Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying first car budget advice?

Options
  • 17-07-2014 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Hi Im going to by my first car been driving since i was 17 and am 21 now. I currently work full time earning 350 EURO a week. I have 3500 in the bank and money in the credit union. I have 4 yrs no claims bonus have a full clean licence and have never been in an accident. I am currently on my dads policy as a named driver and have been since I was 17/18.

I'm thinking of buying a small 1 litre engine/ 1.2 litre polo (or similar small engine car). My MAX spending on the car will be 1500 EURO. My question is is this a good budget and will the money I have coming in be enough to cover me? I need to buy a car asap to get to work from beaumont to the airport.

Ant advice would be great. Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yaris is the best choice IMO. Your budget will get you a 99/00/01 model. They're cheap to run and will retain most of what you pay for it when you sell it on.

Spend a bit more on the car or you will be borrowing for repairs. I'd say your CU will be delighted to see you

Spend a bit more on the car or you will be borrowing for repairs. I'd say your CU will be delighted to see you

How much do you have to spend on a car so that you won't have to borrow for repairs?

Also, why are you responding soley to threads that mention the credit union?

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=720449&sort=newest

You'd have to ask a mechanic about that, but experience had taught me that you have to be really really lucky not to be buying trouble when you buy a car over 10 years old. Mechanics will tell you which cars are to be avoided based on your budget

My mechanic drives a 95 fiesta

• Advertisement
Advertisement