Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bleeding the clutch on a 1.6 Impreza

• 04-09-2015 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭

anyone here have any experience with the mechanical's of a 1.6 impreza???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

anyone???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Do you know where the bleed nipple is?

If so it just like bleeding the brakes.

Make sure the reservoir is well topped up before beginning.
    Get another person to help.
    Pump the clutch pedal a few times.
    Open the bleed nipple let the fluid drain while the person in the car presses the clutch to the floor.
    Close the bleed nipple and the person in the car then releases the pedal.

Lather, rinse repeat until the fluid comes out of the bleed nipple without any air or if your changing fluid until the new fluid comes out also without air bubbles.

While I haven't done this on an Impreza, I have done it on other cars without issue.
    A short piece of silicone tubing and a jar to collect the fluid is also useful.

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Do you know where the bleed nipple is?

If so it just like bleeding the brakes.

Make sure the reservoir is well topped up before beginning.
    Get another person to help.
    Pump the clutch pedal a few times.
    Open the bleed nipple let the fluid drain while the person in the car presses the clutch to the floor.
    Close the bleed nipple and the person in the car then releases the pedal.

Lather, rinse repeat until the fluid comes out of the bleed nipple without any air or if your changing fluid until the new fluid comes out also without air bubbles.

While I haven't done this on an Impreza, I have done it on other cars without issue.
    A short piece of silicone tubing and a jar to collect the fluid is also useful.
    thank for the above,much appreciated :D It's actually a stuck clutch due to sitting in the one spot 7 years :rolleyes: haven't attempted to free it yet :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Jeremy Clarkson put a piece of wood jamming the pedal of his alfa down for a few days. worked for him!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Jeremy Clarkson put a piece of wood jamming the pedal of his alfa down for a few days. worked for him!

what hasn't Clarkson tried :D even if I could spray some lubricant onto the flywheel that may do it but I can't see any area where I can access it with the gearbox on,not even the slightest of gaps,but those cars have the gearbox right in the centre of the car rather than to the left of the right of the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

What have you tried so far ?
    Are the hydraulics working - when clutch pedal is pressed can you see movement ?
    Is engine starting and running ?
    Start it and let it run for a while - heat from engine could help .
    With clutch pedal pressed to the floor
    try rocking the car back and forwards - even give it a tow.

dooroy wrote: »
    What have you tried so far ?
    Are the hydraulics working - when clutch pedal is pressed can you see movement ?
    Is engine starting and running ?
    Start it and let it run for a while - heat from engine could help .
    With clutch pedal pressed to the floor
    try rocking the car back and forwards - even give it a tow.

have the car up and running,just couldn't select a gear,it has 1 flat front tyre and is in gravel,i will consider all options at this point as I genuinely believe it is just 2 plates stuck to each other now,car was perfect and unabused when parked up,but look at the weather it has sat through since 2008 without once being started until last week or moved at all since then.i was told try turning it over in 4th gear with the clutch pressed down and that could free it,i assume wd40 is a big no no?

It has been idle a long time as you say and the disc is probably well rusted on both sides now - one side to the flywheel and one side to the pressure plate.
    You can try the starter with it in gear , clutch pressed , foot on brake as it will jump and could start and move forward.
    I wouldn't like to do much of this as its hard on the starter.
    If you are trying a tow get it off the gravel onto tarmac or concrete etc .- as the wheels will probably just slide through the gravel .
    Just short pulls , try a few .
    There is also the possibility that the lining will pull off one side of the clutch disc - and then it will have to come out anyway .
    Wouldn't have much hope of the WD40 getting to where its needed - and also if it does get between friction material and metal and the clutch frees out the WD could then cause the clutch to slip .

dooroy wrote: »
    It has been idle a long time as you say and the disc is probably well rusted on both sides now - one side to the flywheel and one side to the pressure plate.
    You can try the starter with it in gear , clutch pressed , foot on brake as it will jump and could start and move forward.
    I wouldn't like to do much of this as its hard on the starter.
    If you are trying a tow get it off the gravel onto tarmac or concrete etc .- as the wheels will probably just slide through the gravel .
    Just short pulls , try a few .
    There is also the possibility that the lining will pull off one side of the clutch disc - and then it will have to come out anyway .
    Wouldn't have much hope of the WD40 getting to where its needed - and also if it does get between friction material and metal and the clutch frees out the WD could then cause the clutch to slip .

yeah i'm considering doing it but haven't started it now again in a few days purely because the car is on someone else's property,i have experience of starter problems with Subaru's so i know where you are coming from,if this works and it does indeed free the clutch,is it a case of just driving on or would it need a clutch replacement in the long term? valid point also on the WD40,to get the car out of where it is,failing to free the clutch it would need to be lifted by the 4 wheels as it sits in behind a wall,the person who originally parked it there didn't intend on it being there this long but personal circumstances changed that.i've looked up this issue on youtube also and all i can find is American cars with stuck clutches with all seem to be auto iirc.

KC161 wrote: »
    yeah i'm considering doing it but haven't started it now again in a few days purely because the car is on someone else's property,i have experience of starter problems with Subaru's so i know where you are coming from,if this works and it does indeed free the clutch,is it a case of just driving on or would it need a clutch replacement in the long term? valid point also on the WD40,to get the car out of where it is,failing to free the clutch it would need to be lifted by the 4 wheels as it sits in behind a wall,the person who originally parked it there didn't intend on it being there this long but personal circumstances changed that.i've looked up this issue on youtube also and all i can find is American cars with stuck clutches with all seem to be auto iirc.

It should roll in neutral and can be pushed/towed - clutch stuck or not ; unless there is another problem.
    If the clutch does free out it could be fine - just wait and see.
    Could be a bit 'noisy' at first as the rusty stuff is cleaned off the flywheel and pressure plate - just as the clutch engages and disengages only .

• Advertisement
Advertisement