Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sociology and Social Policy

Options
  • 19-02-2016 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Im in Leaving Cert at the moment and I'm interested in this course as I have an interest in areas such as Geography, Law, Economics and Sociology.
    I just have a couple of questions;

What are employment prospects like? What careers could I progress into from this degree?
    How is this degree looked upon? Is it seen as a fall back from something like BESS? (I heard it was but they seem like an unreliable source)
    Coming from Galway, and not being able to attend the open day, what is Trinity College like for people not used to living in a big city?
    And finally, what is the course itself like? How large is the workload and what is the subject matter like?

I know I'm bombarding you with questions, so I apologise and if you could answer any that would be great!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Gadfly Girl

The course modules are very similar to BESS but with a focus on Social Policy instead of Business, definitely not a fall back from BESS that's a bizarre statement you were fed. Both course are as good as what the person doing them puts in, and each is angled slightly in different directions. Soc Soc Pol also shares many modules with the Social Work students.

The course that best suits you will depend on your preference for career afterwards. In many cases an honours degree of any subject is sufficient to enter many businesses.

Soc Soc Pol gives an edge to those seeking employment or further study in NGO, local government, government, research, policy, journalism, and many other areas. Go with the subject modules you will most enjoy, these are the ones you will find easier and do well in. BESS is a very large class, where as Soc Soc Pol is quite small, there are both pros and cons to this.

I cannot offer much advice re the move etc, but would strongly suggest taking part in anything at all during freshers week, joining some clubs or societies this is the best way to adjust to college life.

I do know of students on BESS who did not enjoy the business aspects and managed to tailor BESS to be more heavy on the Sociology. Choosing a course is such a personal/subjective thing.

Best of luck

Advertisement