Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LC Foundation Maths Textbooks and Resources

Options
  • 17-10-2013 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in hearing what other maths teachers are using for LC FL Maths given that there is no textbook pubished yet.

I don't really use texts for my other subjects, but for Maths I find they are more necessary so as to have a large bank of questions there for students to work through.

I have one group who are weak mixed ability and we are using OL Active Maths. It's not my favourite textbook personally, but it seems to be working out ok with me picking and choosing questions and supplementing with some extras myself.

My biggest problem is with a very very weak SEN group. OL books are just way way beyond their level and are essentially useless in this context. We need lots of introductory step-by-step work and then lots of repetitive questions on the basics of each topic. At the moment I'm providing all my own notes and worksheets but this is not sustainable due to photocopying and printing restrictions.

What are other teachers doing for groups like this? Are any of the other OL texts more suitable? (None I have seen would work) I'm just finding the whole situation very frustrating. It really feels like FL students are just being ignored - almost as if they are being swept under the carpet in the hopes they'll just disappear! So, I'd really appreciate other teachers' suggestions and feedback on their experiences with FL resources. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

The plan is to get rid of Foundation Level in the near future, so I suppose it's understandable that no publisher has put out a book. Have you considered a Junior Cert Ordinary Level book? You could then supplement that with any extra material needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Thanks for your reply boogle.

I have considered a JC OL book but I think the amount of supplementary materials required will still be significant and that this will be a non-runner in terms of costs for the school - the books being purchased for the rental scheme and still needing to pay for photocopying. I have tried using a JC OL book with TY FL students and they have been extremeley unhappy at doing work from a JC book.

I actually can't fathom the idea that they would scrap FL. I would have to conclude that anyone who would consider such a move is completely and utterly removed from reality in a lot of schools.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can you post a link to this plan to get rid of Foundation Level please?

First I heard of it and I agree with Miss Lockhart, anyone considering getting rid of Foundation Level hasn't much of a clue what goes on in many schools.

Sounds like an ideal person to work in the Department (fnarr fnarr).

I agree completely, anyone who proposes getting rid of Foundation Level has no clue of the reality in the classroom. Our school management is constantly citing the low/non-existing numbers doing FL Irish in our school. What they don't mention is the large amount of SEN students who get exemptions for Irish!

http://www.projectmaths.ie/overview/

On this page they state:

Two revised syllabus levels will be implemented at Junior Certificate, Ordinary level and Higher level, with a targeted uptake of 60% of the student cohort for Higher-level mathematics. This is expected to facilitate increased uptake of Leaving Certificate Higher-level mathematics.

Initially, a Foundation level examination, based on the revised Ordinary level syllabus, will also be provided. As the revised syllabuses and the targeted uptake become established, the necessity for the Foundation level examination will be kept under review.

And for LC they state:
    Leaving Certificate Mathematics will be provided at three syllabus levels, Foundation, Ordinary and Higher, with corresponding levels of examination papers. An uptake of 30% at Higher level is targeted. The issue of the status of the Foundation level course and the examination grades achieved by candidates in terms of acceptability for some courses at third level will be explored.

They don't explicitly say that FL is going, but it seems to be the direction they want to go in. Hopefully it won't be gotten rid of for LC. It would be understandable that publishers are reluctant to put in the effort and expense of developing a book for FL when it's status seems to be "under review".

I can see why Leaving Certs wouldn't like to be using a JC book alright. It's a difficult one, and I think your photocopying load is going to have to get you through until a FL book in published. I'd probably stick with the worksheets and handouts myself.

The problem is that by next week I will have no photocopying left.

I don't get that they are considering scrapping LC FL from that document. I understand that they have done away with the FL syllabus at JC and so the FL exam is still based on the OL syllabus, but they are reviewing the need for the FL exam.

But there is a full FL syllabus at LC and I see no intention there to scrap it.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I suppose it's JC FL that's really in question. I still do question why no publisher has put out a LC FL book though! I can sympathise with the photocopying, we had a 1000 page limit imposed to last until Christmas. I'm approaching my limit due to having two TY Maths classes that have no book either. (Book rental scheme). I'd maybe mention to your principal about the extra pressure with photocopying for PM. Do schools not get a grant every year of the phase-in towards photocopying for PM? Thought I heard that at a workshop sometime, but I'm not totally sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭markjh

Foundation level won't be scrapped. The new syllabi were recently delivered to schools. All that has changed is that the foundation level is now a standalone syllabus, whereas it used to be a subset of both OL and HL syllabi. The fact that they have gone to the bother of writing a new syllabus for it should be enough evidence to say that it won't be scrapped

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭derb12

Could you just get the Ordinary Level Book and then only do the Foundation Level parts, supplementing where possible with some JC OL photocopies.
    I know it is very far from ideal. But if they are doing other courses at OL then they'll already be used to not doing all parts of the textbook.
    In particular, the activity book that goes with the LC OL Active Maths from Folens would be good for a Foundation Level class, as long as you keep an eye on the syllabus and skip parts. Unfortunately you can't buy this separately.
    It's a good point though about the availability of the textbook - that hadn't occurred to me. The last figures I found were 5 to 6000 candidates taking FL maths, especially when you compare it with 1500 or so doing Applied Maths and there are 2 textbooks for that, one new one out this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭derb12

markjh wrote: »
    Foundation level won't be scrapped. The new syllabi were recently delivered to schools. All that has changed is that the foundation level is now a standalone syllabus, whereas it used to be a subset of both OL and HL syllabi. The fact that they have gone to the bother of writing a new syllabus for it should be enough evidence to say that it won't be scrapped

Oops - scrap what I just said so.
    I was going on the syllabus I have with the columns where each course is cumulative.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭markjh

derb12 wrote: »
    Oops - scrap what I just said so.
    I was going on the syllabus I have with the columns where each course is cumulative.

No, you should have received new ones since we went back to school.
    They're printed in colour and have coloured covers (one red, one blue cover I think)

• Advertisement

derb12 wrote: »
    Could you just get the Ordinary Level Book and then only do the Foundation Level parts, supplementing where possible with some JC OL photocopies.
    I know it is very far from ideal. But if they are doing other courses at OL then they'll already be used to not doing all parts of the textbook.
    In particular, the activity book that goes with the LC OL Active Maths from Folens would be good for a Foundation Level class, as long as you keep an eye on the syllabus and skip parts. Unfortunately you can't buy this separately.
    It's a good point though about the availability of the textbook - that hadn't occurred to me. The last figures I found were 5 to 6000 candidates taking FL maths, especially when you compare it with 1500 or so doing Applied Maths and there are 2 textbooks for that, one new one out this year!

That is what I am doing with my less weak FL classes but it just does not work for this very weak SEN class. These students would need dozens of step-by-step, fill in the box, scaffolded questions before they could attempt the easy questions in the OL book. The activity book is a step in the right direction but there's only one or two exercises on each section.

It seems there's essentially nothing out there for FL students.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

The LC FL syllabus has been revised for the current 5th years as an earlier poster said. However, that is not all that has changed. The LC exam has been changed from 2 papers to just 1 for these students also. My take on their "intentions" is not to be seen to be actively scrapping FL. Instead they are quietly pushing these students into LCA classes. So sadly that is where I'd suggest you look for a text book. I think there is an LCA book that has loads of "fill in the box" types of questions that might just be more suitable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I really wish they'd revamp the KAs in LCA. They were done up years ago. I find myself creating a number of different assignments around the actual key assignment to bulk it up and stop the kids feeling like idiots.

I think the LCA is the basis of a fantastic course, but as with FL Maths, it seems like there isn't the will to properly support or resource it. Nobody seems to think outside the JC, then LC, then direct entry to third level box.

Some co-operation with ITs or PLCs could revamp the LCA in such as way that they would accept it for college entry.

Sorry for going OT, I'm a big fan of what the LCA is, but more importantly what it could be.

spurious wrote: »
    I really wish they'd revamp the KAs in LCA. They were done up years ago. I find myself creating a number of different assignments around the actual key assignment to bulk it up and stop the kids feeling like idiots.

I think the LCA is the basis of a fantastic course, but as with FL Maths, it seems like there isn't the will to properly support or resource it. Nobody seems to think outside the JC, then LC, then direct entry to third level box.

Some co-operation with ITs or PLCs could revamp the LCA in such as way that they would accept it for college entry.

Sorry for going OT, I'm a big fan of what the LCA is, but more importantly what it could be.

Have to agree with you there. I have 5th Year LCA. I find the material provided very boring to use in class, so I try to supplement with more interesting stuff of my own. The books and KAs come across as very babyish and condescending. Maybe that's just me, but the kids think it's like primary school stuff. Have a lovely LCA class this year, so I could really do a lot with them, but I feel a bit limited by this curriculum. I did some code-breaking with them this week, nothing mental just some Caeser Cipers and codeword ciphers. They loved it, but then our LCA co-ordinator gave out to me because I spent 3 classes doing material that's not on the course. We have weekly topic sheets to fill in, and she copped it. I argued that it was building on counting and number skills, but she didn't want to hear about it.

Chris68 wrote: »
    The LC FL syllabus has been revised for the current 5th years as an earlier poster said. However, that is not all that has changed. The LC exam has been changed from 2 papers to just 1 for these students also. My take on their "intentions" is not to be seen to be actively scrapping FL. Instead they are quietly pushing these students into LCA classes. So sadly that is where I'd suggest you look for a text book. I think there is an LCA book that has loads of "fill in the box" types of questions that might just be more suitable.

These students would be much better off in LCA as it much more suited to both their talents and their needs. But despite much guidance and recommendations they won't do it. I still have to try to get them through FL though. I already photocopy from the LCA book where relevant but the LCA syllabus doesn't even scratch the surface of what is required on the FL course.

I take from this thread then that others are also just picking and choosing from OL books and providing their own worksheets. Unfortunately this is a very expensive approach though and my principal is not willing to offer any leeway on photocopying costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Hi, just wondering if anyone has found a solution to this problem?

JCOL textbooks seem to match the LCFL syllabus best but not sure how students will react to doing the same questions as first years. Hoping they wont realise but don't want to do loads of printing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭spring21

I'm interested in hearing what other maths teachers are using for LC FL Maths given that there is no textbook pubished yet.

I don't really use texts for my other subjects, but for Maths I find they are more necessary so as to have a large bank of questions there for students to work through.

I have one group who are weak mixed ability and we are using OL Active Maths. It's not my favourite textbook personally, but it seems to be working out ok with me picking and choosing questions and supplementing with some extras myself.

My biggest problem is with a very very weak SEN group. OL books are just way way beyond their level and are essentially useless in this context. We need lots of introductory step-by-step work and then lots of repetitive questions on the basics of each topic. At the moment I'm providing all my own notes and worksheets but this is not sustainable due to photocopying and printing restrictions.

What are other teachers doing for groups like this? Are any of the other OL texts more suitable? (None I have seen would work) I'm just finding the whole situation very frustrating. It really feels like FL students are just being ignored - almost as if they are being swept under the carpet in the hopes they'll just disappear! So, I'd really appreciate other teachers' suggestions and feedback on their experiences with FL resources. Thanks.
    How did u get on with your group last year ? I'm very interested as I have the same problem this year and I'm completely lost .

Advertisement