Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back boiler & oil boiler sealed system

Options
  • 15-10-2014 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi guys i am about to install a back boiler and have a oil boiler also i was just wondering where should i fit a non return valve and does the pump and stat look in the right place near back boiler.Also does the way i am thinking of doin it look ok.I have attached a pic guys,any comments welcome.Thanks guys
    Please excuse my drawning:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

seamus1980 wrote: »
    Hi guys i am about to install a back boiler and have a oil boiler also i was just wondering where should i fit a non return valve and does the pump and stat look in the right place near back boiler.Also does the way i am thinking of doin it look ok.I have attached a pic guys,any comments welcome.Thanks guys
    Please excuse my drawning:D

You CAN'T just link a back boiler onto a sealed system. It will explode.

It has to be professional installed to an open vented system, 4 pipes off back boiler for a start and a lot more !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

scudo2 wrote: »
    You CAN'T just link a back boiler onto a sealed system. It will explode.

It has to be professional installed to an open vented system, 4 pipes off back boiler for a start and a lot more !!

Interested in the 4 pipes off a back boiler? Ours only has fittings for one top one bottom?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

my3cents wrote: »
    Interested in the 4 pipes off a back boiler? Ours only has fittings for one top one bottom?

2 pipes are possible, but 4 a lot better. BUT as Scudo says, no way can it be done on a sealed system as per drawing supplied by OP. BOOM!

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

Ok thanks guys,so by using a header tank for the Back boiler,when connecting into the sealed system(Heating)what would i use,non return valves on flow and return on back boiler pipes just before teeing into the Heating pipes?

Ok thanks guys,so by using a header tank for the Back boiler,when connecting into the sealed system(Heating)what would i use,non return valves on flow and return on back boiler pipes just before teeing into the Heating pipes?

I think you should call a plumber out to explain the principles of dual heating & the gravity requirements of a back boiler.
    Return cannot be piped through the attic + you need 4 pipes for safe dual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Nobody in their right mind is going to help you. Solid fuel is extremely dangerous in the hands of people who haven't a clue, and you my friend .......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Nobody in their right mind is going to help you. Solid fuel is extremely dangerous in the hands of people who haven't a clue, and you my friend .......

Sorry, long day. Seriously though, stop thinking you're capable of doing this. It's so dangerous and you're potentially putting peoples lives at risk

• Registered Users Posts: 48 donedl1

As stated by the other posters solid fuel is not a subject to give anything other than specific advice on. If you want to convert to a duel heating system then find plumbers in your local area that work with solid fuel and get advice. Unlike gas we do not have the legal option to disconnect the system and I have seen some systems that if the pump were ever to fail the outcome will not be anything other than disastrous.

Guy's,
    Seamus has plumbing experience, which I forgot, but obviously not on solid fuel.
    At least he ask us for our advice.

Seamus I recommend getting a buddy/plumber to look at your house and explain things.
    Again, thanks for asking and please always do.
    It's people who don't ask questions that end up in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

scudo2 wrote: »
    Guy's,
    Seamus has plumbing experience, which I forgot, but obviously not on solid fuel.
    At least he ask us for our advice.

Seamus I recommend getting a buddy/plumber to look at your house and explain things.
    Again, thanks for asking and please always do.
    It's people who don't ask questions that end up in trouble.

Thanks mate,and thanks for the pm.Yea tbh i never did solid fuel system before,as worked on a big building site and very little small jobs,Also i am a qualified plumber but i forget most things from collage,I do have how ever the plumbing and heating book from collage so i must read over solid fuel part.
    I will give you a bell mate,Your right i have a work mate who knows more about solid fuel than i do,I will get some advise from him.Thanks again all for your comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭310

called to look at a job cirpump gone thats what i was told on stove 30 kw when i called to look at job what i saw i walked away from it solid fuel on pressurised hot water 3/4 coil on clyinder open vented heating pipes rise up from stove to attic vent on flow cold service tee to vent return also in attic with pump and non return then 50ft inch copper then both pipes drop to hot press connected to heating and clyinder who ever fitted stove treated it as an oil boiler shame as its not a quick fix polish plummers you get what you pay for

Advertisement