Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persona 5

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I was wondering why persona q reminded me of etrian odyseey

love the chibi style :D

also SO ****IN PUMPED to have the messiah minato back

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some new tidbits about the game from Katsura Hashino.
    Persona 5 is a game about freedom

“In today’s world there’s no shortage of people that are bored or discontent with their lives. They’re at a dead end, chained down to a world which they resent being a part. Persona 5, in that sense, is a game about freedom.”

The shackles are a motif for the game

“They naturally represent the idea of a person’s immobility, of being unable to move ahead from their current position in life… the also simultaneously represent our intent to make a game where the players can actually take the next step and move forward”

Persona 5 is thematically red

“For Persona 3 we went with blue, with Persona 4 we opted for yellow so this time we’re painting the world red. That said, red can be a pretty hard colour on the eyes… so we’re making the interface visually palatable.”

Persona 5 will be more approachable than previous games

“The characters…are out to destroy that which suffocates people in today’s society… I want players to come away from this game feeling they have the power to take on the world around them.”

Keeping the core idea simple

“With Persona 3 and 4, the basic idea was that by banding together… you can get a sort of freedom that you couldn’t by being completely on your own. As you grow up [your beliefs] shift and change under the influence of what other people have to say. The freedom from those dynamics…was what Persona 3 and 4 depicted.”

“Persona 5… operates under its own set of thematic principles… We live in a time in Japan when teenagers and adults can’t just be idling their way through their lives. People have to be on their toes, thinking about and engaging with what is happening around them.”

Don’t sweat the philosophical stuff

“Persona 5 is first and foremost a work of entertainment and we want it to just simply be enjoyable on its own terms. It’s my hope that people will not get too anxious and worked up about how all of these things are going to pan out in the end.”

Persona 5 is a Playstation 3 exclusive that will be available around winter 2014.

http://www.funstock.co.uk/news/persona-5/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Persona 5 will be more approachable than previous games

“The characters…are out to destroy that which suffocates people in today’s society… I want players to come away from this game feeling they have the power to take on the world around them.”

Not liking the sound of this. SMTIV was significantly easier than any Megaten game so far. It wasn't detrimental to the game but it could have done with more of a challenge outside of the dlc super bosses.

I'm pretty sure that this will use the same battle system and fusion system of SMTIV but I just hope they can balance it with difficulty. The fusion system in SMTIV is so open that it's open to abuse which is fun but kills the difficulty.

I'd rather an easy mode and a normal mode which is more in line with the difficulty of the likes of P3/P4/Nocturne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

In other Persona related news, P4 is being released on PS3 as a PS2 classic next week on the US PSN.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/03/persona-4s-playstation-3-release-date-revealed

Even though I feel like I've been spoiled by the additional content in P4G, I can't wait to play it again. It is by far my favourite game of all time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Serious huzzah - a PS4 version is also coming http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/1/6092299/persona-5-coming-to-ps3-and-ps4-in-2015

The game has been delayed until next year, but given how little we've heard of it I'd say that was inevitable for a while.

Id say the PS4 version will just have a resolution boost but it's welcome, it will be the first JRPG worth playing on the system. They'll probably show gameplay at TGS this month.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Yessss great news

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Id say the PS4 version will just have a resolution boost but it's welcome, it will be the first JRPG worth playing on the system. They'll probably show gameplay at TGS this month.

I'd imagine it will just be the same sort of thing as with the current Yakuza games - a technical spit n polish for the next gen version. Can't really blame them, given that the combined userbase of the PS3 and 4 in Japan particularly is still low.

It's a smart move, though, and not just because there'll be a prettier version of the game knocking around. Even with a PS3 version, I'd imagine the hype around a full new Persona game - the popularity of which has increased exponentially since the last release - is good enough for a fairly solid PS4 boost in Japan. If they play the marketing right, it could serve both Sony and Atlus very well indeed.

• Advertisement

I doubt it will cause a big demand for the PS4 in Japan. Home consoles are pretty much dead in Japan outside of the Otaku audience. A Vita port ala Golden is inevitable I'd say.

In the West though it could well be a big deal. With Final Fantasy 15 in development hell it will be the first JRPG on the system worth giving a damn about which should really give it a sales boost and gain a much bigger audience for SMT and Persona.

I still would have much preferred the game on handheld, I just can't play long RPGs on a console anymore but that's personal preference.

Just catching up on the news. I see Dragon Quest got announced for the PS4. If any game can get Japanese gamers in board with the PS4 then it's Dragon Quest. That could be a game changer.

Sadly, it's a Dragon Quest Dynasty Warriors style game :(

Sadly, it's a Dragon Quest Dynasty Warriors style game :(

Ah screw that.

I was wondering why it was announced for the PS4 though, typically DQ comes to the console with the largest install base so it would be for 3DS if anything.

Even at that Square has given up on DQ in the west, the last 3 games remain unlocalised so it probably wouldn't be released anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Ah screw that.

I was wondering why it was announced for the PS4 though, typically DQ comes to the console with the largest install base so it would be for 3DS if anything.

Even at that Square has given up on DQ in the west, the last 3 games remain unlocalised so it probably wouldn't be released anyway.

Square are apparently evaluating whether to release DQVII on the 3ds in the west atm.

Square have been doing stupid things lately with the ridiculous over estimation of how many units of Sleeping Dogs, Hitman and Tomb Raider they were going to sell and their steadfast reluctance to release Bravely Default, which ended up being released by Nintendo and was pretty successful for them too.

I really hope they bring 7 to the west, if any game needs a remake it was that one. I heard they fixed all the flaws. Would love to see the DQ monsters remakes as well.

I really hope they bring 7 to the west, if any game needs a remake it was that one. I heard they fixed all the flaws. Would love to see the DQ monsters remakes as well.

Same, seeing as 1,2,3 and 7 were never released in any form in Europe. Loved 8 and the remakes of 4,5 and 6, 9 not so much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Here's a great dissection of the trailer and I have to say I couldn't stop smiling/laughing while watching it. The two lads are so hyped.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/mz3zkr/persona-5-reveal-trailer-analysis

Got a second trailer which was included in Persona 4 Dancing All Night.

I reckon we'll definitely get a release date by TGS for Japan and America.. I'm not as confident anymore about Europe getting it this year.

• Advertisement

TGS Trailer, honestly it looks amazing and it is a shame that it will be a summer 2016 release now, it also looks like we may be getting a PS4 HD collection of P3&4.

The inevitable delay, but **** it, looks like they'll knock this one out of the park :)

It's so colourful!

I'm not too fussed about the release since I wouldn't be able to play it anyway but for Persona itself, I think it's a great time to release as I feel like it's on the cusp of hitting a more mainstream audience while still being the same series that fans love.

I'm not sure why that is exactly, maybe it's word of mouth after many (myself included) played P4G, similar to how the Soul's series is getting bigger with every release.

Coming out during the usual summer drought as opposed to the hectic fall will help a lot too.

I'm playing SMT3 Nocturne at the moment. It's just more evidence that Atlus are the undisputed kings of japanese RPGs and have been for a long time. Can't fecking wait for this, and SMT x Fire Emblem looks great as well.

Coming out on the 15th of September in Japan

Confirmed for Europe courtesy of Deep Silver of all people: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-06-persona-5-coming-to-europe-courtesy-of-deep-silver

Concerned about the lack of a release date, though, it'd want to be simultaneous with the US!

Confirmed for Europe courtesy of Deep Silver of all people: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-06-persona-5-coming-to-europe-courtesy-of-deep-silver

Concerned about the lack of a release date, though, it'd want to be simultaneous with the US!
    Thats good. Will probably switch my preorder if it comes out in a reasonable timeframe and with a ce that is as good or better than the US Take Your Heart Edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Oh phew, I thought it was another game I totally missed the release on lol, I have til 2017.
    I might treat myself and get the Take Your Heart Edition too.

• Advertisement

I predict a delay in release if there's localisation work for Europe to be done.

Fair play to Deep Silver, they confirmed 7th Dragon and Shin Megami Tensei 4 Apocalypse as physical releases as well.

It makes me wonder what the flip Sega Europe are up... although I imagine it's probably more Sega America or Japan making the call.

Advertisement