Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

12v. Coolbox

Options
  • 06-09-2015 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hello folks,
    I've been given a coolbox that runs from 230 volt supply or from the 12v. socket in a car. It's almost new. Here's the catch: The plug has been cut from the 12v. lead because the previous owner used crocodile clips to attach directly to a battery. I want to attach a 12v. plug, BUT; both leads are black. Is there any way I can identify which is negative (or positive)?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

noddyone2 wrote: »
    Hello folks,
    I've been given a coolbox that runs from 230 volt supply or from the 12v. socket in a car. It's almost new. Here's the catch: The plug has been cut from the 12v. lead because the previous owner used crocodile clips to attach directly to a battery. I want to attach a 12v. plug, BUT; both leads are black. Is there any way I can identify which is negative (or positive)?
    Thanks.

the one with the writing on it is usually positive (the writing will be tiny and white on the cable)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

How did the previous owner know which crocodile clip to connect to which battery terminal?

I'm thinking out loud here but - is it possible that polarity doesn't matter as it's stepping up to an AC voltage...........?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

crosstownk wrote:
    I'm thinking out loud here but - is it possible that polarity doesn't matter as it's stepping up to an AC voltage...........?

The fan would run backwards if you reverse the polarity id imagine.

Try stripping the wire or ad some wire and connect it to the battery make sure the fan is running in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

The fan would run backwards if you reverse the polarity id imagine.

Try stripping the wire or ad some wire and connect it to the battery make sure the fan is running in the right direction.

I highly doubt it. Chances are there is a diode fitted and it will only work when connected the right way. I doubt damage would be done if you connect it in reverse, it just would not power on because the diode wouldn't allow current to flow in the wrong direction.

What worries me is the previous owner removed the plug and ran the coolbox presumably without a fuse :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

crosstownk wrote: »
    How did the previous owner know which crocodile clip to connect to which battery terminal?

Would it be stepping up to AC though? I wouldn't have thought so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Would it be stepping up to AC though? I wouldn't have thought so

I misread the OP and thought the coolbox required a 230VAC - Having read the OP carefully this time, I see it's dual supply. :o

Advertisement