Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open plan room 5kw multi fuel stove (Non Boiler)

Options
  • 15-10-2014 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get a multi fuel non boiler stove to help get some warmth in my home. The house is insulated 50mm warm board but has no central heating.

The house is open plan. One large room incorporating kitchen, dining room and front room. In total it's about 25ft long and 12 ft wide with a kitchen also to the side of about 8ft by 6ft.

I used one of the online stove calculate reminds me of my mortgage one :)

It suggested a 5Kw stove..

Now my fire place opening is W 480mm H 670mm D 360mm.

I know you have leave a distance of least 2 inches around the stove I believe.

So any tips or guidance or stoves you guys could recommend to heat up my cold home until I get the central heating in :)

Cheers

The Cig

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flynny50

My downstairs layout is something similiar to yours.
    Got an Oisin stove from Waterford stanley.
    Very easy to install & throws out more than enough heat for our area.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Chalkitdowndiy

Yeah, put a stove in this year too. They are great. Was looking at an Oisin too, but you can pay as much or as little as you want. 5kw to 7kw would sound about right to me. Don't forget the Carbon Monoxide detector as well.

ChalkItDown :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

Cheers guys... Good tip about carbon monoxide detector :) how much would you expect to pay for an Oisin?

I've to look measurements now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flynny50

Oisin should be under 500.
    Kit to connect it around 150 & then installation.
    Worth every penny though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Olymberyl Gabriel or Henley Aran just as good as an Oisin at around e400.
    Henley have a new stove called a Cambridge 7.5kw which looks like its fantastic quality and very sleek looking.

http://www.henleystoves.com/room-heaters/oxford-7kw-6/cambridge-7-5kw-room-heater-stove

The little Arrow 5kw is another nice little stove at a reasonable price that's great quality.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads :) does anyone have experience with woodferne stoves?

http://www.woodferne.com/hearld-stove/

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    Olymberyl Gabriel or Henley Aran just as good as an Oisin at around e400.
    Henley have a new stove called a Cambridge 7.5kw which looks like its fantastic quality and very sleek looking.

http://www.henleystoves.com/room-heaters/oxford-7kw-6/cambridge-7-5kw-room-heater-stove

The little Arrow 5kw is another nice little stove at a reasonable price that's great quality.

That Cambridge looks like could be a winner.

Sanchez what do you make of the output though - 4.5kw might be a little low for many standard/mainstream sized Irish sitting rooms and 7.5kw a little high?
    Wondering will this be a drawback to these stoves

Went with Waterford Stanley Oisin in the end. Got it on sale in Davies in Harmonstown and got great advice off them..

Great Stanley show room there too.

Thanks for all the advice lads :)

Any tips were go get a black granite hearth that would support a my oisin stove?

Or even what to expect to pay? Standard size one.

Did you get a CO detector too? Make sure to install it nearer the floor than the ceiling. I've seen experts suggest installing up high on a wall, but I think that is bad advice as CO is heavier than air and sinks. So, detector should be installed low on a wall and probably as low as the stove istelf but not too close - perhaps around 5 feet away.

• Advertisement

Cheers Chalk.. I got one :) good to know about the emissions.

Trying to ffigure out best place to buy a black hearth now that stove would go on?

Also I want to line the inside of the fireplace with black tiles. Is there any particular heat resistant type?

Not sure about the hearth, but the heat resistant stuff I've seen is often either smooth slab (the pink stuff - i.e. heat resistant) and then there's the brick-patterned heat resistant board that I've only ever seen in a cream or white colour. I guess you could contact a tile shop on the tiles, but I suppose you'd be tiling onto the inside of the alcove onto heat resistant plasterboard. Oh yeah, the other thing is I believe it's recommended that you use metal stud.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Did you get a CO detector too? Make sure to install it nearer the floor than the ceiling. I've seen experts suggest installing up high on a wall, but I think that is bad advice as CO is heavier than air and sinks. So, detector should be installed low on a wall and probably as low as the stove istelf but not too close - perhaps around 5 feet away.

Be careful when giving such advice about co alarms.

For a start the manufacturer instructions on positioning should be followed. Also co readily mixes with air and is unlikely to seperate in a low lying layer of its own under normal circumstances.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Thanks for that Wearb. I completely agree and would always advocate following the manufacturers instructions regarding positioning of CO alarms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Westmeath stone in Ashbourne sell granite hearths of all shapes and sizes.
    Agree completely with manufacturers instructions re CO alarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

An Cigire wrote: »
    Cheers Chalk.. I got one :) good to know about the emissions.

Trying to ffigure out best place to buy a black hearth now that stove would go on?

Also I want to line the inside of the fireplace with black tiles. Is there any particular heat resistant type?

Not sure if ordinary tiles would work. They might crack with the heat if they are close to the stove. The tile shop should be able to advise. Alternative would be the brick effect heat resistant board. Cant remember the name - begins with an s. It's not that cheap. You can then paint it with black heat resistant paint.

I have a stanley oisin in an open plan area and find it excellent.

cocoman wrote: »
    Not sure if ordinary tiles would work. They might crack with the heat if they are close to the stove. The tile shop should be able to advise. Alternative would be the brick effect heat resistant board. Cant remember the name - begins with an s. It's not that cheap. You can then paint it with black heat resistant paint.

I have a stanley oisin in an open plan area and find it excellent.

Will look into the brick backing board sounds interesting! Great feedback for the oisin so far on here, can't wait to get mine fired up :-)

Any idea of what the rough room temperature would be?

Advertisement