Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5 year old boy shoots his sister with his own rifle

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Sparks wrote: »
    You know that the kids can't buy guns on their own, right?
    That it has to be a parent who buys them?
    I mean, the gun laws in most of the US are less draconian than here, but they're not exactly anything-goes either, regardless of what the saturday morning cartoons Irish press say.

Having trained a few hundred kids to shoot safely, I think I can say with a little bit of experience that this is utter horse droppings. You can guarantee you'll always be at their shoulder when they're shooting, it's downright easy to do so.

That's a very nuanced and informed opinion, obviously based on deep experience and widespread gathering of relevant social and cultural information as well as deep research into the immediately relevant facts.

NRA doesn't pay off politicans? I'm not even going to bother to link to an article there is so many.
    Guns are not marketed to kids?
    The deep south does not have a prevailing tendency toward gun use and a bad history in terms of education and schooling for its populace. Having spent a year in Arizona and having taught alongside Teach for America teachers I have quite a bit of knowledge of the southern states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Guns are not marketed to kids?
    (a) If you think I'm defending marketing, sorry, I'm with Bill Hicks on marketing:

(b) The kids can't buy guns. Parents have to. If the kids could walk into a gun store and buy their own Hello Kitty AR-15, you'd have a point. They can't, however. You might make a firearm so it can be used by a kid; that's not the same thing. That's so that a parent who wants to teach a kid to shoot can get them equipment that works instead of having to make it themselves. It's why you get junior Olympic rifles - because you have to build rifles differently for juniors to use them (they have to be lighter and the stocks shorter and so on). But there's a long gap between building a product a parent can buy for their kid and that kid buying that product themselves, and firearms legislation everywhere tends to stand in that gap saying "Er, no. That'd be stupid. Go get mommy or daddy, these things require adult supervision".

Of course, if mommy or daddy is a bad parent (or just plain fecking stupid), the accidents can happen anyway, but if you think the law should be able to stop them no matter what, I'd be real careful about the fine details of how it should be able to, because that road leads to some pretty awful places if you're not careful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Link regarding gun corps funding NRA.

You're not getting the numbers, here. The article posts links like $20m a year in advertising, $3-7m a year from direct contributions. Membership dues alone broke $100m in the year of that IRS form linked in the article. They're certainly not going to turn the other money away, but when they're spending $30million in the federal elections every four years, they don't need the corporate cash either. It's a red herring. The financial strength of the NRA comes from its members.
    I have addressed why kids feel the need to shoot in a post above. If you enjoy the sport enjoy it without shoving it down their throat and getting them a gun just because you like it. Get them one when he/she turns 16 and train them when they are better cognitively developed.

If she doesn't like the sport, then the rifle will just sit in the safe. I'm certainly not going to shove it down her throat any more than I will skiing, riding, or piano.
    If the amount of guns in America is indicative of the dangers posed by humans and animals it can no longer call itself a civilised country.

I'm not sure how you can blame the bears, alligators, wolves and mountain lions for the nation being uncivilized, but yes, there is a serious violent crime problem. However, even if you call it uncivilized, it is also a reality in the US which its citizens need to deal with no matter what anyone else calls it.
    Guns would be necessary if you are living in inner city areas or Wyoming/Ohio wilderness otherwise no they are not imperative to survival.

So I should never go camping in the Rockies, or visit a relative in Miami?
    Its not the CMP that makes the money its the gun corps. There are plenty of hobbies a child could take up to give them something to do rather than giving them a potentially fatal piece of equipment in the hope they will be kept busy.

Note sure quite how much money the firearms companies would make on 8,000 CMP competition shooters.
    Sure there areother hobbies. But heck, riding a bike is potentially fatal. (Frankly, probably more fatal) As you say, it comes down to outside influences, but I don't see why shooting should be removed as one of the sources just because of the very rare possibility of a range accident.
    My points have all came back to this massive support the NRA receives and why it receives this support. Firstly if it is privacy most of that has disappeared in post 9/11 America. It receives the support because America has been inculcated to gun ideology through the paying off politicians, marketing guns to kids and a lack of education in the deep south.

More firearms are sold in California than in any other State. Hardly deep South. Montana's governor (a Democrat) owns "more guns than I need, but not as many as I want" (and the Secretary of State threatened secession in the event that 2A was not recognized as an individual right), definitely not in the South. New Hampshire's motto up in the Northeast is "Live free or die," an attempt to prohibit private citizens wearing firearms into the State legislature saw the politician who introduced the bill (and the only one who voted for it) turfed out of office by her own party (Democrats). The Constitution of Delaware states "A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use," they fought for the Union. The Democrats who voted against the Senate background check bill were from Alaska, North Dakota, Montana., Arkansas. Three of Four "Not Deep South." I can go on.

Are you entirely sure you're aware of the realities of firearms in the US, or do you believe them to be the purview of the 'gun toting redneck'?

[Edit. Actually, do you believe me to be a gun-toting redneck? Also, when you were in Arizona, did you partake of the opportunity to go shooting? How did you find it?]

You're not getting the numbers, here. The article posts links like $20m a year in advertising, $3-7m a year from direct contributions. Membership dues alone broke $100m in the year of that IRS form linked in the article. They're certainly not going to turn the other money away, but when they're spending $30million in the federal elections every four years, they don't need the corporate cash either. It's a red herring. The financial strength of the NRA comes from its members.

If she doesn't like the sport, then the rifle will just sit in the safe. I'm certainly not going to shove it down her throat any more than I will skiing, riding, or piano.

I'm not sure how you can blame the bears, alligators, wolves and mountain lions for the nation being uncivilized, but yes, there is a serious violent crime problem. However, even if you call it uncivilized, it is also a reality in the US which its citizens need to deal with no matter what anyone else calls it.

So I should never go camping in the Rockies, or visit a relative in Miami?

Note sure quite how much money the firearms companies would make on 8,000 CMP competition shooters.
    Sure there areother hobbies. But heck, riding a bike is potentially fatal. (Frankly, probably more fatal) As you say, it comes down to outside influences, but I don't see why shooting should be removed as one of the sources just because of the very rare possibility of a range accident.

More firearms are sold in California than in any other State. Hardly deep South. Montana's governor (a Democrat) owns "more guns than I need, but not as many as I want" (and the Secretary of State threatened secession in the event that 2A was not recognized as an individual right), definitely not in the South. New Hampshire's motto up in the Northeast is "Live free or die," an attempt to prohibit private citizens wearing firearms into the State legislature saw the politician who introduced the bill (and the only one who voted for it) turfed out of office by her own party (Democrats). The Constitution of Delaware states "A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use," they fought for the Union. The Democrats who voted against the Senate background check bill were from Alaska, North Dakota, Montana., Arkansas. Three of Four "Not Deep South." I can go on.

Are you entirely sure you're aware of the realities of firearms in the US, or do you believe them to be the purview of the 'gun toting redneck'?

[Edit. Actually, do you believe me to be a gun-toting redneck? Also, when you were in Arizona, did you partake of the opportunity to go shooting? How did you find it?]

Of course I don't think it is just the purview of gun totting red necks if that was the case there wouldn't be half as much issues.

I'm also aware Democrats like a gun or two. I have said from the beginning it is ideological therefore it is not going to be the purview of one political or social group but society as a whole.

America has more guns in it than any other country in the world. Most Mexican cartels get their guns from America. If it is simply that there are deadly animals and some dangerous cities in the States there is still no excuse for this level of guns. The only reason for such numbers is that there are people who are dependent on guns and not for the reasons you outline. They are simply dependent from the prevailing ideology in the States nothing more.
    I'm not blaming the flora and fauna for Americans incivility I'm blaming the country's penchant for guns.

The idea that we all need guns just to get along and have some "freedom" is hilarious. The only real type of freedom is freedom from ideology and an ability to think for yourself. If a gun is a symbol of freedom for someone they are so warped there is little hope for them every experiencing real freedom.

I'm well aware that other States legislators are in favour of guns. However I would be surprised if the citizens of said states would have voted no to background checks.

I did not go shooting and never had the need despite living in heavily wooded areas in Northern Az. Now I'm not debating the pros and cons of shooting as a sport what my argument has been is that guns should not be handed to those under 13 because it creates a culture of dependence which results over saturation of guns in the country, numerous tragedies, illegal exportation of guns to fuel civil wars in other countries and a misguided belief to what freedom entails.

Clearly you are an articulate, well informed individual and indeed you have made some good points about American legislators preference for lax laws however if you cannot see the hugely negative effects these items have both inside the country and outside the country as a result of this culture of dependence for dependence sake then there is little I can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

*yawn*

This thread has degraded into back and forth arguing now.

uaJklkZ.jpg

*unfollows*

StickyIcky wrote: »
    *yawn*

This thread has degraded into back and forth arguing now.

uaJklkZ.jpg

*unfollows*

Yes I too am amazed that we have not came to some type of mutual agreement which then either brings the child back to life or solves America's gun control issues in its entirety. Usually threads of this nature turn out like this.

I'm also aware Democrats like a gun or two. I have said from the beginning it is ideological therefore it is not going to be the purview of one political or social group but society as a whole.

Fair enough. I was just piqued by the Deep South comment, as if there was a particular issue with the denizens of that region of the US when it comes to a liking of firearms.
    America has more guns in it than any other country in the world.

This is true. It is also a reality that everyone in the US needs to deal with. It is a rare individual in the US who goes through life without encountering a firearm at some point, so the more people who know about them the better, as far as I can tell.

Most Mexican cartels get their guns from America.

This is not true. The primary sources are from South of Mexico, with a significant number of firearms stolen from the Mexican military. The oft-quoted '90% of guns traced came from the US' is a skewed figure of firearms submitted to the ATF for tracing. Mexican police obviously don't bother asking the ATF where the Bulgarms AK-47 they captured came from. It is certainly true that a significant percentage comes from the US, mainly handguns, but the heavy firepower, particularly automatic weapons which are highly regulated in the US, does not come across the US/Mexico border. The cartels can get a semi-auto AR-15 from the US, or they can get a full-auto M-16 from Guatemala. Which way do you think they go?
    If it is simply that there are deadly animals and some dangerous cities in the States there is still no excuse for this level of guns. The only reason for such numbers is that there are people who are dependent on guns and not for the reasons you outline. They are simply dependent from the prevailing ideology in the States nothing more.

The prevailing ideology in the States is that of individual responsibility: That one cannot and should not rely on someone else to take care of you, and that you should have control of your future, not criminals or animals. Given the various conditions prevalent in the US, from gangland crime to police response times, this ideology has some merit.
    I'm not blaming the flora and fauna for Americans incivility I'm blaming the country's penchant for guns.

Ah, rubbish. Plenty of countries have guns. US have more guns per population, but much of this is because a lot of the gun owners own more firearms per person than, say, their Finnish counterparts. I own six or seven, but am no more dangerous than someone with one or two. The country seems to have a penchant for criminal violence using guns, but those who are not part of that subculture are anything but uncivil. Indeed, legal firearms owners are tend to be more law-abiding, and those who carry their firearms on a daily basis are significantly more law-abiding than the population as a whole.
    The idea that we all need guns just to get along and have some "freedom" is hilarious. The only real type of freedom is freedom from ideology and an ability to think for yourself.

Quoting MacArthur: "Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword has obviously never encountered automatic weapons." One must not only be able to think for yourself, but one must also be able to deal with people (or animals) who are disinclined to share your values, who do not respect personal boundaries, and who wish to impose, by force if they wish, their values upon you. Such as "You have worldly goods, which should be possessed by me". "You are tasty and made of meat, and I'm hungry", Or worse.
    If a gun is a symbol of freedom for someone they are so warped there is little hope for them every experiencing real freedom.

There is no more ultimate guarantor of freedom than the willingness of people to stand up and protect it, with the tools to do so. Using firearms if required. The Dutch Chief of Staff gave a reasonable speech on the matter, specifically stating why, instead of the pen, the brush, or the microscope, he chose to create a better world (his words) by use of the gun.

I'm well aware that other States legislators are in favour of guns. However I would be surprised if the citizens of said states would have voted no to background checks.

Which background checks? The ones which just conduct background checks, or the ones which conduct background checks, increase personal expenditure and keep records?
    however if you cannot see the hugely negative effects these items have both inside the country and outside the country as a result of this culture of dependence for dependence sake then there is little I can do.

I am more than aware of the negative effects of firearms in the US, the suicide rates, accidental deaths, criminal violence rates and so on. However, I believe that the positive uses of firearms in the US outweigh them, especially given the end effects of legislation to reduce them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Are they ****ing stupid over there or what? Every week there seems to be a new story like this, if not a shooting in a school.

Imbeciles.

This is relevant.

http://i.imgur.com/drOXEEz.jpg

But then labelling a nation of 320 million people as 'Imbeciles' is acceptable on AH for some reason.

MadsL wrote: »
    This is relevant.

http://i.imgur.com/drOXEEz.jpg

But then labelling a nation of 320 million people as 'Imbeciles' is acceptable on AH for some reason.

Ironically enough it is right wingers who have been responsible for the majority of terrorist attacks since 1995 in the states.
    http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/unaddressed-threats.jpg

Manic we will have to agree to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

NRA answer - if only the 2 year old had a gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

stoneill wrote: »

Cos that hasn´t been said 5 times..

stoneill wrote: »

NRA's actual answer, which they've been saying since 1988 with a little bit of success is:
    If you see a gun:
    STOP!
    Don't Touch.
    Leave the Area.
    Tell an Adult.

But hey, that's just one of them pesky fact things, don't let it derail your train of thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

NRA's actual answer, which they've been saying since 1988 with a little bit of success is:

But hey, that's just one of them pesky fact things, don't let it derail your train of thought.

Don't sell guns to kids! Kinda puts a big hole through the centre of the message.
    BULLSEYE!

(an internet-bully takes a bad, bad beating.)

LiamMc wrote: »
    Don't sell guns to kids! Kinda puts a big hole through the centre of the message.
    BULLSEYE!
    (an internet-bully takes a bad, bad beating.)

So, the NRA safety program tells kids not to go near guns...
    ...and you think that not selling guns to kids contradicts that message.

Could you explain how, for those of us who don't see the contradiction?

A Connecticut gun lobbying group on Wednesday personally attacked the father of a Sandy Hook school massacre victim, accusing him of "profitting off of the tragedy" and saying a decade-old drug arrest makes him a "poster boy" for background check ineffectiveness. Link

Once again American gun lobbyists showing their true colours. Absolutely vile. Dragging the man's name through mud and lying about him after his son has been murdered. Great way to argue a point.

• Advertisement

Great way to argue a point.
    Speaking of, what has a fairly nasty statement made in reference to a completely different incident and relating to a completely different aspect of the law have to do with this accident? Or are we now saying that the 5-year-old had mental health issues and stole the rifle and deliberately shot and killed his sister?

Speaking of, what has a fairly nasty statement made in reference to a completely different incident and relating to a completely different aspect of the law have to do with this accident? Or are we now saying that the 5-year-old had mental health issues and stole the rifle and deliberately shot and killed his sister?

Highlighting an example of what lobbyists have resorted to in the face of the various atrocities which are taking place as it has been brought up in this thread more than once. I could start a new thread and highlight it but I don't see the point.

In other words, you're evaluating the argument based on some of the worst examples of behaviour of a minority of the people arguing it that you could find. As opposed to, say, evaluating the argument based on the logic and evidence contained within the argument. You'd almost wish there was a term for that...

In other words, you're evaluating the argument based on some of the worst examples of behaviour of a minority of the people arguing it that you could find. As opposed to, say, evaluating the argument based on the logic and evidence contained within the argument. You'd almost wish there was a term for that...

This was the most recent attack. Hold on do I have to put together all the different articles in which gun lobby groups attacked Sandy Hook and Newtown victims' families as there has been quite a few? See I could have done that but you would have said I'm dragging up the past. You like guns we get it. If you are not in favour of increased backgrounds checks that is a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

This was the most recent attack. Hold on do I have to put together all the different articles in which gun lobby groups attacked Sandy Hook and Newtown victims' families as there has been quite a few? See I could have done that but you would have said I'm dragging up the past. You like guns we get it. If you are not in favour of increased backgrounds checks that is a different story.

I can't speak for Sparks but I seriously doubt that Sparks has a problem with background checks.

Us shooting enthusiasts here in Ireland don't have a problem with background checks. I certainly don't. In fact, I am all for gun control. That's making sure that the guns end up in the hands of people who are safe and responsible with them. So yes, background checks are a must in my opinion.

Just remember though, there's no law that can account for dumb ass parents. Leaving a gun where a child can get access to it is plain stupid and irresponsible. And downright criminal too I reckon. It is here in Ireland anyway.

The US is a very different kettle of fish though. They have different beliefs when it comes to civil liberties and gun ownership.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I can't speak for Sparks but I seriously doubt that Sparks has a problem with background checks.

Us shooting enthusiasts here in Ireland don't have a problem with background checks. I certainly don't. In fact, I am all for gun control. That's making sure that the guns end up in the hands of people who are safe and responsible with them. So yes, background checks are a must in my opinion.

Just remember though, there's no law that can account for dumb ass parents. Leaving a gun where a child can get access to it is plain stupid and irresponsible. And downright criminal too I reckon. It is here in Ireland anyway.

The US is a very different kettle of fish though. They have different beliefs when it comes to civil liberties and gun ownership.

Manic Moron didn't agree with the previously legislation that was shot down by gun nuts in the Senate. So I am unsure of Sparks' position. My issue is with guns being marketed to kids. This in itself contributes to these sorts of problems. Even Coca Cola has the decency not to market directly to under 12s.

Manic Moron didn't agree with the previously legislation that was shot down by gun nuts in the Senate.
    Which wasn't the same thing as disagreeing with background checks. Disagreeing over 2% of a policy is not the same as disagreeing over 100% of a policy and only a fanatic would think so.
    So I am unsure of Sparks' position.
    It's that the 5-year-old didn't have a background check, didn't have mental health issues and didn't shoot up a school, so bringing in to this thread what you just brought in is not actually an argument, it's just muckraking.
    My issue is with guns being marketed to kids.
    And you'll have an issue the day a kid can buy a gun. Until then, your actual problem is bad parents.
    Even Coca Cola has the decency not to market directly to under 12s.
    Yeah, right. Or, to look at it with both eyes, they only announced that policy two days ago after having been in business since the days when putting actual cocaine in the drink was legal. The policy only applies to kids who aren't old enough to buy much coke on their own, and it doesn't say they're going to stop, just that they won't do it as much as they have been doing. And to top it off, it's a part of a PR play for the customer demographic that worries about health, because they've been noticing that diet drinks now make up 41 percent of coke's sales in the US and high-calorie drinks are on a hit list over there in the eyes of those worried about the US obesity epidemic.

It's not exactly a policy born of human decency.

Which wasn't the same thing as disagreeing with background checks. Disagreeing over 2% of a policy is not the same as disagreeing over 100% of a policy and only a fanatic would think so.It's that the 5-year-old didn't have a background check, didn't have mental health issues and didn't shoot up a school, so bringing in to this thread what you just brought in is not actually an argument, it's just muckraking.

And you'll have an issue the day a kid can buy a gun. Until then, your actual problem is bad parents.

Yeah, right. Or, to look at it with both eyes, they only announced that policy two days ago after having been in business since the days when putting actual cocaine in the drink was legal. The policy only applies to kids who aren't old enough to buy much coke on their own, and it doesn't say they're going to stop, just that they won't do it as much as they have been doing. And to top it off, it's a part of a PR play for the customer demographic that worries about health, because they've been noticing that diet drinks now make up 41 percent of coke's sales in the US and high-calorie drinks are on a hit list over there in the eyes of those worried about the US obesity epidemic.

It's not exactly a policy born of human decency.

Would you have been in favour of voting in said policy?

Coca have had the policy running for longer but not as strict as they have announced. Obviously it is not entirely a good will gesture as very little is in a capitalist market place. What exactly is your argument? It is acceptable to market towards kids because they cannot directly buy the gun? I thought you disagreed with marketing in general?

Manic Moron didn't agree with the previously legislation that was shot down by gun nuts in the Senate. So I am unsure of Sparks' position. My issue is with guns being marketed to kids. This in itself contributes to these sorts of problems. Even Coca Cola has the decency not to market directly to under 12s.

Moran, not moron. Subtle, but important difference :)

I never said I disagreed with background checks. I could, however, see avoidable issues with the method as proposed in that bill.

NTM

Moran, not moron. Subtle, but important difference :)

I never said I disagreed with background checks. I could, however, see avoidable issues with the method as proposed in that bill.

NTM

Apologies I didnt meant that.

Seems like the politicians are changing their minds when they realised that those that vote them in wanted it passed.

Seems like the politicians are changing their minds when they realised that those that vote them in wanted it passed.

Their position seems similar to mine. They would vote for a background check if it were a different format to the one attempted.

I really don't think any politician is has ever come out and said "I do not support any background checks at all"

NTM

Their position seems similar to mine. They would vote for a background check if it were a different format to the one attempted.

I really don't think any politician is has ever come out and said "I do not support any background checks at all"

NTM

So as long as it means you or gun stores don't have to pay any money you would support them? If only life was as easy as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Politicians are fickle creatures, no matter where you go. They don't serve your interests, they serve their own. The first job of an elected politician is to make popular decisions and make sure that he/she gets re-elected.

So as long as it means you or gun stores don't have to pay any money you would support them? If only life was as easy as that.

Any reason why it shouldn't be? We don't pay a NICS fee as it is right now when we purchase from a dealer. Why should private sellers be burdened with one?

It's the record-keeping and inconvenience, however, which I believe have caused more issue than the probability of an FFL transfer cost.

Which is more important to you - background checks or saving money?

• Advertisement

Which is more important to you - background checks or saving money?

Saving lives tbh and I thought most people who like gun sports would also be in favour of tight gun control as it makes very little difference if they only have them for sport? It seems however people who like gun sports would rather save a buck instead of a life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Saving lives tbh and I thought most people who like gun sports would also be in favour of tight gun control as it makes very little difference if they only have them for sport? It seems however people who like gun sports would rather save a buck instead of a life.

I don't blame Americans for being suspicious of gun control. As someone who owns firearms here...a nation which considers a rifle that looks like it is dangerous is restricted (exactly how looks matter in this case only God knows) I totally understand their fears.

Right now they can have nearly any firearm..they must fear that if they start bowing to gun control they could wake up in 10-15 years and find they can't buy a rifle because it's black...which can actually be a problem in Ireland.

Saving lives tbh
    Well then why have the arguments about the details? You want background checks, stop arguing about the 2% of the details and sit down and talk with the other side of the debate like adults.

Instead, the approach being taken in the US seems to be to grandstand and pound the table over what boils down to fine detail. The only ones who win there are, well, Fox. But it's easier for most people than the unsexy-but-effective method of sitting down and working out solutions that neither side loves but both sides can live with.
    and I thought most people who like gun sports would also be in favour of tight gun control as it makes very little difference if they only have them for sport?
    Reasonable measures we'd be in favor of, not because we like gun sports but because we're members of the public who live in the same world as everyone else and who worry about gun crime as much - if not more - than everyone else (more, because we know more about firearms than people who've never used them).

However, from personal experience I can tell you that most of what people think of as "tight" or "effective" gun control measures just aren't; and what really does work tends to be things you can't legislate for (seriously, how do you legislate for a strong club ethos, the public perception of firearms as being just another piece of machinery instead of the mythos Hollywood's busily built up around them, or a tradition of teaching firearms safety?).

And that's without getting into the point that even the most reasonable idea for a law gets horribly mangled by the process of becoming a law. Seriously - in Ireland they started out trying to ban handguns because Jim Deasy was making fun of Dermot Ahern (and yes, that was the only real reason), and the end result is that the man sweeping the flood in a paintball company office - let alone anyone actually playing paintball - is technically breaking the law with a potential penalty of several years in jail and several thousand euros of fines. When you have that serious a problem with passing a law coherently, the Fox Network method of discussing that proposed law really doesn't help...
    It seems however people who like gun sports would rather save a buck instead of a life.
    ...he said about the group who spend money on building ranges, gunsafes, trigger locks, licence fees, and so on.

...he said about the group who spend money on building ranges, gunsafes, trigger locks, licence fees, and so on.

The same thing can be said for other sports i.e. it is the nature of the sport.

I was talking about the extra costs entailed in the bill that was rejected.
    Whilst your argument it eloquently put (although condescending in tone) you seem to have missed the points I have made as I have not been talking to the two per cent. I have said guns should not be marketed to kids. Guns should not be given to kids under 15/16 (try giving them a book instead rather than a lethal weapon). All guns should have strict background checks regardless of cost however if you are using it for sport there should be a license which allows leeway on cost. If you are using it for defence well then it should be expensive. This should limit the amount of guns and slowly suffocate the culture of dependency.

The same thing can be said for other sports i.e. it is the nature of the sport.
    Need to give two character references to buy a hurley, do you?
    Because I need to give that, and give up my right to medical privacy, and a host of other things that the rest of the public regard as civil rights; all to take part in an Olympic sport with the best safety record of any sport (including chess* :p ) in the country -- but if I want to take part in a sport where the last kid to die in that sport died last week, no worries, I can buy the kit anywhere with the same controls as a box of cornflakes. No licence fee. Indirect state sponsoring of the sport - and yes, hiring gardai and teachers whose holidays are suspiciously lined up with major intercounty games and whose duties never interfere with training is a form of support, as is chasing after the top names to become TDs. But that's another thread and I'm getting sidetracked.

My point is that it is not merely "just the nature of the sport".
    I have said guns should not be marketed to kids.
    And as I have said, that would only be an issue if (a) kids could buy guns (and no, they can't); or if (b) the kids had monumentally awful parents (and frankly, if your parents are monumentally awful parents, marketing guns to you isn't the problem we should be trying to solve).
    Guns should not be given to kids under 15/16 (try giving them a book instead rather than a lethal weapon).
    Sorry, but that's just plain wrong. There is nothing wrong with kids getting involved in target shooting - the safety record is better than for our national sports (again; no deaths in target shooting since records began in 1850; last death of a child in GAA was last week but you don't see us banning kids from the GAA do you?).

Kids learn too much that's good from target shooting to just ban it because people who've never done it think it's bad based on knowledge gleamed from something other than actual data.
    All guns should have strict background checks regardless of cost
    (a) Nobody's arguing against background checks, not even the Axis of Evil NRA; they're arguing over the fine details, like whether or not a son should need a background check before inheriting his grandfather's rifle; or they're arguing over deficiences in the current system and whether those should be fixed before expanding it; or about how those checks can be done without eliminating other rights. That's arguing over 2% of the idea, not 100% of the idea.
    (b) If cost's not a problem, then just pay for it already.
    however if you are using it for sport there should be a license which allows leeway on cost. If you are using it for defence well then it should be expensive. This should limit the amount of guns and slowly suffocate the culture of dependency.
    In other words, only rich people should be allowed to defend themselves with effective tools even though crime impacts on poor people more directly.

I'm pretty sure that that's just an argument to legalise Batman...

*tell that to the IOC, they recognise it as one

Blay wrote: »
    they can't buy a rifle because it's black...

"is it cus I is black?" ran through my head.
    if you are using it for sport there should be a license which allows leeway on cost. If you are using it for defence well then it should be expensive. This should limit the amount of guns and slowly suffocate the culture of dependency.

Wut? Tell me how you limit a right protected under the constitution based on your ability to pay???

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness?

Ring a bell with you?

Need to give two character references to buy a hurley, do you?
    Because I need to give that, and give up my right to medical privacy, and a host of other things that the rest of the public regard as civil rights; all to take part in an Olympic sport with the best safety record of any sport (including chess* :p ) in the country -- but if I want to take part in a sport where the last kid to die in that sport died last week, no worries, I can buy the kit anywhere with the same controls as a box of cornflakes. No licence fee. Indirect state sponsoring of the sport - and yes, hiring gardai and teachers whose holidays are suspiciously lined up with major intercounty games and whose duties never interfere with training is a form of support, as is chasing after the top names to become TDs. But that's another thread and I'm getting sidetracked.

My point is that it is not merely "just the nature of the sport".

And as I have said, that would only be an issue if (a) kids could buy guns (and no, they can't); or if (b) the kids had monumentally awful parents (and frankly, if your parents are monumentally awful parents, marketing guns to you isn't the problem we should be trying to solve).

Sorry, but that's just plain wrong. There is nothing wrong with kids getting involved in target shooting - the safety record is better than for our national sports (again; no deaths in target shooting since records began in 1850; last death of a child in GAA was last week but you don't see us banning kids from the GAA do you?).

Kids learn too much that's good from target shooting to just ban it because people who've never done it think it's bad based on knowledge gleamed from something other than actual data.

(a) Nobody's arguing against background checks, not even the Axis of Evil NRA; they're arguing over the fine details, like whether or not a son should need a background check before inheriting his grandfather's rifle; or they're arguing over deficiences in the current system and whether those should be fixed before expanding it; or about how those checks can be done without eliminating other rights. That's arguing over 2% of the idea, not 100% of the idea.
    (b) If cost's not a problem, then just pay for it already.

In other words, only rich people should be allowed to defend themselves with effective tools even though crime impacts on poor people more directly.

I'm pretty sure that that's just an argument to legalise Batman...

*tell that to the IOC, they recognise it as one

Yes you should have to give up them details when you are holding a weapon whose main function is to shoot bullets. Emily Wilson was warming up before training to bring her into the conversation is completely irrelevant.

Hold on now by the nature of the sport comment I meant you need gun ranges for gun sports, you need gunsafes. For football you need boots, you need a ball, you need a field. Both sports need these.

Also the constitutional right applied to militias not individual citizens so this whole rights waffle is nothing more than a misunderstanding of the constitution. However in recent times interpretation of the text has been taken to a whole new level culminating in the Heller case which allowed people to hold guns in their house, handguns no other.

If you examine the intricacies of the NRA's activities from 1999 when LaPierre seemed to say he favoured background checks you will see a history of characterised by lobbying against any sort of bill.

In very few places in America are guns an absolute imperative for survival. I've had no need for one in my time. I am not saying price them out of reach but anybody who buys one should have to shoulder they extra costs involved.

I am not talking about just the time spent at the shooting range. I'm talking about the mentality of it. The entitlement aspect which culminated in the Heller case.

"is it cus I is black?" ran through my head.

Wut? Tell me how you limit a right protected under the constitution based on your ability to pay???

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness?

Ring a bell with you?

Not limiting just raising the price so improved background checks can happen. You just might want to check up on the history of the second amendment. It has long been liberated from its original meaning so why is my opinion invalid.

Also the constitutional right applied to militias not individual citizens so this whole rights waffle is nothing more than a misunderstanding of the constitution.

Under US law all its citizens over 18 constitute a national militia.

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    Under US law all its citizens over 18 constitute a national militia.

It also applied to when the British were in town.

Yes you should have to give up them details when you are holding a weapon whose main function is to shoot bullets.
    Bull. We got along in this country for over eighty years without that requirement and we never had a problem with legally held firearms (illegally held firearms abused by people who never gave up their names let alone character references, on the other hand, we not only had major problems with, but none of the changes in the Firearms Acts brought in over the years had any impact on them or their abuse...)
    Emily Wilson was warming up before training to bring her into the conversation is completely irrelevant.
    Warming up, meaning she was taking part in the sport at the time. And she's hardly the first in the history of the sport to drop dead at an age where that should be unheard of. Not to mention the accidents, the drug abuse, and everything else the GAA coaches have been complaining about.

If you want to do this "you shouldn't do X because X is unsafe" argument, do it without the "except the sports I didn't think were dangerous" appendix, would you?
    Hold on now by the nature of the sport comment I meant you need gun ranges for gun sports, you need gunsafes.
    Ranges, yes. Ranges built to a UK MoD standard that (a) costs €20k to get a copy of and (b) catered to 20mm anti-tank weapons, not so much. And that was what the ranges were being measured to for a few years between 2004 and 2009; and even today, the standards require enormous expense despite eighty-odd years of accident-free operation from existing ranges.

It's a matter of the detail, not the principle - tell me I need a backstop and everyone agrees, but tell me it has to be 100' tall and that's where we're going to get into a debate over how high a backstop should be.

Likewise with background checks. Tell me I need one to buy a rifle, and I'll agree with the general principle (though in Ireland we've gone too far there); but tell me my son needs a background check before I give him my old rifle so he can learn to shoot, and that that data is going into a publicly-accessible register (right after we've just seen a new york paper publish that data for the braying mob - and don't tell me that there's any difference between doing that, printing the names and addresses of every muslim in new york on 12/9/01, or shouting fire in a crowded theater), and now we're going to have a difference of opinion.
    Also the constitutional right applied to militias not individual citizens
    SCOTUS has already weighed in on this, so arguing that your interpretation of the constitution of the united states is more valid than that of their supreme court justices is frankly a waste of time and I'm not even going to bother - go use the search box on here if you want to play that argument through again.

If you examine the intricacies of the NRA's activities from 1999 when LaPierre seemed to say he favoured background checks you will see a history of characterised by lobbying against any sort of bill.
    And if by "seemed to say" you mean "took out ads across the nation reprinting his testimony to the senate where he explicity stated he supported it", you'd be right.

And if by "lobbying against any sort of bill" you mean "lobbying against what they disagree with" you'd also be right - and describing what we all consider to be a fundamentally necessary freedom in hellenic civilisation. It's why it's protected by the first amendment of the US bill of rights.
    In very few places in America are guns an absolute imperative for survival.
    And in no place in Ireland are cars, alcohol, knives or electricity an absolute necessity for survival. (Well, maybe hospitals, but I'm hard pressed to think of any other). And yet, we don't ban private ownership of those, even though they all kill people every single year through accident or intentional abuse.

This "do you really need it" argument is abused too often. Do I need my olympic air pistol to survive? No. I don't need my one-year-old son in order to survive either, but if you believe that means I have no argument for keeping him, then you're woefully misunderstanding the nature of reality.

Try this question for a moment - do you need me not to have my air pistol? Does it impinge on your life in any way whatsoever (apart of course, from the benefit of around six million euro in licence fees annually that go to pay off the national debt and save a few euros from your tax bill)?
    I've had no need for one in my time. I am not saying price them out of reach but anybody who buys one should have to shoulder they extra costs involved.
    How much? We already shoulder the cost of purchase. How much more of a punitive cost (because that's what this is) are you proposing and how are you proposing that we enforce it on (say) the IRA? Or the drug gangs? Or is it just law-abiding people you're planning on enforcing a punitive measure on?
    I am not talking about just the time spent at the shooting range. I'm talking about the mentality of it. The entitlement aspect which culminated in the Heller case.
    That "entitlement aspect" arises from the hard cold fact that their entire legal system recognises their actual entitlement in that area. It's not some affected air they have, it's an actual real thing -- they actually are entitled to it. You might not agree with it, but it remains an actual entitlement nonetheless, every bit as real - and equal in legal importance - as habeas corpus, free speech, privacy, equality, freedom of assembly, due process and so on. The documents and case law that recognised those rights (note that it's recognised and not created - the right can't be taken away by shredding the document), also recognise this one.

The only "entitlement" I can see here is from you, frankly, because you're happily decrying something you don't understand and calling for its abolition and are implicitly saying some rather nasty things about people who are involved in it. Just a few posts ago you talked about my "condescending tone" - I've spent my entire adult life shooting, training people to shoot, organising shooting sports and helping draft firearms legislation. It's not condescention you're hearing, it's experience; but that doesn't seem to be valid in your eyes when compared against your uninformed "common sense" - despite all the research ever done into "common sense" showing that it's a terrible means of making decisions compared to evidence-based reason and is almost always wrong.

Not limiting just raising the price so improved background checks can happen. You just might want to check up on the history of the second amendment. It has long been liberated from its original meaning so why is my opinion invalid.

Because you don't have a time machine. Do tell how your conversations with the founding fathers went if I happen to be wrong and you do have a Tardis.

It also applied to when the British were in town.

Is everything you post going to be misinformed?
    Currently, 23 states and territories have modern militias. As of 2005, these militias had a force strength of approximately 14,000 individuals nationwide.[1] Most commonly known as State Defense Forces (SDFs) or state militias, these forces are distinct from the Reserves and the National Guard in that they serve no federal function. In times of both war and peace, SDFs remain solely under the control of their governors, allowing the governors to deploy them easily and readily in the event of a natural or man-made disaster. Source

Here's my local militia;

http://www.nmsg-mil.org/

There are also many other civilian militias operating and training in NM.

Also the constitutional right applied to militias not individual citizens so this whole rights waffle is nothing more than a misunderstanding of the constitution. However in recent times interpretation of the text has been taken to a whole new level culminating in the Heller case which allowed people to hold guns in their house, handguns no other.

Even if we were to assume that the 2nd Amendment doesn't exist, and never existed (which is of course completely fanciful, because it does and the highest court of the land has ruled upon it), there is the slight issue that the vast majority of States (forty-something) have their own provisions in their Constitutions, as valid within their States as the US Constitution is to the country. There are not very many ways of misunderstanding or interpreting "A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use." such as the Delaware Constitution states, Wisconsin's Constitution's "The people have the right to keep and bear arms for security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose, " or "All persons have the right to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves, their families, their property and the state" as exists in 'Live free or die' New Hampshire's Constitution

Militias don't enter into it.

You can read all of them here. http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/beararms/statecon.htm

It should also be noted that more than half of Congress, and the majority of the States filed amicus brief with the court in Heller to support an 'individual rights' ruling. It is not an 'out there' concept.
    In very few places in America are guns an absolute imperative for survival. I've had no need for one in my time. I am not saying price them out of reach but anybody who buys one should have to shoulder they extra costs involved.

A firearm is never imperative for survival. Until you need it. Then it becomes quite important. Even if you're the first person in three years to be the victim of a home invasion in your town...

Bull. We got along in this country for over eighty years without that requirement and we never had a problem with legally held firearms (illegally held firearms abused by people who never gave up their names let alone character references, on the other hand, we not only had major problems with, but none of the changes in the Firearms Acts brought in over the years had any impact on them or their abuse...)

Warming up, meaning she was taking part in the sport at the time. And she's hardly the first in the history of the sport to drop dead at an age where that should be unheard of. Not to mention the accidents, the drug abuse, and everything else the GAA coaches have been complaining about.

If you want to do this "you shouldn't do X because X is unsafe" argument, do it without the "except the sports I didn't think were dangerous" appendix, would you?

Ranges, yes. Ranges built to a UK MoD standard that (a) costs €20k to get a copy of and (b) catered to 20mm anti-tank weapons, not so much. And that was what the ranges were being measured to for a few years between 2004 and 2009; and even today, the standards require enormous expense despite eighty-odd years of accident-free operation from existing ranges.

It's a matter of the detail, not the principle - tell me I need a backstop and everyone agrees, but tell me it has to be 100' tall and that's where we're going to get into a debate over how high a backstop should be.

Likewise with background checks. Tell me I need one to buy a rifle, and I'll agree with the general principle (though in Ireland we've gone too far there); but tell me my son needs a background check before I give him my old rifle so he can learn to shoot, and that that data is going into a publicly-accessible register (right after we've just seen a new york paper publish that data for the braying mob - and don't tell me that there's any difference between doing that, printing the names and addresses of every muslim in new york on 12/9/01, or shouting fire in a crowded theater), and now we're going to have a difference of opinion.

SCOTUS has already weighed in on this, so arguing that your interpretation of the constitution of the united states is more valid than that of their supreme court justices is frankly a waste of time and I'm not even going to bother - go use the search box on here if you want to play that argument through again.

And if by "seemed to say" you mean "took out ads across the nation reprinting his testimony to the senate where he explicity stated he supported it", you'd be right.

And if by "lobbying against any sort of bill" you mean "lobbying against what they disagree with" you'd also be right - and describing what we all consider to be a fundamentally necessary freedom in hellenic civilisation. It's why it's protected by the first amendment of the US bill of rights.

And in no place in Ireland are cars, alcohol, knives or electricity an absolute necessity for survival. (Well, maybe hospitals, but I'm hard pressed to think of any other). And yet, we don't ban private ownership of those, even though they all kill people every single year through accident or intentional abuse.

I've said from the outset I do not frown upon gun sports. Hunting is also important in places. The IRA and drug gangs don't pay taxes either so they do not come into the equation.

You seem to be arguing in an Irish context.There is no problem with guns in Ireland. Irish citizens do not feel the need to purchase AR15s or start printing 3D guns or march on Washington. Quite a few American citizens do however, it may be a minority however there are a considerable number regardless.
    Do you think America has a problem with guns?
    Do you think there is a similar attitude surrounding guns in Ireland? And if not why is that?

• Advertisement

Is everything you post going to be misinformed?

Here's my local militia;

http://www.nmsg-mil.org/

There are also many other civilian militias operating and training in NM.

I am quite aware that militias still exist. They are becoming popular once again after Timothy McVeigh nearly put them out of business. The constitutional right was drafted in a time when militias were widespread and vital. Now they are not.

A firearm is never imperative for survival. Until you need it. Then it becomes quite important. Even if you're the first person in three years to be the victim of a home invasion in your town...

Points noted.

Do you think then that increased background checks may curb criminals from attaining such guns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

And yet most Americans will staunchly defend their right to keep and bear arms. Common sense and nothing else dictates that their gun laws are STUPID. Handgun for home defence =/= the laws they have at the moment. The original idea, of course, was a "well regulated militia", in the same sense as the Swiss have, i.e. if the nation is invaded everyone is armed to the teeth and can defend the country.

America not being Switzerland, and having so many more cultural problems and diversities, this is simply not going to work in modern times.

I won't brand an entire nation as purebred morons, but the definition does apply to anyone who thinks this sort of carry on should be allowed. Nothing wrong with owning a gun, but they should be controlled with common fúcking sense:

1. No kids near guns. EVER. It's not responsible to teach them how to use them, it is completely, utterly and indefensibly STUPID.

2. No guns in public. EVER. Concealed carry and all of that maybe, but never, EVER open carry.

3. No assault weapons. EVER.

4. Remove the right to bear arms. It was written 230 years ago when a bolt action rifle hadn't even been invented, yet alone automatic assault weapons. It's oudated, stupid, moroninc, and needs to be removed from a majority of people who think it's sensible because because the ridiculous notion was bred into them. It's not even their fault that they are so staunch about it.

America is one of those countries that personifies everything wrong with pure capitalism - in most countries, politics is an at least partially corrupt business in that political donations and lobbying plays a major part in putting people in power. But at least in most countries you have, for the most part, free thinking populations who don't allow themselves be brainwashed by constant advertising. In America, again for the most part, people will believe what the TV tells them.

Gross generalisation? Yes, probably.

TRUE gross generalisation? Yes. Probably.

And what it means is that America is either too stubborn or too bloody stupid to pass a referendum on gun laws even if it was ever called. And that's why it'll never change, none of the above will ever happen, and people will keep getting shot by the hundred thousand load every year.

Do you think then that increased background checks may curb criminals from attaining such guns?

I'm sure it'll have some effect. And also some on the mental health side of things.

Really, I've no problem with the idea of a background check. It's kindof silly to have a law saying "it is illegal for a felon to obtain a firearm" if we don't actually follow it.

sdeire wrote: »

1. No kids near guns. EVER. It's not responsible to teach them how to use them, it is completely, utterly and indefensibly STUPID.

No it's not. A lot of shooters in Ireland would have fired their first shots before they were even 10.

3. No assault weapons. EVER.

Define an assault weapon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement