Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science with Business

Options
  • 22-03-2016 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My daughter has been looking at this course at TCD among other possible courses.

https://www.tcd.ie/courses/undergraduate/az/course.php?id=DUBMF-BCOM-2F09

Is there anyone that is on the course or is a recent graduate that can comment on it? She is good at Business, Accounting and Maths. Does it give a good balance between computer science and business that can be applied in the workplace or is it a watered down version of a computer science degree and need to be supplemented by a Masters?

We attended the talk on the open day on this course and it was awful. The guy giving it concentrated mostly on how good the business department was in TCD and how many professors they had, very little practical information about the course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

Hey,
    I'm doing this course at the moment. While it is quite unorganised, to say it's "watered down" would be silly. We do the same amount of programming as pure CS, what we miss out on in first year anyway, are modules like Telecoms and Digital Logic Design. We do less hardware, but gain a grounding in business.

I'd recommend it, but if you're really worried about employability, MSISS might be the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 taraxoxo

Dats me wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm doing this course at the moment. While it is quite unorganised, to say it's "watered down" would be silly. We do the same amount of programming as pure CS, what we miss out on in first year anyway, are modules like Telecoms and Digital Logic Design. We do less hardware, but gain a grounding in business.

I'd recommend it, but if you're really worried about employability, MSISS might be the job.

If you could choose again, would you choose CS & Business, or MSISS? Do you know where the graduates of both are tending to end up in? Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Doing it now, first year. Being honest it has been the most relaxed year of my life. Dont really have to go into college for anything. spend longer getting to college than actually in there :D even with my lack of attendance im easily on top of things, Trinity time their breaks brilliantly, last week now then 3 weeks to study(more than enough time). MSISS or CSB all depends on what you enjoy, I got 560 in the LC so could have done either, but I did my due diligence and CSB seemed like the right choice :) good at business, accounting and maths hahahahah thats no help in first year, only thing that is beneficial from the LC is economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

Just want to add onto this thread and ask if this course would offer similar job prospects to the pure computer science course? As in, would it have enough CS modules so as you are ready to become a fully fledged programmer/ software engineer after graduating? I believe the business modules sound more interesting than the equivalent ones they replace on the CS course but I'm not sure if they are as valuable to employers. Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 theskeptic

Some thoughts...

* Employers rarely select a candidate based on the college they went to.
    * Employers rarely select a candidate based on which module options they selected.
    * Once you have 3+ years experience (after graduating), the degree is even less important to an employer.
    * Most IT jobs in Ireland are not pure technical roles.

• Advertisement

theskeptic wrote: »
    Some thoughts...

* Employers rarely select a candidate based on the college they went to.
    * Employers rarely select a candidate based on which module options they selected.
    * Once you have 3+ years experience (after graduating), the degree is even less important to an employer.
    * Most IT jobs in Ireland are not pure technical roles.

I'm thinking about moving to the US after college, would the course title turn some employers off or would it be a non-issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 theskeptic

I'm thinking about moving to the US after college, would the course title turn some employers off or would it be a non-issue?

I doubt it - but no harm to mention on your CV (or one page Resume if in US) that your degree is equivalent to a BS in computer science with business (or something like that).

Bear in mind:

* Your CV (including education details) is to help you get to the interview stage.
    * Many US companies focus almost entirely on problem solving / competency type interviews with less emphasis on what you (claim you) did and more on what you can do.
    * In larger companies, the person interviewing you might only glance at your CV a few minutes before the interview (sad but true).
    * Many people, especially recent grads, get over enthused by their contact with recruitment managers (either company recruitment managers in HR or external agencies). Their job is to gather lots of potential candidates for the hiring manager to review. The hiring manager is the one who decides whether to hire you. The funnel gets much narrower at this stage.

theskeptic wrote: »

Thanks for the reply, it's put me at ease anyway for after college. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dante

Graduated a few years ago, from experience it's a very employable degree. Everyone in my course had little trouble with finding jobs, ranging from the big consulting companies to full fledged software development jobs. I would assume this is still the case now.

Graduated a few years ago, from experience it's a very employable degree. Everyone in my course had little trouble with finding jobs, ranging from the big consulting companies to full fledged software development jobs. I would assume this is still the case now.

After the English paper one I had I'm not sure I'll have the points for the course anyway :D it will probably go up by a good bit this year considering how few places there are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 aimeeggg

Hi, no1 on my CAO is MSISS, however I'm a bit nervous of whether I'll get the points or not. The thing that interests me the most is the fact MSISS is a business type degree with a lot of science elements to it, I'm quite mathsy and my fave subjects are physics economics and accounting. For my second option it's a tie between engineering with management and computer science and business. Which do you think is the most similar course to MSISS?

Advertisement