Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Puppy in cage-Pet shop in Cork

Options
  • 29-08-2009 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭

I'm not going to post the name of the pet shop in case I have my facts wrong, but about 3 weeks ago I was in a pet shop in the Cork and there was a puppy in a cage. Now this particular pet-shop also does grooming, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt and thought that the puppy may be waiting to be picked up after grooming:(He didn't seem to be too happy to be in the cage but I know from bringing my own wee dog to a different groomers that they do put them in enclosures until they are picked up:(

Roll on to yesterday, and a friend of mine was in the same shop and saw the same puppy in the same cage. He didn't ask why the puppy was in the cage. But said that it had food but no water. I am very tempted to go back to this place and find out exactly why this puppy is being kept in a cage there. :mad:

Any thoughts on what I should do? Or does anyone know the petshop I am talking about and perhaps can enlighten me as to why there is a puppy in a cage there?

(just noticed that there is now an animal welfare forum, perhaps a mod can move this for me?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

i think i know the place, is the cage by the counter, two westies?

When I saw them I assumed they were waiting for grooming.

Maybe their owner works there and brings the dogs to work with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well there's no harm in asking the owner what the story is with the dog / why there's no water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

I think you should ask them what the story is with the puppy, that doesn't sound right at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Thanks for the replies, think I will give the place a call tomorrow. There's something not right with it anyways, whatever the reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

lindtee wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, think I will give the place a call tomorrow. There's something not right with it anyways, whatever the reason.

Any update on this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bega

I have heard about this pup in xxxxxx pet shop. Seemingly they sold the rest of the litter. Luckily some kind soul got the pup from the shop without cost. The pup went to animal rescue and has been successfully rehomed!! There have been reports of cruelty to dogs in the grooming parlour within the shop. It is a disgrace that this is been tolerated.:mad:

OMG:mad::mad: I'm sorry that I did not get back to this thread. I never got around to going back down and with everything else going on with getting the kids back to school and getting myself ready for college etc, etc, I didn't ring them:o, I'm very sorry I didn't after reading the last post. How on earth are they allowed to get away with it. I think anyone who knows the store that I am talking about would know what a horrible shop it is....likewise their other branch in the city is horrid too. The day I saw the puppy was the first and last time that I was in the outside the city branch, I was so sickened that I didn't want to believe that the puppy was there for sale. There were other small animals there that didn't look well either, for a newish store, the place was horrendous.

I would urge anyone who knows the stores not to support them in any way. If they can't be closed down by other means, lack of business surely would do the trick. Totally and utterly saddened now and am very sorry I didn't do something about it when I had the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

There's a thread on petshops selling pups on IrishDogs and links to a petition if you want to sign: http://www.irishdogs.ie/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10340&title=wackers-pet-superstore

Can I name the store? I'm livid now, especially after reading the link.......:mad::mad:

I don't think naming & shaming is allowed on Boards....

• Advertisement

For anyone who doesn't have the time/patience to read all of the thread in that link, have a read of today's The Sunday Times, this article was printed: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6823434.ece

And listen to Joe Duffy tomorrow at 1.45pm....

Nope unfortunately it's not, as they can complain about slander

Petshop is named on page 4, 4th post up from the bottom of the thread from your link. :cool:

For anyone who doesn't have the time/patience to read all of the thread in that link, have a read of today's The Sunday Times, this article was printed: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article6823434.ece

And listen to Joe Duffy tomorrow at 1.45pm....

Will def be listening in tomorrow with all my animals!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭aboutimeilogin!

no law breaking! food, water and clean housing!!!
    they would be prosecuted straight away!
    sorry people but technically if you buy something in a shop
    you can go back if there is a problem!
    if you buy it from a private add in the newspaper or interweb, well you
    are more f**ked! no little comeback,,,,
    not saying i'm a fan of this place or the links on this thread.
    but surely would you rather buy something from a shop or a carpark?
    if this is so bad why aren't there loads of complaints about this?
    if you buy a puppy or any animal and give it incorrect husbandry you
    will find yourself down in the vets within days!!!!
    goldfish in tapwater? kitten drinking milk? frog in tapwater??
    puppy eating chocolate? mouse/rat eating cheese? snake heated with a lightbulb in a fish tank??
    not to mention long term illness from prolonged bad husbandry!!
    then you wonder why the law sucks!!!!
    there are kids going around hungary in filthy clothes cos their parents
    can't look after them!!!
    ??? poor puppies!!!

This is the 3rd post of yours I've read and I'm convinced now you're just stirring it.
    When was the last time you saw a child die of hunger in Ireland?? Cop on. If kids are filthy and hungry it's cos their parents won't look after them, not "can't look after them"
    Jesus have you any clue how much work is being done to put a stop to these petshops selling animals?? And you post up ****e like that. Yes you can go back to the shop if there's a problem, it doesn't mean it'll get you anywhere. They sell live animals for gods sake- that makes them immoral, unethical and unscrupulous- where do you think you'll get with someone like that?

Do you know, I'm tired, and I'm peeved with that crap you're spouting so I'm just going to bed- you really shouldn't post in an Animal Welfare section if you care so little about animal welfare. And you should educate yourself a bit more before spreading your ignorance.

I agree with Socket- your posts aren't overly helpful or constructive and I'll ask you to stop using so many explainition points and question marks, we get the point. What have kids going hungry in other countries have to do with petshops selling animals? And how is buying in a carpark on par with buying in a shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

When I saw the thread title I knew right away which pet store it would be!! Haven't seen the puppy in a cage but I have been to the store in town once, and the other one and they are a shower of cowboys!!
    The guy in the town store tried to tell me he was a qualified pet nutritionist and recommended a food to me which was "as good as royal canin", he also advised me on feeding my pup the adult version of this food!! He kept saying that the adult version was great for puppies and that there is no need for puppy food and it's 3 times the price!! I later found out the food isn't good quality, and the very first ingredient of the adult version was 'wheat', when I looked this up the first thing that came up was puppies should not be fed wheat!! I also found out that the reason the puppy food was 3 times the price was because the adult bag was 3kgs but the puppy food was 7.5kgs!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    So, when I went to return the bag the town store was closed so I went to the other store instead!! There was a man and woman there, they seemed like the owners but between the 2 of them they really didn't have a clue!! I was amazed at the amount of tiny animals they were keeping, lots of their hamsters had tiny babies too! I really don't think these people were capable of looking after them properly!
    I won't be returning to that store again! Will definitely sign that petition!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Just saw this thread now,,,that pet shop in cork is at the end of the day a business and nothing more,,they don't seem to show any interest in any of their animals welfare.I bought a rat in there and a few days later ended up going to the vet with him as he had mites,(luckily he was white so i could see them) the vet asked where i bought him and and when i mentioned the name she shook her head and said "I thought so,,,"..I informed the pet shop of the mites and they dinied there was any problem and went to prove it to me by lifting up the remaining rat by the tail ( something you should never do to a rat) to show how clean he was,,,I was offered a spray for the mites free of charge but told him no thanks as it was not recommended for my rat as he was on medication from the vet...They had also in a small pen on the ground with 3 pug puppys (no food or water either)which i felt a little odd about as i have never seen pups for sale in a pet shop before. Needless to say I'll NEVER go back there again or to either there new shop in blackpool or to their mallow shop,,.just dont give them the business they dont deserve it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

you should see the terapins they 'have' in there now..

• Advertisement

What a rotten place:mad::mad: Amazing (well, not really) that I didn't have to name and shame and anyone from Cork knew where I was talking about. I was in the branch in cork about twice, the first time, for a look....and just shocked with the conditions of the animals, and they had "live" crickets and mealworms (to feed lizards) for sale...but most of them were dead:rolleyes: Against my better judgement we went in again, as we were looking for pet rats.....they had a male and female together, and the advice we were getting from the guy was completely wrong (we as novices knew more from reading the net) And they were charging €38 or thereabouts per rat. (We didn't buy)

In the other branch in BP, there was what I think was a gerbil who seemed to be riddled with mange and had weepy eyes...........the list goes on.

I believe that the shop in the city has been around for years(may have moved)....but I can't understand how they have been getting away with it for so long or who in their right mind is actually supporting them on a regular basis:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

unfortunatley if you dont know any better it all may seems fine.The business has beeen around for years but not on such a large scale,,now there are 3 shops including one in mallow which although new has never smelled pleasent .I went in to buy rat food hoping it would be better than the city shop but i was told they didn't have any and to just buy hamster food as its all the same,,It is not ,,there may be some ingredents the same but over all hamster food is not good for rats as its too fattenng,,in fairness they should know better,as you can imagine i declined the hamster food...
    Who can you report this kind of lazyness and bad husbandry to ,,surely they have inspectors for this kind of thing,,,,It just makes me mad....

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A general question: does anyone know the law regarding taking photos/film of the conditions, and reporting it to the Prevention of Animal Cruelty in Ireland? Even though said organisation may have no powers, it'd be interesting to see if they had any other reports about said shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

the_syco wrote: »
    A general question: does anyone know the law regarding taking photos/film of the conditions, and reporting it to the Prevention of Animal Cruelty in Ireland? Even though said organisation may have no powers, it'd be interesting to see if they had any other reports about said shop.

there isn't any,snap/film away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

A general question: does anyone know the law regarding taking photos/film of the conditions, and reporting it to the Prevention of Animal Cruelty in Ireland?

Dodgy grounds. Although it is deemed a public place during trading times the owner can refuse to let you film/snap. Best done with a covert camera preferably video, using tape.

Unless of course you can capture the footage from outside the shop from the footpath, then no one can stop you, however, be prepared for confrontation if the owner/agent sees you i.e. don't put yourself at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

If it's the place I think it is, I've seen some awful things in there when I went to visit once.

There was a large almost ceiling-high enclosure, full of baby rabbits. There was a young boy in the enclosure with them, and at first I thought he was picking a rabbit. Then I saw him pick one up, and literally hurl it in the air. The poor rabbit bounced off the side of the enclosure and fell to the floor.

I asked the boy what he was doing, and he went white as a sheet. I went to speak to the only member of staff I could find, and he simply said "sorry about that" and sent what I presume was his other child to tell him to get out of the pen.

Needless to say, I won't be going back there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is still a private place which the public are invited in to buy stuff. Taking pictures without consent could leave you on the receiving end of a civil summons/injunction.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I wouldnt even think about putting my dog in a cage in my own house. Thats just cruel. If My garden was any smaller I wouldnt even have my big dog out there.

There were kittens in a cage there yesterday.........And I didn't say anything (was too scared to to be honest) I was in a near by toy shop so decided to have a peep in......big mistake! What a rotten shop.:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 petangels

This really needs to be dealt with by the correct authorties....

Advertisement