Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaisce Award - QUESTIONS

Options
  • 27-08-2014 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

I am considering doing the gaisce bronze award this year in ty and have a few questions about it.

1) First of all is it difficult and stressful. Is it sometime you would groan about remembering you have to continue you work and effort for the gaisce or is it something you look forward to and have fun doing it.

2) Regarding the personal skills section of it, does studying for the driver theory test count as personal skill. I believe you have to be 16 to take the test if you want your learner permit with an actual car by 18, but I turn 16 is in mid April 2015 so i don't understand where the 13 weeks would come into this. Any other ideas for personal skill. Does it have to be done with someone else or can you carry out the personal skill by yourself, e.g learning to code (HTML, JAVA) online.

3) And regarding the adventure journey, will this be organised by the school for all people participating in gaisce or do you have to organise this yourself.

4) Last but not least, is it actually worth it all. If you get the award at the end do you feel a sense of satisfaction or do you just feel like you wasted 13 weeks doing something you don't enjoy.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

3) And regarding the adventure journey, will this be organised by the school for all people participating in gaisce or do you have to organise this yourself.

The school normally organises this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

VG31 wrote: »
    The school normally organises this.

ok that takes off some pressure. Are you able to join the local football club for the physical part of gaisce

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dublinyeayea

Whats gaisce?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

1) First of all is it difficult and stressful. Is it sometime you would groan about remembering you have to continue you work and effort for the gaisce or is it something you look forward to and have fun doing it.

Depending on what you choose to do. It can be enjoyable and give you the chance to do something you would never do otherwise and after all it is only for 13 weeks. Just be sure to know that one of your areas (skill, physical, community) will have to be 26 weeks.
    2) Regarding the personal skills section of it, does studying for the driver theory test count as personal skill. I believe you have to be 16 to take the test if you want your learner permit with an actual car by 18, but I turn 16 is in mid April 2015 so i don't understand where the 13 weeks would come into this. Any other ideas for personal skill. Does it have to be done with someone else or can you carry out the personal skill by yourself, e.g learning to code (HTML, JAVA) online.

I'm not entirely sure whether studying for the theory test would be regarded as a personal skill but learning to drive would. You can carry out the skill by yourself. It can be learning guitar or any instrument, drama classes, dancing, computer skills, web design/development, art, first aid, life saving, painting etc.

The school will organise it for you and this will turn out to be the most enjoyable part of the whole thing, despite having to walk at least 25km or whatever activity your school decides.
    4) Last but not least, is it actually worth it all. If you get the award at the end do you feel a sense of satisfaction or do you just feel like you wasted 13 weeks doing something you don't enjoy.

You don't exactly feel an overwhelming sense of achievement, but you will be glad you've done it and have it behind you. If you choose something you enjoy you won't feel like you've wasted 13 weeks doing it. It is a good experience and the most enjoyment will come from the adventure journey. Gaisce is a good thing to have done and will look good on the CV and when you're in TY you will have loads of spare time so why not :) Also, there will be an application fee of €15 for the bronze award.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Whats gaisce?

Gaisce is the President's Award.
    http://www.gaisce.org/

Many schools do the Bronze Award with TY students, though it doesn't have to be done in school.

• Advertisement
Advertisement