Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long do you keep make up for?

• 17-09-2014 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how long so you keep make up for? I have some gel eyeliners for over 12 mths and seriously considering it's time to bin them. Also have eyeshadows over 12 mths is it time to dump them?
    So tell me how long do you keep the following for:
    Mascara
    Pencil eyeliner
    Gel eyeliner
    Lipstick
    Foundation
    Primer
    Blusher
    Eye shadows
    Highlighter
    Liquid blusher
    Concealer

Oh I may as we'll include perfumes in here too. I have a few older ones and I definitely think they have lost their scent!!
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Re perfume, keep it in the dark and it'll stay perfect for a long time. I found a 15 year old bottle of YSL Baby Doll in the depths of a drawer last year and it smells exactly the same as the new bottle I bought around the same time!
    The only thing I'm really careful with is mascara, I replace it every 3 months or sooner if the smell changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Mascara - 3 to 6 months depending on texture or oder
    Pencil eyeliner - Don't really use these but a paring and alcohol spray every few uses should keep it fresh until it's finished.
    Gel eyeliner - Until it dries up, usually happens long before it has a chance to go bad. Probably 6ish months.
    Lipstick - A couple of years. Alcohol spray should keep them fresh. When they get a funny taste they go in the bin.
    Foundation - Never had any long enough to go off, a bottle usually lasts me 6 to 12 months.
    Primer - Same as foundation
    Blusher - Powder should last forever with the odd spritz of alcohol spray, and as long as it's kept out of the sun.
    Eye shadows - Same as blush
    Highlighter - Same as blush
    Liquid blusher - 12ish months
    Concealer - 12ish months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Mascara I change every couple of months. I wear contacts and find old, dry mascara really irritates my eyes.

Pencil eyeliner I use until it's gone matter how old it is. I figure you're paring it all the time so you're removing anything really germy. I spray it with alcohol spray the odd time too and always replace the cap when storing it.

Gel eyeliner, same as above, keep using until it's gone. A make up artist once told me replace the lid in between lining eyes as all those seconds with the lid off add up and can make it dry out faster. If you check youtu there's videos too showing you how to bring dried up gel liners back to life. Goss make up has a good video on this.

Lipstick, again keep using until it's gone. Spray with sanitiser the odd time or wipe with a tissue to keep it clean. I go through lipsticks quick enough though.

Foundation, I usually use up a creme compact in 3 months or so. Finishing powders, blushers, eyeshadows, I use until they're gone, just spraying them with sanitiser every so often to keep them clean.

Cleaning your brushes regularly will also help extend the life of your cosmetics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I see alcohol spray being mentioned here and on another thread. What spray do people use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I see alcohol spray being mentioned here and on another thread. What spray do people use?

You can buy bottles of isopropyl alcohol in most pharmacies. I just put some in a spray bottle I bought in pennies, I think boots sell similar ones too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement