Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Featherweight vs Lightweight Division

Options
  • 04-09-2015 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭

Which is the stronger division?

Sooner or later McGregor will inevitably make the step up and I'm just wondering which division you think is the strongest. As someone who's just getting in to UFC I'm just trying to get your opinions on which division you think is stronger and which division a man of McGregor's size is suitable to. 5'9", big reach, tough cut etc. Will he struggle against the taller opponents or will he relish the extra 10 pounds?

Featherweight has the world number 1 pound for pound in Aldo, 11 in McGregor and 13 in Edgar. If you exclude Conor that's two in the top 15. Mendes was in there until he lost in UFC 189 iirc.

Lightweight has RDA at 8 and Pettis at 13.

Obviously both divisions have top fighters too who don't quite make the top 15 p4p.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Currently, I think the top of the featherweight division is stronger than the lightweight division.

Aldo, McGregor, Mendes, Edgar, Holloway (I'm taking him #5 over Lamas all day long). In comparison to the lightweight top 5 of Dos Anjos, Pettis, Cowboy, Khabib and Alvarez/Dariush. I give the edge to the 145 division at the top.

However, the lightweight division absolutely has more depth. You have the likes of Poirier, Felder, Pearson, Duffy hiding out in the middle of that division and for me, you don't find talent like that that far down at featherweight.

So overall, featherweight tougher at the top but lightweight a far deeper division IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

LW marginally for me. Don't care what the Rankings say, Ferguson and Johnson are way ahead of Alvarez for a title shot. I don't think Conor will have as much fun up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Paully D wrote: »
    Currently, I think the top of the featherweight division is stronger than the lightweight division.

Aldo, McGregor, Mendes, Edgar, Holloway (I'm taking him #5 over Lamas all day long). In comparison to the lightweight top 5 of Dos Anjos, Pettis, Cowboy, Khabib and Alvarez/Dariush. I give the edge to the 145 division at the top.

However, the lightweight division absolutely has more depth. You have the likes of Poirier, Felder, Pearson, Duffy hiding out in the middle of that division and for me, you don't find talent like that that far down at featherweight.

So overall, featherweight tougher at the top but lightweight a far deeper division IMO.

Pretty much agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Paully D wrote: »

mdwexford wrote: »
    Pretty much agree with this.

I was about to post, BUT:

Yup, these two guys nailed it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

darced wrote: »

Wasnt Edgar lightweight champ? looks like the FW is stronger :)

darced wrote: »

Youve Lamas
    Chad
    Mcgregor
    Aldo
    Zombie
    Edgar
    Holloway
    Swanson
    Stephens
    Bermudez

Thats a fairly deep division imo id say they re near on equal come to think of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

evo2000 wrote: »
    Youve Lamas
    Chad
    Mcgregor
    Aldo
    Zombie
    Edgar
    Holloway
    Swanson
    Stephens
    Bermudez

Thats a fairly deep division imo id say they re near on equal come to think of it..
    Thats more or less the top 10. And there's a very clear split between the top guys, and the second tier. Zombie is a great fighter to watch, one of my top 5 subs wins vrs Garcia, but he's flawed also. Lamas and Cub were exposed verses Mendes and Edgar. And so on.

Lightweight is a bigger division, I think it takes longer to get a shot at the top 10, simply because there's more depth to the duvusion as a whole.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Thats more or less the top 10. And there's a very clear split between the top guys, and the second tier. Zombie is a great fighter to watch, one of my top 5 subs wins vrs Garcia, but he's flawed also. Lamas and Cub were exposed verses Mendes and Edgar. And so on.

Lightweight is a bigger division, I think it takes longer to get a shot at the top 10, simply because there's more depth to the duvusion as a whole.

Same thing can be said for the lightweight division aswell, i think both divisions are equally stacked tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 39,088 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

evo2000 wrote: »
    Same thing can be said for the lightweight division aswell, i think both divisions are equally stacked tbh

At the top maybe, but it falls off a lot faster at 145. It's my noeans terrible though. Is consider it one of the top 3 divisions along with WW.
    BW, MW and LHW are definitely shallower. Ands HW and Fl.W are the weakest by a long shot

Advertisement