Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Aston Martin V8 Vantage or Audi R8 - Which would you choose & why?

Options
  • 08-06-2012 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All,

Looking for opinions on these two motors... probably looking at 2007 models.... especially interested in hearing from any owners, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I'm not an owner nor will be in the immediate future but i'd go for the AM personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

V8 vantage purely for the noise:) One of these pulled away from me in a toll booth in France a couple of years ago and the sound was awesome:):)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

R8 , I hate VAG cars but this one is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

Aston Martin for me, id prefer the look of them plus the Audi is a Audi and loads of them on the road i know not R8's but most people will only see the badge the Aston would stand out a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

My mate has an Aston, always bits going wrong , windows won't go back up etc, probably more stylish, but I would go for the R8.
    probably worth looking at the resale value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'd go with the Audi. From what I've read, it's highly for an aston martin not to give trouble, where the R8 is a more usable car.
    I've never driven either, or even sat in them btw! The r8 is supposed to have amazing handling too.

DaveJac wrote: »
    Aston Martin for me, id prefer the look of them plus the Audi is a Audi and loads of them on the road i know not R8's but most people will only see the badge the Aston would stand out a bit more

Fúck those people! They're idiots, and buying a car to impress them is beyond stupid!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I was researching this very topic this afternoon just incase I won EuroMillions tonight.

If I won I'd be down to Audi tomorrow for the R8. That would be my car.

I'd get an M5 as the every day runaround and a RS6 Avante as the family car

One can dream

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

A Maserati Granturismo might fall into your price bracket. Sweet ass car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Havent driven the R8 but have the V8 Vantage - the 4.3lt I think - looks lovely and awesome sound however didnt feel particularly fast and quite a lot of rattles. Of the two definitely the R8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just to throw a curve-ball into the equation: have you looked at the DB7?

It was reportedly far more reliable than the later models. The Aston is by far the sexier car, the R8 is probably technically better but it's too clinical for my tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

DaveJac wrote: »

That is quite possibly the most stupid statement to make ever when buying a supercar.

Sure lamborghini is owned by Audi, so better not ever buy one of those either. And sure anything in the VW Group is essentially the same thing too. Audi is out, Bentley is out, Bugatti is out, Porsche is out, Skoda is out and SEAT is out. Oh, and Ducati too.

I suppose when you look at it like that, there really are just too many Audi's on the roads :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Aston Martin, just cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Sleepy wrote: »
    Just to throw a curve-ball into the equation: have you looked at the DB7?

Time hasn't done the DB7 many favours, it is really dated looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

R8 for me. Better build quality and reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Matter of opinion I guess. I still like the looks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

♥ ♥ ♥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

The R8. The Vantage is way too heavy for that V8... The V12 Vantage on the other hand...

The closest I got to drive them was in Gran Turismo on the playstation :pac:
    If that's anything to go by (and it isn't), the r8 is 100 times better. So there you go Falcon, buy the R8 because some anonymous guy on a message board drove both on the playstation and reckons the R8 is better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Sobanek wrote: »
    The R8. The Vantage is way too heavy for that V8...

You'd know from experience? V8 Vantage has 62mph in 4.7 seconds and 175mph. Hardly slow. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

166man wrote: »
    Yo'd know from experience? V8 Vantage has 62mph in 4.7 seconds and 175mph. Hardly slow. :)

R8 does it in 4.6 seconds and its top speed is 200mph. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I'd go Audi R8. They're more reliable

Aston Martins can give trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭kdevitt

And its an XJ in drag - don't think its comparable to either the V8 Vantage or R8.

Have been looking into the V8 vantage and have heard of quite a few electrical issues with them - and of owners being separated from their car for weeks while AM resolved them. It's not inspiring much confidence to be honest. I love the look of them, but would probably sleep better at night if I went for the R8. Huge difference in price though, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Driven both (well the V12 Aston) on track days in the UK.
    R8 hands down. I've never been so let down as I was when I drove the AM.
    It sounds amazing and I was just expecting this monster but there was just no...feel...to it. I asked the instructors and they said quite a few people have said the same to them in the past.
    If I'm being honest the R8 was a great car but it was far too easy to drive, I hope you can understand what I mean. It just pointed exactly where you wanted and when you wanted, very stable. Its great most of the time but there is nothing like getting the back out or getting a little wobble to send you heart racing and unfortunately I couldn't....not saying it can't be done just that I couldn't :)

If you're really interested in either then you really should be looking at driving both a few times before you buy, though I'm sure you'd be doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

TheBazman wrote: »
    Havent driven the R8 but have the V8 Vantage - the 4.3lt I think - looks lovely and awesome sound however didnt feel particularly fast and quite a lot of rattles. Of the two definitely the R8.

I agree Bazman, I drove both. The Aston is full of character and you want to love it, but really its not a great car. Not fast enough, the gearbox is **** and the quality is poor. Still makes you feel special though! The R8 is nice, the quality is much better and its much better to drive. Didn't like the steering, but overall a lovely motor.

So.......I'd buy a 911.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Mr.David wrote: »

So.......I'd buy a 911.

;)

Nothing to do with this thread but 911 was mentioned ;-)

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/female-crashes-porsche-911-turbo-into-gas-station-in-turkey-ar130555.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Noise of Aston is delicious.....electrical gremlins will see you get you customers gold card at the garage.

R8 far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

166man wrote: »
    You'd know from experience? V8 Vantage has 62mph in 4.7 seconds and 175mph. Hardly slow. :)

I would suggest that this is the newer model. As I said above having driven the older engined V8 and it didnt feel particularly fast while on the go - certainly not supercar fast. Maybe it does 0-60 close to 5 seconds but I wasnt interested in testing that at the time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Neither are outright fast, the R8 has the same engine as a old RS4, its quick but as the bazman said not super car fast. For me the R8 take it as it mid engined, is stunning to look at on the road (really wide) and has really quality. The Aston is getting a bit cheesy these days, there a bit obviously aspirational and driven by people that want to be James bond. It makes a great noise but neither has an interesting engine, or interesting handling.

Either way this is a high quality decision to make, and either are fantastic cars.

Advertisement