Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are the twenties the best years of your life?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Pretty sure my 20s are bout to end after 14 whiskey sours!! Pretty sure ive destroyed my liver and im only 24! Oh god haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'm certainly hoping the ole 2020's will be a good decade of my life ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

I changed my name when I hit twenty, it's done wonders for the lothario in me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I wonder will they be? I doubt it. I've been banking on olds age being good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Every year should be the best year of your life - so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

My 20's were the best years of my life. I had it all at the one time. Job, money, house, sex, cars, holidays, booze & health.

I still experience all of those but generally only one or two at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

20's are great, but so far the 30's have been better. 20's revolved around a lot of drink, getting laid and being irresponsible... wouldn't go back and change that :D

30's are where you are more mature, you start to appreciate the finer things in life, more disposable income and travel and see the world in a very different way. Plus it's the time when you can start giving out about kids these days :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Your 20s are when you're at your best physically fittest and aesthetically but you tend to be broke and there's a much higher probability of you being an annoying self-absorbed cunt labouring under the delusion that your views and thoughts are somehow unique and special.

Whereas 15-20 years later, you tend to have a bit more money and are far more together and likeable but by then your looks and fitness are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

El Chucko wrote: »
    Twenties for me. 35 now and I feel like I'm on the slide!
    I wasted my 20s, a crap decade, but I've never been any better than now in my 30s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Once I turned 30 I just stopped giving a crap about a lot of silly things that stressed me out. I felt more 'grown up' and that things could just get out of my way or go to hell.

20s were a lot of fun at times, and you have to make them great though. I partied, overdid just about every single thing you can overdo and had fun. Then crashed and burned. So now I'm more sensible aka more boring, but more relaxed and I've learned a little about letting things go.

There's no best decade of your life, being 20 is great if you are healthy you may be in your prime, but if you are going through bad times you wont' remember that fondly! Find happiness in the things you can and the things you have control over, and try to shrug off the rest as best you can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

I think the worst part of growing up isn't looking back on your life fondly, but realising how ignorant you were and how willing to flaunt it you were. Nowadays, we have boards for that. ;) It will be on the internet forever.

Every ten years you look back and get mortified by how stuid you were!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

late twenties and early thirties imo... likely that you are more financially comfortable and in a good relationship and prior to been worn out by screaming children for the next 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Playboy wrote: »
    late twenties and early thirties imo... likely that you are more financially comfortable and in a good relationship and prior to been worn out by screaming children for the next 20 years.

Likely? Do you reckon? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Ah your 20's. can't beat em. Horn on ye like a didgery-doo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I think if you had a jar of sand and water and shook it around and let it settle. After it settles, there'd be 50% sand and 50% water. The sand represents unbearable pain and the water happiness.

If you think about it, the older you get the more you have to deal with ill heath and the ill health of others. I've never experienced it but it must be soul destroying. So I think it's a 50:50 split no matter how happy you are. You still have 50% of the most undesirable pain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

kat.mac wrote: »
    Self doubt, confusion, poor decisions and an excess of almost everything.

Yeah, class decade!

nailed on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Kirby92 wrote: »
    Yup, age is a state of mind. I know I 62 year old who rides motorbikes around Europe. Badass.

Its not a mid life crisis anymore so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Likely? Do you reckon? :confused:

Yes likely... in that you are not a student and have had the opportunity to work your up to a better position in a company, trade, whatever. People dont usually earn more in their early twenties than they do in their early thirties do they? Or have I missed your point somehow?

Yes likely... in that you are not a student and have had the opportunity to work your up to a better position in a company, trade, whatever. People dont usually earn more in their early twenties than they do in their early thirties do they? Or have I missed your point somehow?

I think the point being that the economy has tanked and any guarantee / liklihood has significantly diminished.

I'm on less now than I was in the 90s! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Didn't enjoy my 20s. Love my 30s!

Ah, but I was so much older then...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhyfn_neil-young-dylan-my-back-pages_music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

i think "Fun times" and "the best years of your life" are two different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Find happiness in the things you can and the things you have control over, and try to shrug off the rest as best you can!

I like how you phrased that. Thank you.

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of the idea of 'best years of your life'. Each time had their funny times and shortcomings.

In my teens, I was so funnily innocent and had less responsibilities than I do now in my 20s. However, I hated secondary school, had family problems and became incredibly self-conscious as a result. These feelings ended up crippling me up until my 20s. I withdrew more and more into myself.

Fast forward into my 20s, these insecurities about life/self-worth are slowly flying away. I got to go to College and there were great formative years for me. I'm generally a lot more happier in myself.

I think it's important to see that life is a working progress with its good and bad, best and worst times all the time. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    Or is every decade soul destroying ?

I reckon the 50's (according those i know currently in them).

You are just starting to see grandchildren, you are easing off the workload, you have a fairly decent standard of living,etc, etc.

Plus you're still well enough to enjoy it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

6 months till i'm 30 :(

Had kids when i was 17 and 25, didn't get to do **** all and probably never will till i retire.

Enjoy it now folks.

P.S - I'm happy :D just wish i got to do more than i did, but **** it life is what you make of it and i've still plenty of time left.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jimosterberg

20's were brilliant. Would actually love to do them again, well certainly 23-30. Having more fun in my early 30's though. Have partied harder in the last few years! Was lucky though that my career has been good since my early 20's so while not rich have had always had the disposable income to go out and enjoy myself and to travel. Having a great time in my early 30's but there is a realisation that the party's over soon if I want to have kids/buy a house etc. A lot of my friends are at that stage now and don't go out much anymore. Wouldn't mind going back to 25 but keeping everything else in my life like it is now, just put off having to get serious for a few more years.

You really think most people are comfortable financially (in this day and age in particular) and in a GOOD relationship by the time they hit late twenties? I think you're just as likely NOT to be, tbh if not more so. Perhaps you're taking your own peers as an example but I wouldn't presume they're the norm. Maybe I'm wrong though. I know more people with one or the other or neither than I do with both. The idea that most people have it all sorted by the time they hit 30 is a bit of a myth.

You really think most people are comfortable financially (in this day and age in particular) and in a GOOD relationship by the time they hit late twenties? I think you're just as likely NOT to be, tbh if not more so. Perhaps you're taking your own peers as an example but I wouldn't presume they're the norm. Maybe I'm wrong though. I know more people with one or the other or neither than I do with both. The idea that most people have it all sorted by the time they hit 30 is a bit of a myth.

He's not saying they have it all sorted, just that they are likely to be more financially comfortable and in a better relationship at that age. I'm inclined to agree. Earnings tend to go up with age and people also tend to make better life decisions with a bit of experience and wisdom under their belts. I would say this is true of around 90% of my peers. They may not be a typical group but they're all anyone really has to measure from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 somecreep

As long as I can keep it up I'm happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Maybe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

11-20 were brilliant for me. 20-23 has overall been pretty horrible with the odd highlight. Age is but a number though so I don't plan on settling down and being serious til 35-40ish.

Our generation will be working until we're 75+ anyway. What's the rush?

Earthhorse wrote: »

I can't believe you ignored The Byrds version.... :(

That's the kind of mad thing us people in our 30s do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I am 31, so I can't really tell yet if the twenties were the best time of my life. I had plenty of money, went out lots and had fun with lots of different people, but I can't be sure if that really means I had the best time of my life. It was nice going out three times a week and rarely getting a hangover, but not sure that would appeal to me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rocksteadykk

In my next life I want to live my life backwards. You start out dead and get that out of the way. Then you wake up in an old people's home feeling better every day. You get kicked out for being too healthy, go collect your pension, and then when you start work, you get a gold watch and a party on your first day. You work for 40 years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement. You party, drink alcohol, and are generally promiscuous, then you are ready for high school. You then go to primary school, you become a kid, you play. You have no responsibilities, you become a baby until you are born. And then you spend your last 9 months floating in luxurious spa like conditions with central heating and room service on tap, larger quarters every day and then Voila! You finish off as an orgasm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

In my next life I want to live my life backwards. You start out dead and get that out of the way. Then you wake up in an old people's home feeling better every day. You get kicked out for being too healthy, go collect your pension, and then when you start work, you get a gold watch and a party on your first day. You work for 40 years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement. You party, drink alcohol, and are generally promiscuous, then you are ready for high school. You then go to primary school, you become a kid, you play. You have no responsibilities, you become a baby until you are born. And then you spend your last 9 months floating in luxurious spa like conditions with central heating and room service on tap, larger quarters every day and then Voila! You finish off as an orgasm!

LOL - did you just make that up there now??

That's a great idea for a short story that eventually gets made into a film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I had nothing when i was a kid but when i look back i had a really good childhood as i got older and realised i had to be responsible it got worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

20-24 was shíte but it's all gotten better from there. I'll be 29 next month and tbh I'm in a pretty good place right now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    Or is every decade soul destroying ?

You're doing it wrong. Or not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

You're doing it wrong. Or not at all.

Please, educate me. I need to guidance.

• Playboy wrote: »

I don't think that's true anymore. I'm 28 and am earning significantly less than I was at 22. I have a zero-hours contract, so if there's no demand, I don't work and am just about surviving. Most of my friends are in the same boat. It's much worse than being a student, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Pug160

A lot of young guys are growing up disappointed. They think their early to mid 20s will be a time when they have steady employment with plenty of debauchery thrown into the mix but the truth can often be very different. It can be downright boring for the majority. Although life can be what you make of it - to a certain extent anyway.

Generations ago a 30 year old would have been considered to be quite mature but these days it's still pretty young.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    He's not saying they have it all sorted, just that they are likely to be more financially comfortable and in a better relationship at that age. I'm inclined to agree. Earnings tend to go up with age and people also tend to make better life decisions with a bit of experience and wisdom under their belts. I would say this is true of around 90% of my peers. They may not be a typical group but they're all anyone really has to measure from.

No I know he never said "all sorted".

Most of my own friends wouldn't have both. One or the other (or neither) but only a few have both. I suppose I'm going on my own experiences and you're both going on yours. It seems people get themselves established later now then they used to. A few of my good friends had very serous relationships in their 20s that ended early 30s. Again, I'm going on my peers, so when someone says it's likely, it doesn't fit my own reality.

I suppose we're all right then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

In general though, people are more likely to have their **** together in terms of relationship, career, income, knowing what they want, etc by their late 20s/early 30s. It's a time of more certainty and stability - generally speaking.

• Advertisement

In general though, people are more likely to have their **** together in terms of relationship, career, income, knowing what they want, etc by their late 20s/early 30s. It's a time of more certainty and stability - generally speaking.

Fair enough!

Right yous have convinced me! I concede that you're right generally. Carry on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Fair enough!

Right yous have convinced me! I concede that you're right generally. Carry on!

You... seem to be taking this innocent observation very personally.

You... seem to be taking this innocent observation very personally.

Not at all! I was serious :) You took the wrong tone from my post. Overall I'd say he's right.

That comment wasn't said with malice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Coffeeteasugar

Finding my twenties unsettled, no clear direction, a mirror of the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Coffeeteasugar

LOL - did you just make that up there now??

It's a Woody Allen quotation :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement