Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cohabiting effect on JSB

Options
  • 07-10-2011 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi everyone. My boyfriend and i are thinking of moving in together. We have a 6 month old daughter. I work Full time and he works 2 days a week and is on JSB the other days (not sure is it or JSA).

He was wondering what effect my income will have on his SW. I take home 2000 a month but have rent and all the usuals to pay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Hi everyone. My boyfriend and i are thinking of moving in together. We have a 6 month old daughter. I work Full time and he works 2 days a week and is on JSB the other days (not sure is it or JSA).

He was wondering what effect my income will have on his SW. I take home 2000 a month but have rent and all the usuals to pay.

i would say if he is on jsa he will be entitled to very little if he moves in due to the amount of money you make, they will look at your income as being fairly good which should support ye.

But if it's jsb he is on he will still be entitled to it as he would be claiming from his stamps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Because its JSB hell continue to get whatever hes getting but because of your wages he wont get any increase for you and/or your daughter. When his stamps run out it will be a different matter. How long has he been on JSB?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭strewthelvis

[
    mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Because its JSB hell continue to get whatever hes getting but because of your wages he wont get any increase for you and/or your daughter. When his stamps run out it will be a different matter. How long has he been on JSB?

Hi mrs b, he is on JSA (just read up on them) this is his second year unemployed. So what do you think he would get i read they dont take my outgoings into account at all they just go on the wages before tax is that right?

cant believe what im reading really, so if he moves in i have to give him money to live on? No wonder depression is so widespread. Tell me what im reading is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Its not wrong. JSA is a means-tested payment. Your income will be included in that assessment. Unlikely that he will get anything for non-working days. However, you may qualify for FIS. Check it out on www.welfare.ie. If you qualify, it should more than make up for loss of JSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Its not wrong. JSA is a means-tested payment. Your income will be included in that assessment. Unlikely that he will get anything for non-working days. However, you may qualify for FIS. Check it out on www.welfare.ie. If you qualify, it should more than make up for loss of JSA.

It is highly unlikely that they will qualify for FIS as partners earnings will also come into the equation and the limit for a couple with one child is €509 pw.

He probably will be deemed means in excess for JSA as both sets of earnings will be means tested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

We were in the same boat last year, co-habiting, one person bringing home around €2000 per month. Other half on JSA, one dependant baby, he was means tested to a payment of €35 per week, that included €14.49 for the baby!

As he is working 2 days a week, his payment could be less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

eastbono wrote: »
    It is highly unlikely that they will qualify for FIS as partners earnings will also come into the equation and the limit for a couple with one child is €509 pw.

He probably will be deemed means in excess for JSA as both sets of earnings will be means tested.

I'm saying they MAY qualify. The €509 is nett income after all deductions. There's just a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I'm saying they MAY qualify. The €509 is nett income after all deductions. There's just a chance.

Yes net income after all deductions... OP states that her take home pay is €2000 per month so on average €461 pw. Her OH would have to be bringing home after all deductions <€48 pw in order for them to qualify for FIS.

Advertisement