things" - just because you don't like watching women fighting doesn't mean women are worse at fighting than men. The talent pool is shallower but there are women fighters that hold their own perfectly well. And given time and support, WMMA will become deeper and consquently the standard will improve.

Just because a company pushes something and invests in something doesn't mean it will be a success. There are tons of examples of failed campaigns, some spectacular ones (XFL being a good example) - I work in marketing and have done so for the last 13 years so I have a bit of an idea about it.

In regards to the divisions getting deeper; they may but I would be very surprised if it was anything of note. Obviously the more women who fight, the more exposure they will get and in turn get more fighters, but not enough for them to sustain the current level of promotion. Bottom line, UFC can invest as much as they like in WMMA but it wont do much and they will drop it down the pecking order.
    Oh I totally agree that the UFC pushing it doesn't automatically mean it will succeed and indeed I think the way the UFC seems to be handling it (building a division around one person) is not the way to approach it and could well be a failure. But a good-looking, media-friendly, talented poster girl like Rousey can only attract more women to the sport. And if the UFC experiment ends, chances are the likes of Invicta will still be working away in the background building up the divisions and deepening the talent pool.
    Completely different. A lot of women do kickboxing for self defence and fitness, but have absolutely no interest in MMA. I have done KB for years as have both my sisters and my wife, I also have many female friends from KB and I can say hand on heart that I don't know any woman who watches or has an interest in MMA and from what they say about the sport, that won't change ever.
    I know plenty of women who do kickboxing and Muay Thai competitively and several more who follow and/or train MMA. Even in the year since I started training I've had girls who wouldn't know their kimuras from their uppercuts ask me all about it and express an interest in taking it up themselves. If the UFC women's division lasts beyond one or two fights I fully expect to see a sprinkling of more ladies showing up to the gym.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Hopefully Ep 2 is better, Plenty of talk about this headlining the card silly now but a lot of people discussed the similar last year about a Bantamweight title fight(Cruz V Faber) headlining a numbered event and would suffer esp when co-main event was scrapped (Penn V Fitch) ended up as prob my fave event last year hopefully this can be a success also. Ruthless Robbie back in the UFC after nearly 10 years should be a laugh :D

Have to agree with Niall0, Roborat maybe you don't realize it but your comments are sexist you show no equality towards womens participation. Not only do some women find the sport barbaric so do plenty of men. A title fight is a title fight would make no sense to have a champ whos submitted 9 opponents in a row by armbar in the first round and the card to be headlinded by Machida who has lost 3 of his last 5 fights.

UFC is the highest level in MMA as the champions league is in football so don't think your league of Ireland comparison is valid, Rousey is fighting in the UFC.
    Couple that with the fact that men are stronger and faster you are left with much more exciting matches IMO.

You say you have no interest in watching women fight but are able to form this opinion, bantamweights like Rousey would most likely be quicker than majority of the Mens Heavier divisions.

Found it funny you go on to suggest a Male V Female match... (Woman gets battered obvs)
    You can say that she is at a higher level technically than most blokes and you may be right but the bottom line is that is she went into the ring with UFC pro male in her weight class, she would be hospitalised

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I dont get a lot of the complaints about womens mma, strikeforce had regular womens fights the past few years since Carano- Cyborg and nobody raised an eyebrow

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

I will never get some of the attitudes that exist towards Womens MMA. I watch fights for the displays of technique and heart. If a technique is performed correctly then its performed correctly, regardless of gender, weight class or any other irrelevant detail. Likewise with displays of heart. Female fighters are just that, fighters. Like their male counterparts they enter into a contest against someone who is on an equal footing to them and then compete with them. Sometimes one person wins handily. Other times they fight back and forth every step of the way. Gender and weight once more are irrelevant.
    Skill is skill. Fights are fights.
    Arguing that they couldn't win against a male is ultimately just making a mockery of the sport because it means you aren't treating it like a sport at all.

All the same arguments can be said about Women's soccer and Rugby but they haven't taken off and why is that? Its because the mens sport is more exciting, has more people participating therefore the standard is higher.

My opinion has nothing to do with heart or talent. I have a little bit of time to watch sport so I spend it watching what I think is the most exciting.
    Skill is skill. Fights are fights.

Milk is milk, cabbage is cabbage, cars are cars..., etc etc etc etc
    I dont get a lot of the complaints about womens mma

I am not complaining, I am just making a point that I don't put them in the same category as the mens fights and I personally think that Hendo/ Machida should be the headline.
    UFC is the highest level in MMA as the champions league is in football so don't think your league of Ireland comparison is valid, Rousey is fighting in the UFC.

Look, you might think I am sexist but I just to note, I was taught how to play football by my mother who has her FAI coaching badges - I went onto play in England albeit at a low level, but I was still good enough to go over and it payed for my university. My sister is an ex-Irish International footballer. I can still say hand on heart that I would much rather watch mens football because the the standard is higher and the game is better IMO. Both my mother and sister agree with this view. Its not sexist, its realist.
    You say you have no interest in watching women fight but are able to form this opinion, bantamweights like Rousey would most likely be quicker than majority of the Mens Heavier divisions.

Yep I am not interested but I have seen plenty of women's fights and in regards to your second point, obviously she would be faster than heavier men so would the lighter divisions in the mens. I said that if she was to fight a bloke in the SAME weight class, she would be destroyed.
    Arguing that they couldn't win against a male is ultimately just making a mockery of the sport because it means you aren't treating it like a sport at all.

I am trying to make a point that the level in the mens is superior to the women's, the only real way to prove this is by the two facing off.

I am just making the point that the UFC is a sport that is watched predominately by blokes. I really cant see that changing as you just need to do the research and its obvious that women don't have the same interest in watching sport as men. MMA is on the extreme side of sports so it will attract even less female attention. The women's division is extremely shallow with one athlete who is on a much higher level than the rest. Unless there is a serious influx of talent which will elevate it, it will remain so and I cant see this happening.

If in 5 years time this has changed I will be more than happy to eat humble pie but I cant see it changing.

All the same arguments can be said about Women's soccer and Rugby but they haven't taken off and why is that? Its because the mens sport is more exciting, has more people participating therefore the standard is higher.

I would say the fact that women are playing said games is a success as women in sports is relatively knew in itself years ago they couldn't compete at all, Males have more history and tradition in sport and the male equivalent for the majority of sports will always be the forerunner the only sport I can think of with amount of coverage/earnings as mens is Tennis.

Soccer for women in the US is bigger than the mens,the weekend gone in the Rugby the women battered England 25-0 where the fellas sent some of the country to sleep.

That being said you cannot continue to compare team sports to fighting.

A team can put in multiple dire performances and lose dozens of games players can be dropped while still being nicely paid,players can get away with poor performances as team mates carry them, in fighting its ultimately down to two who enter the cage poor performances and losses result in a descent to the unknown.
    My opinion has nothing to do with heart or talent. I have a little bit of time to watch sport so I spend it watching what I think is the most exciting.

Wish I had that ability to predict when an exciting fight was gonna happen defo wouldnt have bothered with the recent Evans/LilNog and Rampage/Glover outings (Some heart shown in those fights by the way)

You claim yourself to be a realist concerned with an actual fact yet have posted this rubbish...
    Milk is milk, cabbage is cabbage, cars are cars..., etc etc etc etc

All these listed have multiple variety's skimmed/soya/goats, I wouldnt touch red cabbage and without going into brands/types of cars were the same they'd be the same price.
    in regards to your second point, obviously she would be faster than heavier men so would the lighter divisions in the mens. I said that if she was to fight a bloke in the SAME weight class, she would be destroyed.

You took my point up wrong you were suggesting that men were quicker than women you didnt mention weight class, you were suggesting that quicker makes for better fights yet bantamweight women would be quicker than most heavyweights that was my point.
    I am trying to make a point that the level in the mens is superior to the women's, the only real way to prove this is by the two facing off.

Just plain ridiculous again like others have mentioned women in the UFC is basically a trial run it hasn't got off the ground and Dana White wouldn't have called it the Ronda Rousey Show or whatever had he believed there was depth in it, you wanting to have a woman no matter how talented facing off against a man is just plain weird.
    I am just making the point that the UFC is a sport that is watched predominately by blokes. I really cant see that changing as you just need to do the research and its obvious that women don't have the same interest in watching sport as men. MMA is on the extreme side of sports so it will attract even less female attention.

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/7/19/2283204/dana-white-and-rampage-jackson-comment-on-the-growth-of-female-mma

I would say the fact that women are playing said games is a success as women in sports is relatively knew in itself years ago they couldn't compete at all, Males have more history and tradition in sport and the male equivalent for the majority of sports will always be the forerunner the only sport I can think of with amount of coverage/earnings as mens is Tennis.

Soccer for women in the US is bigger than the mens,the weekend gone in the Rugby the women battered England 25-0 where the fellas sent some of the country to sleep.

Missed the point completely. I am not talking about history of sports, just what is about at the moment. I watched the womens rugby match and although they won, it was played in slow motion compared to the mens.
    Wish I had that ability to predict when an exciting fight was gonna happen defo wouldnt have bothered with the recent Evans/LilNog and Rampage/Glover outings (Some heart shown in those fights by the way)

I never said I had the ability to predict and you are being anal in scrutinising my posts to death.
    You took my point up wrong you were suggesting that men were quicker than women you didnt mention weight class, you were suggesting that quicker makes for better fights yet bantamweight women would be quicker than most heavyweights that was my point.

As above, you are nit picking now.
    Men are faster than women
    Men are stronger than women
    More men watch sports than women
    Mens divisions in the UFC have a much bigger talent pool meaning there is more competition ensuring the fighters have to be at a higher level.
    These are FACTS. You can twist it whatever way to say that there is a woman who is stronger, faster etc but those are the facts.
    Just plain ridiculous again like others have mentioned women in the UFC is basically a trial run it hasn't got off the ground and Dana White wouldn't have called it the Ronda Rousey Show or whatever had he believed there was depth in it, you wanting to have a woman no matter how talented facing off against a man is just plain weird.

I know its a trial run, thats fine but my point, and it was my ORIGINAL point was - why is it top of the bill? Who did Rousey beat to win the UFC title????? I am happy to see it on the card but they need to work on the division before it can be considered a main event. If in a couple of years the level is at the same as the mens then hell yeah, its a main event. It isn't at the moment so it shouldn't be a main event.

In regards to your other point, I don't want to see a bloke fighting a woman, again you are being completely anal about my posts. It was stated that she is at a lot higher level than most blokes in the sport and I was merely making the point that she isn't - the only obvious way to prove that would be in the cage but I don't want to see that.

Anyhow, I'm done with this debate. If in a few years time the womens division has taken off I will be more than happy to eat humble pie - I have a feeling if its scrapped you wont do the same.

Ok RoboRat I obviously have missed the point it was you who first brought up comparisons with other sports as for nit picking if that's what you think it is I felt your posts were very open for contradiction. I could quote you again but I won't although I will answer your question coz I'm sound like that...

Why is this the headline fight?

As with the WEC guys who moved to the UFC following the merger Cruz and Aldo became UFC Champions in their weight categories as those divisions didn't exist the same applies to Rousey she was Strikeforce Bantamweight Champion...division is created in the UFC Rousey is the champ.

A title fight is always main event I don't recall an event where it isn't to change this would diminish the division they are threading the waters with.

True Henderson V Machida might generate more interest thats why it was purposely moved from the Aldo card. Perfect Co-main plenty of other fights of interest on this card too.

I struggle to understand your... come back when they're on the same level attitude, really don't get that, we are talking about 1 v 1 highly trained people in a cage!! We'll just pretend you're not sexist and just simply have no interest in womens participation in UFC cards you'd more than likely be watching anyway.

Part 2

Excellent show, really warming to Rousey, as she said herself "i worked hard to be this confident". Comes across as genuinely likeable, confidence without bordering on cockiness and has an incredible work ethic.

her diet sounds horrible though :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

I am just making the point that the UFC is a sport that is watched predominately by blokes. I really cant see that changing as you just need to do the research and its obvious that women don't have the same interest in watching sport as men.

Did you just pull that stat out of your a*s? Ratings data says otherwise. And even if what you said was true, who says it's only other women that would watch women fight anyway? All of my mates can't wait for this fight; both male & female. There are 6 of us that get together for all UFC PPV shows, and we consider this a big one; mainly due to the main event.

And I personally have more interest in this fight than Hendo/Machida (no disrespect at all to either of them). Rousey is amazing; she has that geuine star-quality and a natural charisma - THAT is what draws money. This PPV has far more mainstream media attention & hype going into it than any show in a long time; and that's good for the sport too.

You know nothing, TBH - you come accross like just another generic beer-swilling know-it-all MMA fan. So speak for yourself and your mates when you say nobody is interested in this fight and that Hendo/Machida is the main draw. This woman is 9-0 in MMA competition, all by first round armbar. Only 1 of those fights went past 60 seconds. Who else has done that? If you don't find that fascinating, you're not a fight fan.
    I bet you thought Brock was bad for "your" sport too, despite him being the biggest MMA PPV draw of all time? But luckily you're not in charge of anything, and they have people with actual business sense & fight-promoting instincts running the show.

• Advertisement

Roar wrote: »
    her diet sounds horrible though :(

I did a double take at that bit - one meal a day to sustain that level of training? No wonder she's always cranky. I'm assuming there's protein shakes and suchlike going on throughout the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

How many strikes has Ronda landed in her MMA career?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

JJayoo wrote: »
    How many strikes has Ronda landed in her MMA career?

I don't know that figure but she has a 60% striking accuracy in her career so far.

EDIT; From what I can work out from FightMetric she has thrown 62 total strikes in her career and landed 60% of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Something I have noticed across MMA is that fighters that are new to contact sport are at a disadvantage to those who have been training & sparin for years.
    I think you can train to be the best a jujitsu, wrestling, boxing etc but the one thing you can really teach, in a short period of time is the ability to get punched in the face and keep moving forward - I think it's just a natural reaction to cover up retreat.
    Brock lesner for example - a beats of a man that had the potential to do good things, but once he got cliped, in the face his first reaction was to cover up, granted he was getting hit by beasts at the time.
    Against carwin he didn't really have much choice as he was pinned to the ground but against Cain & Overeem he was on the back foot.
    I am looking forward to see how Ronda reacts when she gets clipped.
    I think she is a fantasic athlete and has great ground skils but just wonder if all that will go out the window if she get's hit cleanly.
    Not knocking any fighter its just something I have noticed with fighters new to MMA.

I mean if you are sparing full contact since a toung age then getting hit is the norm.
    For brock & rhonda, they have been training for years but not full contact - that has to be a bit of a disadvantage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ronda is sparring with some high level women boxers at least, should prepare her well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

You make good points, but I don't think they really applies to Ronda. In her fights versus Julia Budd and Miesha Tate, she got clipped but held her composure pretty well. Against Budd, she shook off the strikes and jabbed her way to a clinch position, but clinched more easily against Tate whose strikes were more like random arms flailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Fair points - I guess it was more a general comment.
    Like all new fighters that burst onto the scene you want to see they well and truly tested before people start attaching - best pound of pound fighter in the world, best person ever in UFC history ( Something that goldberg does - this was the best fight in history, these are the brightest light bulbs ever used in UFC history, This is the most history made in one night in UFC history bla bla bla )

Hopefully it's a good fight, I don't think it will be as one sided as people think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

If Ronda charges directly at her straight away and gets her to the fence she'll get the take down and she won't be swept and that's the fight over IMO... she's too strong and her judo base is incredible. She might try and stand to show off some striking but that wouldn't be a good idea - don't fix it if it ain't broke. Takedown to G'n'P to armbar first 2 mins.

I thought Sarah Kaufman who has a rake of (T)KO wins might be able to put Rousey on the back foot for a small while but I was totally wrong, I don't see this fight going much different either. If Miesha Tate gets past Cat Zingano then a Tate-Rousey rematch might go to the second round...might. Sara McMann is the most intriguing match-up for her IMO - ADCC silver medal, Olympic wrestling silver medal and a 6-0 MMA record. You have to have grappling credentials to be able to take on Rousey I reckon because she will just walk through strikes and clinch with you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

rain on wrote: »
    I thought Sarah Kaufman who has a rake of (T)KO wins might be able to put Rousey on the back foot for a small while but I was totally wrong, I don't see this fight going much different either. If Miesha Tate gets past Cat Zingano then a Tate-Rousey rematch might go to the second round...might. Sara McMann is the most intriguing match-up for her IMO - ADCC silver medal, Olympic wrestling silver medal and a 6-0 MMA record. You have to have grappling credentials to be able to take on Rousey I reckon because she will just walk through strikes and clinch with you.

Yeah an olympian duel would be awesome in terms of hype, and in seeing Rousey up against someone she cant take down so easily.

I'd also still like to see a Cyborg fight to see how she would fair against someone who's strikes she couldnt just walk through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

rain on wrote: »

Rousey as a submission specialist would destroy McMann as a control specialist.
    The thing I like about Rousey is that her standup will continue to improve.

I like this breakdown it really shows the total control Ronda had in applying the armbar. (Starts at 3.14)

Re: the amount of web traffic Ronda Rousey is drawing.
    She is just a step below Manny Pacquiao (who is the king of web traffic in sports) and Floyd Mayweather, and the same as Brock Lesnar at his UFC peak.

Source: Dave Meltzer / f4wonline.com
    --You know things have gotten out of hand when the press release for Friday night's Showtime boxing card (Art Hovhannisyan vs. Alejandro Perez main event) is all about Ronda Rousey. The story is that Rousey would like to be at the show, because Hovhannisyan trains at the same gym she trains boxing at, but she can't because she's got a fight the next day.

For those idiots that want this to fail - sorry - ain't gonna happen. The press behind this fight is huge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

Lads Dana white really needs to go.

Putting this freak-show as headliner in front of two absolute legendary fighters like Machida and Hendo.

He's murdering the sport of MMA with his bull****. Jon Fitch, Chael Sonnen, undercard fighters salaries, slap on the wrist for doping offences, Metro PCS and all the other product placement.
    This is the pinicle of FIGHTING not a bloody circus.

I know it's a business but if the business doesn't have integrity then it's days are numbered.
    People are already getting sick of this ****.

Your being silly, stop being silly.

welkin wrote: »
    Lads Dana white really needs to go.

Putting this freak-show as headliner in front of two absolute legendary fighters like Machida and Hendo.

He's murdering the sport of MMA with his bull****. Jon Fitch, Chael Sonnen, undercard fighters salaries, slap on the wrist for doping offences, Metro PCS and all the other product placement.
    This is the pinicle of FIGHTING not a bloody circus.

I know it's a business but if the business doesn't have integrity then it's days are numbered.
    People are already getting sick of this ****.

Troll is so subtle... :rolleyes:

welkin wrote: »
    freak-show

circus.

These are the same words that idiot conservative politicians used to use about the entire sport in the 90's when trying to get it banned. And now you use them in reference to women's MMA. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

These are the same words that idiot conservative politicians used to use about the entire sport in the 90's when trying to get it banned. And now you use them in reference to women's MMA. :rolleyes:

The fight is way below the level of the Machida v Hendo fight so I'm surprised more are not saying that the lady fight should be further down the card.

Certainly shouldn't be the main event.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    The fight is way below the level of the Machida v Hendo fight so I'm surprised more are not saying that the lady fight should be further down the card.

If it wasn't a title fight it would be further down the card. But title fights headline, them's the breaks.

If it was the first womens fight in the UFC then it should have been co-main event. The fact it's a title fight is the only reason it's the main event. There couldn't be a title fight without it been the main event. The only times I can remember a title fight being the co-main event was Johnson Vs Benevidez and GSP vs Alves but those cards had Bones vs Belfort and Brock vs Mir as title fights too.

What are you basing that on though? Your opinion, or how it will draw - which is all that matters. It's already done more at the gate than the last time they were there for Cain vs. JDS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement