Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not recognising yourself/people you know

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

those, they vary in consistency daily.

Or is this a thinly veiled drunk reference?

Copy and paste the symptoms into google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Avasa wrote: »
    Are you very stressed out or taking any medications atm? That could be a factor.
    Dont stress about it too much, it can happen to anyone. Just go have a chat with your GP as soon as you can.
    I am rarely stressed and am on no meds. I've seen a psychiatrist because of suspicions I had schizoid PD but the symptoms come and go. Its strange, I feel and think so many different ways during the day, its almost like I'm a different person at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Get that checked out OP.

It's an actual problem which can have underlying causes.

Don't stress about it, but do get it checked out and investigated.

You should probably look at getting an appointment with a neurologist, to just check things over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Are you young OP? Is it just a case of you realising that Mammy and Daddy are just Jim and Jayne and you're starting to understand that they are and were people first before they were the figures of parenthood and stuff? Just your perception of the world changing as you are growing to fit it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Today I had a bizarre experience, I looked in the mirror and didn't recognise myself at all. I thought someone had taken over my very self and it was a strange sensation. I felt unreal. I came to after a few moments and reminded myself "its me". I often notice things I haven't noticed before about my features when I look in the mirror and wonder "was that always there, and I just didn't notice it?" yet I rarely change my appearance.

A similar event happened only a few days ago, I was home for lunch and my folks had a few family friends over. I went into the room to say hi, but I looked around and struggled to identify them. I knew their names, but the rest of their identities became foreign to me. These are people whom I've known and met plenty of times all throughout my life. Things like this seem to be occurring more frequently in my life.

Anyone else have strange experiences like this?

Nope I still see the same sexy focker looking back.

OP does your new self make you horny?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Avasa

The level of ignorance on here from some people is actually really upsetting.

Clandestine the docs get it wrong all the time (at least mine do!) but you must persist to get the right treatment despite how long it takes and how annoying it is to have to talk to unhelpful people! It could be schizoid, or another similar condition. Either way they are there to get you the right diagnosis and treatment, which you deserve! Try to get all your doctor notes together for reference and persist with the GP and psychiatrist till you get the proper treatment. I presume you have had other medical testing to rule out physical problems?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

Its strange, I feel and think so many different ways during the day, its almost like I'm a different person at times.

So does everybody mate. Seriously, get checked out or whatever but I think you are overestimating normality tbh. We all think so many different ways and have a ton of crap in our heads, that's just the human condition.

As I say, see someone if you want but everyone will tell you when they have a few drinks or whatever that they think some mad crap at times or feel like different people at times. If people's thoughts were something they couldn't hide and you were sit on a packed bus, you'd be quite shocked at how fcuked up "normal people" are.

Don't think or worry about it so much, try and put your attention on things you are interested in as much as possible and sure if you find that hard from time to time, so be it, tomorrow is another day, don't fret over it anyway. We're all have a unique way of being. Look at Woody Allen, guy made a living out of turning his neurotic thoughts into film.

All the best with it all anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Prosopagnosia? Go to your gp.

http://www.faceblind.org/facetests/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

Avasa wrote: »
    The level of ignorance on here from some people is actually really upsetting

avasa, as I mentioned in the feedback thread, if the op had of posed in personal issues or one of the health forums, there would have been no tongue in cheek answers.

he posted in ah, so replies are based on the presumption that the op enjoys typical ah replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Sounds like depersonalisation/derealisation. I get it sometimes because of migraines and persistent aura.
    You should see the doctor to find out the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Have you thought about sun life over 50? You get a free parker pen when you sign up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

No medical advice on boards, please go and see your doctor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement