Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Req] The Best Charlie Haughey Quotes (behind closed doors)

Options
  • 16-05-2007 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

This thread is running simultaneously in the politics forum of boards.ie and the history forum of politics.ie (see other at http://www.politics.ie/viewtopic.php?p=637690#637690)

One of the things that I find most interesting about Haughey are some the brilliant quotes he came out with when he was behind closed doors.

Here’s what I’ve come across to date. If anyone has any others, feel free to share.
    (please reference where you got the quote from)

1.CJH went to President Erskine Childers funeral “to make sure the f***er was planted”

2.When an interview conducted by a young female journalist concluded, CJH said “I suppose a ride is out of the question!”. He then felt her up as she walked off.
    (Proposition was only a joke as there was a young male photographer present.)

3.While passing a crowd of female sailors on his boat “Celtic Mist”, he shouted out “Are ye’r knickers wet?”

4.CJH talking, in the privacy of this office, to his Press Secretary, Frank Dunlop

CJH: “Where the f*** were you yesterday?”

FD: “Yesterday – Sunday – I was at home in the bosom of my family”

CJH: “We’re making some progress – the f***er knows yesterday was Sunday”.

5.CJH supporter Don Lydon, after being grilled by CJH, was having trouble finding the door out of CJHs wood panelled office. After a few moments, CJH looks up

CJH: “What are you still doing here?”

DL: “I can’t find the door, Taoiseach”

CJH: “Then why don’t you jump out the f***ing window?”

6.CJH’s reaction on reading a Private Eye magazine article linking CJH with the “aging” Terry Keane, in Frank Dunlops presence.

“Jasus, Frank, she’ll go f***in’ banana’s when she reads this”

References

1 Yes Taoiseach, Frank Dunlop, 2005 p ?
    2 Haughey’s 40 Years of Controversy, T Ryle Dwyer, 2005 p225
    3 Haughey’s 40 Years of Controversy, T Ryle Dwyer, 2005 p225
    4 Haughey’s 40 Years of Controversy, T Ryle Dwyer, 2005 p89 (Also in Yes Taoiseach)
    5 People Politics and Power, Stephen Collins, p179
    6 Haughey’s 40 Years of Controversy, T Ryle Dwyer, 2005 p224 (Also in Yes Taoiseach)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement