Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers' leave for marriage.

Options
  • 28-08-2014 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Peter Flynt has a thread discussing the issue of teachers' personal leave. My OP is on the separate issue of leave for getting married.

I am aware that, in the past, some teachers - primary and secondary - have got married during mid-term breaks and taken time off for their honeymoons. Is this covered by the S&S scheme?

As far as I know, many teachers who have got married have done so during the summer holidays, thus ruling out the need for substitution. However, I have never understood why some teachers have chosen to get married during mid-term breaks, thus meaning that they would be taking leave for their honeymoons, even though they could have got married during the summer holidays, which last two to three months (depending on whether they're teaching at primary or secondary and, if they're at secondary, if they are supervising and/or correcting State exams).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Not all teachers marry other teachers.

Some teachers may have family members and friends who come home at Christmas and May chose to get married around then in order to have their nearest and dearest with them on their big day.

For the vast majority of people, this will be 5 days off over a 40 year career.

It's not that big a deal.

In schools I've worked in, colleagues give the colleague getting married a dig out by giving up some of their free periods that wouldn't fall under the S&S scheme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

Not all teachers marry other teachers.

Some teachers may have family members and friends who come home at Christmas and May chose to get married around then in order to have their nearest and dearest with them on their big day.

For the vast majority of people, this will be 5 days off over a 40 year career.

It's not that big a deal.

In schools I've worked in, colleagues give the colleague getting married a dig out by giving up some of their free periods that wouldn't fall under the S&S scheme

There is no reason to believe that people in other professions would be unable to get leave in June, July or August.

If a primary teacher takes leave for his or her honeymoon, is the substitution for that teacher while he or she is on honeymoon covered by S&S?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

If they had built up course days from the summer, then yes it would definitely but I don't think it'd be covered under S&S otherwise but that's just an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We had one lad who got married last year a week before the Feb mid term, a list was put up in the staffroom for him, entire 5 days and we filled it in, any periods left uncovered were covered by the DP using S&S rota (your entitled to 7 days but the day of the wedding must be one of the 7)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

endakenny wrote: »
    even though they could have got married during the summer holidays,

My other half is a chef, if he asked for a week off during June, July or August he would be laughed at. There is one reason not all teachers get married during the summer holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

PLL wrote: »
    My other half is a chef, if he asked for a week off during June, July or August he would be laughed at. There is one reason not all teachers get married during the summer holidays.

I agree my OHs busiest time in work is the summer too! I can't remember the last Saturday he didn't have to go to work :(

On an another note it is the most expensive time to get married too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its treated as covered by Dept same as bereavement leave. Its not from S&S although gaps might be filled using cost neutral basis. Teachers get married during mid term so colleagues can go with ease and take following week for honeymoon. Or summer because its nice weather. A summer wedding is nice because with all the celebrations can be enjoyed along with relatives calling etc with no work for weeks after.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

endakenny wrote: »
    There is no reason to believe that people in other professions would be unable to get leave in June, July or August.

If a primary teacher takes leave for his or her honeymoon, is the substitution for that teacher while he or she is on honeymoon covered by S&S?

No cover, the class is usually split as it is for course days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If unpaid leave is taken, then a sub can be employed at no cost to school. That's of course if its outside the marriage entitlement timeframe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I'm looking forward to the gay teachers getting days off for their wedding/honeymoon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

I don't think those teachers would be getting married during the school year unless they had little choice. I wouldn't choose to be working right up to my wedding and have the stress of getting classes covered etc and having to cut short the honeymoon or go into school the morning after flying back unless I really had to.....but I'd rather get married at Christmas if it meant having friends and family around me who were travelling home at that time than getting married in the Summer and not having them there.

There was also a time where you could get married in mid August when many people take their holidays and still fit in a two wk honeymoon....you'd be cutting it fine now when so many of us were back Aug 21st or 22nd.

Advertisement