Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Efficient Gas Boiler Setting/Timing

Options
  • 18-10-2014 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I recently got a Ferroli Modena 25SE installed in my house along with EPH heating control and thermostat and automatic valves on the hot water tank (new with insulation). The downstairs radioators have thermostatic dials. Upstairs does not. Attic is well insulated. BER is C1.

I'm just wondering what the most efficient duration/timing would be to heat the house.

At the moment I'm allowing the water to heat for one hour from 5am -6am only which gives sufficient water for the day.

Then I have the heat set to come on for 1hour 10 mins from 6.20am to 7.30am and again for 1 hour 10 mins from 6pm to 7.10pm.

I've been messing around with the settings on the radioators etc. trying to get things to my liking. I'd like the house to maintain 20 degrees throughout the day. At the moment I'm setting the thermostat at 22-23 to achieve this.

Would I be better to leave set the thermostat to 20 and just leave the heating on for longer? And if so, how long? Could I just leave it on constant and let the theromostat control when it comes on and off?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

OFF

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

20 is very comfortable for living spaces. Bedrooms fint need to be kept at 20. 16 is good for bedrooms.

Why set the temperature to 23 to keep it at 20? Just set it for 20 the thermostat and controller should be able to keep it at that.

What you find is they have a band so it'll turn on at 19.5 deg and kick out at 20.5 or similar. Depends on the PID set up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

scudo2 wrote: »
    OFF

Any useful replies from more decent people?

ted1 wrote: »
    20 is very comfortable for living spaces. Bedrooms fint need to be kept at 20. 16 is good for bedrooms.

Why set the temperature to 23 to keep it at 20? Just set it for 20 the thermostat and controller should be able to keep it at that.

What you find is they have a band so it'll turn on at 19.5 deg and kick out at 20.5 or similar. Depends on the PID set up

Thanks Ted. So with the thermostat, could I leave the boiler on all the time with the theromostat contrlling it so boiler only kicking in when it dips down to say, 19?

Definitely agree, would like the bedrooms cooler. Have a new baby though so it needs to be at 18 for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Eglinton wrote: »

I'd consider scudo decent. op you are way over complicating things. where did you get the notion to set it for 1 hour and 10 mins????
    do as ted says. have each zone with separate time and temperature control

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I'd consider scudo decent. op you are way over complicating things. where did you get the notion to set it for 1 hour and 10 mins????
    do as ted says. have each zone with separate time and temperature control

I don't have zones unfortunately. The layout of the pipes doesn't allow it easily.

The system is just new. I just testing it out. I've been increasing the duration day by day until it's only long enough to last all day. One hour ten minutes is where I'm at at the moment as I want to balance the temperature with the cost.

So my question is, do I leave the thermostat in charge completely or just put on timer for an hour or two twice a day? What would be most efficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I don't have zones unfortunately. The layout of the pipes doesn't allow it easily.

The system is just new. I just testing it out. I've been increasing the duration day by day until it's only long enough to last all day. One hour ten minutes is where I'm at at the moment as I want to balance the temperature with the cost.

So my question is, do I leave the thermostat in charge completely or just put on timer for an hour or two twice a day? What would be most efficient?

Unless your house is A rated don't leave the thermostat in charge. The ideal way is to have time and temp control. Not just temp control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Living areas 22c
    Bedrooms18c
    Time allowance depends on the individual heat loss from house V boiler time.
    That can only be achieved with trial and error. Thermostats or NEW wireless Thermostats will achieved that as they can moniture the heat in the room/area 12 times per hour, mine is a HORSTMANN HRT4-ZW or look up NEST controllers.
    EPH also has a large range of products.

Officaly "OFF" setting is the most economical.
    You asked !

Eventually you'll figure out the most comfortable and sustainable temperature setting is whatever your wife wants.

Decent I am. ( a well known fact )

Feel free to thank me !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

scudo2 wrote: »
    Living areas 22c
    Bedrooms18c
    Time allowance depends on the individual heat loss from house V boiler time.
    That can only be achieved with trial and error. Thermostats or NEW wireless Thermostats will achieved that as they can moniture the heat in the room/area 12 times per hour, mine is a HORSTMANN HRT4-ZW or look up NEST controllers.
    EPH also has a large range of products.

Officaly "OFF" setting is the most economical.
    You asked !

Eventually you'll figure out the most comfortable and sustainable temperature setting is whatever your wife wants.

Decent I am. ( a well known fact )

Feel free to thank me !

I want to thank u scudo but u wont allow me to :D:D:D:D

Advertisement