Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland tickets in schools

Options
  • 30-08-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm stealing the following text from one of the GAA threads which is explaining the distribution of All Ireland tickets at this time of year and just wondering if anyone could shed some light on where the tickets mentioned below actually go in the education system. Have been involved for over 20 years with preparing teams at Primary level and never even got an Allianz league match ticket not to mind an All Ireland one. Not saying I deserve one, I know there's many more doing like me and more but just curious as to where these tickets do end up. Any info??

“Here's a breakdown from a few years ago, figures have changed a bit since with more season tickets also.

County allocations: 58,401
    Provinces: 335
    Overseas: 470
    Central Council and former Presidents: 798
    Camogie: 120
    Ladies’ football: 150
    Rounders and handball: 147
    Sponsors: 935
    Press: 254 (we want some of these)
    TV and radio: 74
    Schools and educational bodies: 2,229
    3rd Level: 240
    Croke Park residents: 250
    Match officials and national referees’ panel: 103
    Irish Sports Council and health bodies: 60
    Match day / Vertigo / minor teams: 148
    GAA staff and sub-committees: 718
    Jubilee teams: 68
    Mini-sevens: 244
    Term tickets: 4,144
    Season tickets: 1,884”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

The tickets are allocated centrally to Cumann na mBunscoil who then distribute them regionally I'd imagine.The number of tickets Cumann na mBunscoil get depends on how many schools are playing games in Cumann na mBunscoil. So if your school has teams playing in these competitions then your school should be getting tickets.

Who from your school goes to the Cumann na mBunscoil meeting? As this is the person most likely getting the tickets.

And by the way it does sound like you deserve a ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

There was a thread about this last yr as far as I can remember.Usually the P and Deputy P. 'use' them. In some schools there is a draw for the tickets with those who train teams putting their names in the hat and being rewarded with a ticket if their name comes out.I do think you have to pay the face value price for the ticket.This is most probably the fairest way.If you look back at last years thread you will find some dubious methods of distributing said tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Conelan

Yeah, vaguely remember last years thread but my recollection of that one was that most contributors were giving info from secondary school perspective. I'm in primary sector.

Doc17- It's me that goes to the Cumann na mBunscoil meeting but in our area that's just a divisional AGM per year. I know some of the officers from the top table would go to county C na mB meetings. Would you need to be in one of those positions to see a ticket?

As I say, have a memory of the thread from last year but as I'm from Tipp I have a bit more of an interest in the issue this year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Up Tipp :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭kronsich

I organise the GAA in my school and we get two tkts for the hurling final and two for the football. I usually buy them and then offer them to teachers from the counties that make the final. Don't even mention it to the boss, reckon they would disappear if I did.

However, if the Dubs had made the final today, I would have taken a football tkt and give another to a Dub who helped out with the teams during the year. Possibly bit unethical but what can ya do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

Conelan wrote: »
    Yeah, vaguely remember last years thread but my recollection of that one was that most contributors were giving info from secondary school perspective. I'm in primary sector.

Doc17- It's me that goes to the Cumann na mBunscoil meeting but in our area that's just a divisional AGM per year. I know some of the officers from the top table would go to county C na mB meetings. Would you need to be in one of those positions to see a ticket?

As I say, have a memory of the thread from last year but as I'm from Tipp I have a bit more of an interest in the issue this year!!!

I would ask at the county meeting where the tickets go. They are allocated, not as many as for second level maybe but that just means you might get one every so often. But to never get one seems wrong

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

In our area, you can put your name forward for a draw to Cumann na mBunscol tickets, if you are involved. There is no guarantee that there will be enough tickets to go around and they are not free. Usually you can apply to enter the draw for hurling or football but not both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

anyone have a link to that old thread...? (im on dud phone lately)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

spurious wrote: »

I think the upshot of the last thread was that nobody had a clue if there was an official system in place!

• Advertisement
Advertisement