Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prepping and respraying bumper with pics

• 30-08-2015 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Mk1 focus fixer upper car going to take of the back bumper and sand back, fill, prime, paint and clear coat

Just looking for any advise on the best method like what grades of paper, any aerosols paints better than others etc

I also want to paint the black panel at bottom of bumper it just plastic no paint so is it just a sand back prime and paint job?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 matthew1979

canhefixit wrote: »
    Mk1 focus fixer upper car going to take of the back bumper and sand back, fill, prime, paint and clear coat

Just looking for any advise on the best method like what grades of paper, any aerosols paints better than others etc

I also want to paint the black panel at bottom of bumper it just plastic no paint so is it just a sand back prime and paint job?

Cheers

I scraped my bumper and was thinking about do the same and to be honest by the time you buy everything it would have been cheaper to have a look for a second hand one ,, I got the same one for €40 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

I scraped my bumper and was thinking about do the same and to be honest by the time you buy everything it would have been cheaper to have a look for a second hand one ,, I got the same one for €40 !

Nowhere near as much fun and satisfaction though.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 matthew1979

bladespin wrote: »
    Nowhere near as much fun and satisfaction though.

Can't argue with that !!
    I will use the old one as a project !

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Steve320

To paint the plastic use a plastic primer other wise paint will flake , also make sure you use a suitable paint system as in decide whether your going to spray 2k paint or 1k or acrylic etc etc

As far as paper is concerned get some 340 grit for the primer and some 1000 grit
    Alcohol wipes for cleaning the panel
    Then for clear coat , 2500 grit and polish
    If using acrylic paint wait 2/3 days until you wetsand and polish ,
    If using 2k u can wetsand once dry

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

Ah most defo will be doing this job myself as the car was bought as a fixer upper so dont mind buying the kit.

Depending on how the back bumper goes i migth even do the same with the front as there a few wee scuffs that id like to get rid of.

@steve320 cheers for that info, most of it dont make any sense to me atm but ill research it proper, what im mainly afraid of is flaking of the paint/clearcoat then it looking crap so is there any full proof way of avaoiding this? cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

It will never be right if aerosol cans are used.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭canhefixit

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It will never be right if aerosol cans are used.

How come? Ive seen a good few diy paint jobs using cans and they still are grand today

I came across a little mini paint gun connect it to air job would that be a better job for applying the paint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

canhefixit wrote: »
    How come? Ive seen a good few diy paint jobs using cans and they still are grand today

I came across a little mini paint gun connect it to air job would that be a better job for applying the paint

It's difficult to apply aerosol paint evenly over a large surface. Maybe others have had success with aerosols but I've never seen anything other than small items looking good after being sprayed with cans.

Advertisement