Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NHL 15

Options
  • 28-08-2014 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭

Anyone give the demo a try? I haven't played a hockey game in years. Downloaded the demo today and played for a half hour.

It seems pretty good so far. Will need to give it a few hours before I judge it properly. But damn is it hard to score a goal..

http://www.polygon.com/e3-2014/2014/6/9/5792038/nhl-15-xbox-one-ps4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

I played one quick game and won 3-1 on easy. Probably a game I would enjoy now and again playing against one of the lads but definitely won't be purchasing it! It does look well and the gameplay mechanics seemed fine but just not my cup of tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

tony1980 wrote: »
    I played one quick game and won 3-1 on easy. Probably a game I would enjoy now and again playing against one of the lads but definitely won't be purchasing it! It does look well and the gameplay mechanics seemed fine but just not my cup of tea!

Yeh I had it set on expert. Might try drop it down a level tonight and see what it's like.

I was playing it on Pro and have been thrashed all bar one game which was 2-2 and I nailed both of my penalty shots to take the win.

I always liked the Hockey games.

I think of the American sports, it's probably the easiest one to get into if you like soccer games.
    It's pretty similar to indoor 5 a side and the rules are pretty basic.
    You have offsides which are easy to figure out.
    Then the various infractions are easy to adjust to and have the same rate as say FIFA.
    Compared to say Basketball or NFL which have much more at play and a lot of real world infringements are non existent in the games.

I had NHL 12 and 13, and they always provided a few weeks play until FIFA arrived when they went to the back burner but just due to bad timing as opposed to being poor games.

I was actually doing quite well online in 13 whereas in 12 I was just above a 1:1 W/L player.
    Like football though, it doesn't work too well offline as AI just doesn't work well in sports games with a flowing play(NFL, NBA there's set plays so the AI works better).... you need the unpredictability of a user opponent to get a proper experience.

I'll probably pick it up through the US store with EA Access, will work out at E40.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

The way FIFA has gone, I'm gonna pick this up (and probably NBA 2K15, looks great) and give it a proper rattle before I even go near FIFA. Haven't really played an NHL game in years, but have been a fan of the sport for a good while.

Is there an online pro game like in FIFA? As in a few lads joining up in a club with their pros to play other clubs? I think I read something about there being no online team play for a while, or at least until some patch or DLC is installed. Presumably there's still going to be 1v1 online play?

Must download the demo tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Just a quick one on this. I got pissed off with poor fifa iterations and piss poor attempts by pes so decided last year to go with NHL instead so NHL 14.

What's great about it is it has the indepth new gameplay mechanics you'd expect from a 2014 version but also has an old school mode I you can use controls from the 1994 game. This is great when you've the lads round for a few beers.

As far as I'm aware not every version has this old school type mode so if your like me and just want a quick fun pick up and play ice hockey game if go with NHL 14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Where will the cheapest place to buy this in a bricks and mortar shop be ?

HMV or Xtra Vision would be the only place I'd buy from bricks and mortar. Wouldn't even set foot in that other place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

HMV are selling it for €64.99

I'd imagine gamestop are selling it for 70-odd so! I'll prob pick it up in HMV anyway.

Anyone get it? Can't defend for the life of me :P First game I played I was the Wings, went 2-0 up, ended up losing 4-3 because of my woeful defending. Lost first online game 5-0 too :D Think I need a bit of practice before I go back near that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Anyone get it? Can't defend for the life of me :P First game I played I was the Wings, went 2-0 up, ended up losing 4-3 because of my woeful defending. Lost first online game 5-0 too :D Think I need a bit of practice before I go back near that!

Ha... I'll probably buy it today. How smooth is it compared to the demo? I was quite impressed by the lack of major bugs which is normally typical of EA.

It's quite a hard game to be honest. Need to understand the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

irishmover wrote: »
    Ha... I'll probably buy it today. How smooth is it compared to the demo? I was quite impressed by the lack of major bugs which is normally typical of EA.

not many rules really,just offside is the main one to look out for....oh also 'boarding' no matter how much i know not to do it i just have to smash the opponent against the glass,i never learn but its fun :P ...have you guys got it on xbox one?

also hope they release the update soon with tournament mode in it

irishmover wrote: »

I wouldn't be the one to ask about comparisons, I don't usually notice problems until someone points them out :pac: But in my opinion it looks and works great (not had an NHL game since '11 maybe '12).
    Al_Coholic wrote: »
    not many rules really,just offside is the main one to look out for....oh also 'boarding' no matter how much i know not to do it i just have to smash the opponent against the glass,i never learn but its fun :P ...have you guys got it on xbox one?

also hope they release the update soon with tournament mode in it

I'm on PS4 man, sorry :) Yeah, offside is handy enough to figure out, and don't press 'x' near a player :P Smashing someone is tricky enough, need to get that together. Also tend to use FIFA buttons atm when panicking, so instead of tackling I'm making line changes :pac:

Did a little practice run on my own last night, figured out the fake shot and vision control thingy a bit better. Also notice that pressing down on L3 start you off on a wee sprint. new enough to this, might all be old news to you lads.

Any tips on defending? I think I need to figure out who should be marking who, because a lot of the time I concede I'm out trying to check and they pass to an unmarked man in the middle and bam.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I got a copy to review on Thursday and have only had time to play the one game so far, the Stanley Cup Final they put you in when you start the game for the first time.

I won 7-5 on Pro difficulty, absolute madness.

I used to be big into the NHL series but haven't played properly since 11, but the basic game mechanics are still the same, it's just a lot more polished. Very very fun, but I gather they have taken out some pretty important features from 14 that the community is up in arms about.

Will get a chance to give it a proper play this week hopefully.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Very very fun, but I gather they have taken out some pretty important features from 14 that the community is up in arms about.

I don't think it's what everyone is up in arms about, but there's no way you can play a season as a team, which is a bit muck. You're restricted to HUT, Online match play and playing against the computer in one-off matches. There's no online team play or no online pro.

I've not played in a few years and read up on the missing features and would have to say it's a bit of a joke. PS3 and 360 have more features in the game than next-gen consoles.

If it stays as it is on next-gen it'll be enjoyable as a pick up and play the odd time game, but you wouldn't be investing too much time into it.

Anyone any tips on defending or face-offs? Christ, I can't do either. Played one lad recently and I couldn't get past his defenders at all, they just stuck together near the blue line when I attacked and I invariably got 'swallied' up :( Face offs are a disaster for me, I just hammer on the R stick and hope against hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Anyone any tips on defending or face-offs? Christ, I can't do either. Played one lad recently and I couldn't get past his defenders at all, they just stuck together near the blue line when I attacked and I invariably got 'swallied' up :( Face offs are a disaster for me, I just hammer on the R stick and hope against hope!

For faceoffs I just move the L-stick up then down then up etc.

Advertisement