Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arm Pit injections - excessive sweating

• 08-04-2013 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

Have heard about botox injection for underarm to stop excessive sweating.
    I shower daily, and have used all kinds of deodorant but still continue to sweat a lot especially in nice weather and nights out. It really bothers me as I have to try avoid wearing bright colors cause the sweat patch's are really obvious and embarrassing.

Can anyone recommend anywhere in Dublin that does the injections? what's the procedure and how much are they?
    is there any where up north that does them cheaper?

Appreciate all advice and help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Don't know anywhere that does this but have you tried Driclor? It's brilliant. You put it on the night before and wash it off the next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Don't know anywhere that does this but have you tried Driclor? It's brilliant. You put it on the night before and wash it off the next morning.

+1 for driclor it is brilliant. You buy it in a pharmacy but make sure not to apply it on broken/or just shaven skin as it will be very painful. And a little goes a long way! Try it out I would be gobsmacked if it didn't work for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Maybe ask your gps recommendation.
    I'm not sure if this is considered a medical procedure that you get in a hospital or in a cosmetic clinic.
    Maybe ring around those cosmetic surgery clinics and ask their prices .

I could never use driclor as I found no matter how dry my underarms were the sting never drove me crazy. Really painful. Now i use Mitchum sprays and I find it great. But if I wear very synthetic material tops I could sweat. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

mathepac wrote: »

That would sum up my experience alright
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I think the poster applied too much! It happened to me before and the pain was unreal that it was actually sore lifting up my arms but as I said a little goes a long way!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

Go to your GP And get referred to Plastics in the hospital, they carry out the injections for sweating. I get this done every 4 months for the past 6 years, and it is the only thing that stops me sweating .
    None of the over the counter nor prescriptive products/ drugs worked for me. It is not for everyone , but it has changed my life & i can wear most normal clothes now.But there is side effects, eg you can start sweating more in other places , mine is down my back , which i can live with.
    I avoid wearing cotton tops as this retains the sweat & I was changing clothes 3/4 times a day.
    I had Iontophoresis done on my hands & feet and this worked a treat.I try this also under my arm but it burned me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

I resorted to working my way along the top of the duvet, trying to get that “other side of the pillow” effect for my pits because the cold air just wasn’t cold enough to give any relief.

Its been 10 years + since i used this product but i still remember nights like this!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'd assume the OP has used Driclor etc if he/she is asking about botox? :/ Maybe not!

Anyway I always found Driclor to be hell...I used to use Perspirex which was a lot less harsh on my skin..and does the same thing. Just make sure you haven't shaved your armpits in about 2 days.

Luckily I kinda grew outta excessive sweating. Quite normal now. But between the ages of 14 and 18 (before I found perspirex) I simply wouldn't wear any colour t-shirt except black :o

I know people that have got botox and think it's great. It is expensive though and only lasts a while..so only use it if you really need to/have the money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I use Anhydrol Forte which I don't find as stingy as the driclor. And as lialia has suggested, perspirex is another choice.
    There is also a permanent soluation for hyperhydrosis- Sympathectomy, which involves the cutting of nerves under the arms which are responsible for sweating. It has it risks though and like the botox can cause compensatory sweating elsewhere. I was actually considering the proecedure in the past for blushing:o http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endoscopic_thoracic_sympathectomy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

+1 on Anhydrol Forte. I gently dab it on every three days, I never sweat. Bottle probably last's me a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 davecli

Hi ,

I have just had a Endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy (ETS) for Raynauds caused by an overactive Sympathetic Nervous System. Not the same as your problems but regarding the sweating it does work. If you can get a appointment to see a cardiovascular surgeon, do. I have had excessive sweating underarms all my life along with my palms and cold hands and as I found out 4 weeks ago it was all down to an Overactive Sympathetic Nervous System.

Might be what you have but get yourself looked at first.

D

davecli wrote: »
    Hi ,

I have just had a Endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy (ETS) for Raynauds caused by an overactive Sympathetic Nervous System. Not the same as your problems but regarding the sweating it does work. If you can get a appointment to see a cardiovascular surgeon, do. I have had excessive sweating underarms all my life along with my palms and cold hands and as I found out 4 weeks ago it was all down to an Overactive Sympathetic Nervous System.

Might be what you have but get yourself looked at first.

D

That is very interesting, I have suffered terrible circulation in my hands, causing them to be purple in cold/normal weather and red as they warm up. They are rarely a normal colour. I am not sure is it raynauds as I only get the white numbness on the tips of my fingers about once or twice a week if its cold. Also suffer from sweaty palms and I would sweat from my underarms more than average too. And still suffer from excessive blushing which I know the operation can sort out too....
    Will defo ask my doctor about this the next time I am there....Am loath to google it because of all the scare stories.

Well trust me don't start down the Google route. I had my self diagnosed with all sorts of things and got really stressed out about adding to the symptoms but in the end it was something that could be sorted? All be it surgically but had I presented earlier it could have been something treatable with a tablet.

How are your finger nails do you have any brown ticks/streaks in them like?

davecli wrote: »
    Well trust me don't start down the Google route. I had my self diagnosed with all sorts of things and got really stressed out about adding to the symptoms but in the end it was something that could be sorted? All be it surgically but had I presented earlier it could have been something treatable with a tablet.

How are your finger nails do you have any brown ticks/streaks in them like?

Not brown but have one or two tiny white patches under each nail. Am 35 and my symptoms (sweating, red/purple hands, blushing) have been going on for as long as I can remember. Have been prescribed beta blockers in the past and had spoken to a doctor about the sympathectomy about 12 years ago but never followed it up :(
    Can I ask did you go public or private with it.

I was private with VHI. The reason I was asking about your nails was because my blood vessels in my fingers were rupturing (Brown streaks/ticks) and at serious risk of infection/gangrene. So by the time beta blockers or calcium tabs kicked in it might have been to late for my fingers and amputation would have followed so I had no option but to get ETS.

Defo go and revisit it with your doctor. I was the same as you with white fingers, always cold hands no matter what, sweaty palms/ arm pits. Beta blockers would have been the way to go for me had I gone to the doctor. Getting diagnosed was my first visit in 8 years but I've learned my lesson there.

Doesn't sound like you have it as serious as I do but a consultant would be able to go trough it with you and narrow down the causes for you.

Thanks very much for the advice Davecli. My main worry with my hands is that they will end up like you describe. I feel it is not something that will get better, in fact they just seem to be getting worse as the years go on. Others can't believe the colour of them sometimes but I am just so used to them. I could count on one hand the amount of people I have seen with similar hands! The other things (sweating & blushing) while they affect me on a personal level don't really pose a danger to my health.

I have never seen a consultant about these issues and I think I really should at this stage.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

In relation to sweaty pits - Anhydrol Forte.
    I used to have massive problems, now use Anhydrol maybe once a year!

In relation to tightness of the tips of your fingers and white patches, get it checked out. Most likey Reyauds, but could be early signs of Reynauds Scleroderma.

Well the best of luck with it Lindtee hopefully its just something that can be sorted with a pill.

regards,

Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 PGirl

I posted here recently and for some reason it was removed???

Anyways, I was just saying that I thought of getting Botox before but instead I started using Mondss and they changed my life!

• Advertisement
Advertisement