Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andrew McGahon from SevereMMA standing alongside... - Ask Me Anything

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

scudzilla wrote: »
    What's your relationship like with SbG and the Irish fighters in the UFC, can you still just call/text them and ask for an interview/quote or do they have media people. Particularly interested in how easy it is for you to get hold of Conor now compared to 18months ago

I'd like to say pretty good. With the rise of sites "covering" MMA and looking to make videos or interview fighters I'd say it's pretty common SBG gets requests to come film or do projects on ammy guys or someone comes around looking to do documentary's on Irish MMA and would open with

YEAH WE JUST WANT TO DO A DOC COS WE LOVE IRISH MMA ON GUYS LIKE REDSER, NORMAN, CATHAL.... and conormcgregorokthanksbye :D:D:D but if I see any of the guys at a show and ask for an interview it's never a problem. Maybe it would be different if I was starting off now but they know it's gonna be well viewed, generally well recieved and it's not a Ray D'arcy on Pendred situation or John on tv3 which can turn into a hatchet job. That being said Graeme who runs the site would have all the guys numbers, leading up to their fights he will say let's go to ryano and interview X or let's try set something up with Y. He would then contact the fighters and who ever owns the gym to make sure it's ok then he tells me where to be and when I've to be there.

Conor has spent most of the time out of the country but I don't see when he is home and has decompressed from the last hectic 8 months of his life that we wouldn't be able to set up something with him. Generally he's always been very excellent to me, even snapping at a PR person mid interview saying these guys are ok, I'm not gonna lie that was secretly brilliant

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Do you have any advice for anyone going to 194 :)

enjoy it, embrace vegas for what it is or it will overwhelm you. Try get to see some of the strip and walk as far down as you can. Make sure to try chilli cheese fries ( i only did in july ) and they're amazing. I'd also say get a Fogo De Chao it's a brazilian all you can eat steak house and It's the happiest place on earth.

In relation to fight week activities, there'll be the open work outs, maybe a presser open to public and weigh ins. All of these for atmosphere alone are a must do.

Also it will be December, so don't eat yellow snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Do you have any formal journalism quals or 'training' ie: Degree etc?

Have you any previous journalistic experience prior to working for SevereMMA?

John_D80 wrote: »
    Do you have any formal journalism quals or 'training' ie: Degree etc?

Have you any previous journalistic experience prior to working for SevereMMA?

None.

I started at 17 on a community radio show. Actually here is the thread that started it. I've just cringed so many times reading it and especially my call on G Sots... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66086421 :p

I had an interest in Radio and Media when I was younger and this opportunity was right up the road from me ( literally , 5 min walk ) so I got started with those guys. Then I started writing for fight hounds and after that YourMMA.TV. I liked writing in school but looking back now I'd be scared to read anything I wrote in the past, especially if i just reacted like I did to that thread.

This day 4 years ago I was offered English in Drama and UCD cos I didn't get the points for Journalism or Multimedia in DCU. 3 days away from starting in UCD I decided i wasn't going to college for the sake of it and opted against it. I rang Ballyfermot Institute of Further Education and begged them for a last min interview for their 1 year media course. It was BTEC the UK version of a level 5 PLC. That year made me realise not to judge people, I got a lot of stick from people cos i got a good enough leaving went to a good school in dundalk but ended up doing a PLC which has a stigma attached to it. After a month in Ballyer I decided I'd stay there and apply for their 2 year Radio course instead of trying to get into DCU via a back door. Best decision I could have made and around this time last year I decided to defer my last year in BCFE which was a 1 year degree that's awarded from DCU.

I don't believe you need a degree in this field, you just need passion and experience. The work load was pretty much 2/3 years of college crammed into 1 in Ballyfermot and a lot of my friends went on to do it and said it was a tough year. The way I look at my life now experiences mean the most to me. Had I done that last year of college I'd not have been able to travel to Stockholm x2, Vegas x2, Brazil, Portugal, the UK, Rome, Bahrain, Boston and other places covering MMA and competing BJJ.

Do what you love and it all falls into place.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    None.

I started at 17 on a community radio show. Actually here is the thread that started it. I've just cringed so many times reading it and especially my call on G Sots... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66086421 :p

I had an interest in Radio and Media when I was younger and this opportunity was right up the road from me ( literally , 5 min walk ) so I got started with those guys. Then I started writing for fight hounds and after that YourMMA.TV. I liked writing in school but looking back now I'd be scared to read anything I wrote in the past, especially if i just reacted like I did to that thread.

This day 4 years ago I was offered English in Drama and UCD cos I didn't get the points for Journalism or Multimedia in DCU. 3 days away from starting in UCD I decided i wasn't going to college for the sake of it and opted against it. I rang Ballyfermot Institute of Further Education and begged them for a last min interview for their 1 year media course. It was BTEC the UK version of a level 5 PLC. That year made me realise not to judge people, I got a lot of stick from people cos i got a good enough leaving went to a good school in dundalk but ended up doing a PLC which has a stigma attached to it. After a month in Ballyer I decided I'd stay there and apply for their 2 year Radio course instead of trying to get into DCU via a back door. Best decision I could have made and around this time last year I decided to defer my last year in BCFE which was a 1 year degree that's awarded from DCU.

I don't believe you need a degree in this field, you just need passion and experience. The work load was pretty much 2/3 years of college crammed into 1 in Ballyfermot and a lot of my friends went on to do it and said it was a tough year. The way I look at my life now experiences mean the most to me. Had I done that last year of college I'd not have been able to travel to Stockholm x2, Vegas x2, Brazil, Portugal, the UK, Rome, Bahrain, Boston and other places covering MMA and competing BJJ.

Do what you love and it all falls into place.

Awesome answer. Well done for chasing your dream. Hats off to you. Cant believe you are only 22 or 23 though. Keep doing what you are doing and you will go even farther in your profession.

I had a look at that thread. Massive LOL at your comment re: George Sotiropolous, being champion within two years!!!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭glass half full

Have you had a chance to speak to Dana and if so, describe him in 3 words.

Have you had a chance to speak to Dana and if so, describe him in 3 words.

yeah I've interviewed him one on one before.

dont annoy him

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭glass half full

What was your take on the Silva NSAC hearing?

Also as a dj, what extra tracks would you have added to the playlist?

I feel Inner Circle- Sweat was a missed opportunity!

What was your take on the Silva NSAC hearing?

Also as a dj, what extra tracks would you have added to the playlist?

I feel Inner Circle- Sweat was a missed opportunity!

didn't have great wifi over there so didn't get to watch it yet.

Get Up by James Brown is one I'd have thrown out !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Petermc83

Petermc83 wrote: »
    Hey Andrew, i met you at the 189 expo before your fight at the Reebok stand where we ripped the **** out of the new uniforms..Thanks for the free pass for the Saturday too!! Came in handy to see the Hall of Fame ceremony. Top man and sound to boot!

What is the best UFC fight you have witnessed live ?

Where do you see the UFC in 10years time?

Keep up the great work on the site and keep those podcasts coming!

How was Bahrain ?

Petermc83 wrote: »
    Hey Andrew, i met you at the 189 expo before your fight at the Reebok stand where we ripped the **** out of the new uniforms..Thanks for the free pass for the Saturday too!! Came in handy to see the Hall of Fame ceremony. Top man and sound to boot!

What is the best UFC fight you have witnessed live ?

Where do you see the UFC in 10years time?

Keep up the great work on the site and keep those podcasts coming!

Sorry I missed this one! Is this place bugged? I DO NOT RECALL DISSING ANY REEBOK PRODUCTS.... ahem.

No problem, hopefully you enjoyed it. a lot of people said the previous expos were better and it was easier to meet fighters as the brands would have stalls and pay the fighters instead of massive queues for a pic and goodbye.

hmm, Lawler vs MacDonald would be the answer to that but I was in the press room editing before the main event. That's a tough one actually I can't think off the top of my head what the best UFC fight was.

Cerrone and Henderson maybe? that was a cracker although it lacked a bit of dynamite.

Still knocking around, saying it's the fastest growing sport in the world and probably on ESPN in the states but hard to guess where rest of world market would be.

Bahrain was brilliant also, very thankful to be able to get over there and cover. A day of editing awaits as the wifi was pretty bad over there so getting lots of stuff up today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Who's the nicest guy in MMA you've come across and why?

Who's the biggest nob you've come across, again why?

What's the best freebie you've ever been given from within the MMA circle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

yeah I've interviewed him one on one before.

dont annoy him

Sounds like the voice of experience...

Did you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Just wanna say I admire all your work! Your a fantastic credit to Irish journalism!

You have achieved so much in your short career would you say you have reached top of your game with tour latest trip or have you got one ultimate goal??

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Whereabouts were you seated in the arena at 189, at the octagon side tables you see set up with people working away or elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Drumsnotdead

Did you ever consider competing in MMA since you are a member of a BJJ club that has many amateur fighters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

You could interview yourself afterwards. Another MMA first

Would you consider doing an AMA over on the AMA forum for non fans?? I'm sure there would be a good response.

Are you dead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Do you know who shot Jr?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

ASOT wrote: »
    Do you know who shot Jr?

Everyone does

Who's the nicest guy in MMA you've come across and why?

Who's the biggest nob you've come across, again why?

What's the best freebie you've ever been given from within the MMA circle

Dustin Poirier seems to be one of the genuine guys I've spoken to. Gives off a great vibe and is really humble. Uriah Hall and Marcus Brimmage are two really genuine nice guys too, Brimmage especially is a sweetheart. He is big on goal setting and following passion too so I like him for that. Here is the hall interview, i consider it one of my best.

Generally positive experiences to be fair, i did think whiteford was a nob at the start but once you talk to him you realise he is a good guy. I think the shades indoors trying to be a bit of a McGregor threw me off him initially. Other than that I'm trying to think who I felt was a dick. Nobody off the top of my head sadly.

I get no freebee's! Apart from getting into the venue. Well the Bahrain trip was covered so I suppose that, but otherwise Chris Fields for years would give me Mjolnir / Gunnar Nelson hoodies from after his fights. I had 3 at one stage I think, i still have the red hoody that the Mjolnir guys wear now. It's huge

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Sounds like the voice of experience...

Did you?

nah I never did, just stories from media guys. I'm not even on his radar haha

but1er wrote: »
    Just wanna say I admire all your work! Your a fantastic credit to Irish journalism!

You have achieved so much in your short career would you say you have reached top of your game with tour latest trip or have you got one ultimate goal??

Thank you kindly, that's lovely of you to say but I never call myself a journalist haha. I'll take reporter or interviewer. I think it's unfair on those like petesy who are brilliant journalists / storytellers. Maybe I'm under selling myself there but who knows.

I wouldn't say it's the top of my game. Admittedly my perspective of what I want from this as a career has changed over the last 12 months. I thought for so long I wanted to big the big star, most known in the Ariel role but I'm not taking to that idea as well as I thought. I just want to keep doing what i love, obviously the goals change by the year as the older ones get smashed. I guess the ultimate goal in life is a BJJ Black belt and to have a full time job covering MMA and or presenting on the radio, but I also want to open my own BJJ gym down the line ( long term ) in my town of Dundalk as I never had a dedicated facility to focus on when I was younger and starting out. I want to give someone an easier path to the BJJ lifestyle than I ever had.

If you give up on your dreams because they're too big then you never wanted them in the first place. The most important thing is that nobody should ever make you doubt yourself, your ability or what you want from your own life. So I'm gonna keep plugging away :)

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Whereabouts were you seated in the arena at 189, at the octagon side tables you see set up with people working away or elsewhere?

I was in the auxiliery media seating. I was actually in the press room the whole night bar Seery, Cathal and Conor's fights. i was backstage editing the scrums and in good company so I waited until the main event to head to the arena. Generally those who do interviews and operate video have seats in the arena with a ticket, as going to and from press row would be a hassle and it's reserved for deadline or print writers.

Did you ever consider competing in MMA since you are a member of a BJJ club that has many amateur fighters?

Yep, I've started to do no-gi with gloves recently to help guys get ready for fights. I'm enjoying it and have always considered MMA.

When i started it was in this crappy MMA club called the fight pit, I posted about it on here years ago actually. They had an MMA show after 6 months, the guys weren't going to the BJJ classes because the fight wouldn't be going to the ground etc. Needless to say only one of them one and weirdly enough it was by a guillotine. I said I'd never get into a cage until I felt i was able to be safe on the ground and not get embarrassed like those guys did.

Watching the standard and having trained with many amatuer fighters around Ireland I know i would be more than capable of holding my own and winning ammy mma fights on the ground, but I'm not too big a fan of getting hit. Maybe I'll get used it to more and I do it more but until then I'm happy being the extra body in the gym every day when needed for these guys no-gi. As well as going off and doing all my gi based sessions.

You could interview yourself afterwards. Another MMA first

yeah, that would definitely be something alright haha. Step back and forth into the different positions.

Would you consider doing an AMA over on the AMA forum for non fans?? I'm sure there would be a good response.

I would, is there such a forum? Would there be an interest?

Are you dead?

I took a sabbatical that's all :)

ASOT wrote: »
    Do you know who shot Jr?

your man from father ted

• Advertisement

Yeah I think there would be a lot of interest to be fair, considering the recent popularity surge in Irish MMA.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1647

There's the link to the forum. Check out some of the old AMA's. Best one's (IMO) and definitely worth a read were the Prison Officer, Merchant Navy officer, Traveller and the Man with two mothers.

I dont think they get very many volunteers so I reckon they would jump at the chance to get you on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,905 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah I think there would be a lot of interest to be fair, considering the recent popularity surge in Irish MMA.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1647

+1 on this. I glanced at an 'MMA' thread on after hours once and quickly removed myself to safety. I think with Conor's success, a lot of people would have questions about MMA and it would be great to have someone with actual knowledge of the sport to answer back and not some dopes on TV3. Well worth putting it forward anyway. Might turn into an MMA AMA (haha) more than an MMA Journo AMA though.

This would be so much fun, i'd troll the ****e outta ya :pac::pac:

So then mister, if i wanted to fight and train UFC how long before i could step into a cage?

How many people died in the cage last year, i heard it was 79

Why do they still allow eye gouging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What were your thoughts before, during and after your Liveline appearance re: the Dublin leg of the McGregor/Aldo World Tour?

Paully D wrote: »
    What were your thoughts before, during and after your Liveline appearance re: the Dublin leg of the McGregor/Aldo World Tour?

Well funny you mention it.

They rang me after getting my number off someone when they saw my tweet about seeing someone fall flat on their face at 7pm. i knew they were going to put it under the bus completely.

So to the researcher I pretended i was pissed off and I was there as a professional doing a job and it was disgraceful and awful. That way I knew I'd get on the air, so when I got on air I pulled a wild card and went the other way to what I said i was going to say. Otherwise I'd not have gotten on.

During it I was fine thought it was funny, I noticed his tone change and line of questioning go away. My only regret is not saying You could slide tackle someone on the street and you'd still get arrested. Afterwards I felt pretty good that I'd represented well, despite being annoyed I didn't get to throw a few more one liners in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Any link to podcast of that liveline show!?, sounds good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

califano wrote: »
    Any link to podcast of that liveline show!?, sounds good.

http://severemma.com/2015/04/audio-andrew-mcgahon-on-rte-radios-liveline/

It's hilarious listening. The disgust in Duffy's voice as he announces that Andrew is from SevereMMA still makes me laugh to this day, along with Duffy's sarcastic "oh that's reassuring" when it's pointed out you can't kick to the head when the opponent is on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

SEVERE... hahaha yeah Duffy was slightly rattled there seeing it didnt go down the alley he was expecting!. A researcher probably got a boot in the hole afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

http://severemma.com/2015/04/audio-andrew-mcgahon-on-rte-radios-liveline/[/url]

It's hilarious listening. The disgust in Duffy's voice as he announces that Andrew is from SevereMMA still makes me laugh to this day, along with Duffy's sarcastic "oh that's reassuring" when it's pointed out you can't kick to the head when the opponent is on the ground

Just listen to this for the first time last night. Was great to hear Joe sandwiched between two educated MMA fans and professionals.

Great job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

Just listen to this for the first time last night. Was great to hear Joe sandwiched between two educated MMA fans and professionals.

Great job.
    That was actually quite annoying at the time. I wasn't in any way asked about the drunk fans or the controversy. The researcher asked more about me and said I was just going to talk about Conor. By the time I got on Joe had already been spouting some ridiculous crap. I tried to be honest about the stupid questions (random insults) that annoyed me while defending MMA in general. Andrew got the worst of it by far and did very well. If we had a round two I probably would have been more aggressive in response to Joe's ridiculous points, I was genuinely nervous being on the radio.

Now it's just a good laugh to listen to :)

Advertisement