Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The British Empire and the popularity of Football

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Is the World Series not named after its original sponsor, the World Newspaper, rather than actually being a world cup type event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Is the World Series not named after its original sponsor, the World Newspaper, rather than actually being a world cup type event?

Wow. Interesting idea. Never heard it before though so I went to the wiki and found this as the only mention:

"In his book Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded: August 27, 1883, Simon Winchester mentions in passing that the World Series was named for the New York World newspaper,[16] but this view is disputed.[17]"

I'll try and find out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gallowglass

Then the GAA managed to persuade the masses that not playing Gaelic sports was unpatriotic and banned everyong from playing foreign games, so cricket went in to massive decline. It's a shame the two couldn't coexist.

The GAA needed to be like that in the past, arguably it would still be useful in some areas where hurling is very weak, in these areas people play Gaelic Football and sometimes soccer or rugby.

If there hadn't have been a ban I doubt the GAA would have been so strong today, the sports would just have ended up like Shinty in Scotland.

If there wasn't a ban people would have played a GAA sport alongside soccer and then that would have left the other GAA sports suffering decline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's always puzzled me how cricket came to be invented in England in the first place given the unsuitable climate. When was the last time a Test match was uninterrupted by rain or bad light? The truncated joke of a game that is T20 has some chance of completion but Test cricket...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Guardian article today about the origins of the game in Brazil

h-ttp://w-ww.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jul/05/how-english-schooled-charles-miller-set-tone-football-brazil-world-cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

That's an urban myth.

In 1901 there were two independent major leagues operating in the USA. One called the American League, the other the National League.

When both leagues agreed to an end of season playoff between their respective champions they had to give it a neutral name.

Obviously the couldn't call it the National Series or the American Series so the compromise was World Series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

That's an urban myth.

In 1901 there were two independent major leagues operating in the USA. One called the American League, the other the National League.

When both leagues agreed to an end of season playoff between their respective champions they had to give it a neutral name.

Obviously the couldn't call it the National Series or the American Series so the compromise was World Series.

I wondered if it was.

Any chance you could explain how the result of a rain affected one day cricket match is settled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I wondered if it was.

Any chance you could explain how the result of a rain affected one day cricket match is settled?

Yes, by listening to this album......

220px-Dlm_cover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Reading about Irish cricket after 1921, my impression is that the game was still popular in southern countries until at least the 1950's & many villages in the traditional Hurling regions played both games.

The early TV & newsreel broadcasts led to an increase in popularity of Hurling & Football which happened in parallel with the decline in the numbers playing cricket.

Many of Hurlings famous players came from areas where cricket was popular & played by their family & relatives. Read the Billy Rackard autobiography about his childhood with his brothers & his father playing cricket in Wexford.

I'm sure I read recently that the GAA founders considered having cricket as a GAA sport but the proposal was defeated after a close vote? Michael Cusack was a cricket devotee.

On a related note regarding the popularity & spread of organised field sports, some of the oldest Football clubs such as Sheffield Wednesday & Notts Forest were founded by Bandy players (some accounts also mention Shinty players).

Bandy rules go back to the early 1800's & some field sport historians claim that many of the original rules of football adopted by The FA are derived from Bandy.

Bandy is another game that England gave to the world yet is virtually unknown outside Scandinavia, The Baltics & Russia.

A old friend who lives in Helsinki & has two teenagers playing Bandy, describes it as similar to Hurling & Football, but as he's from Cavan I initially thought what does he know? :pac:

But I've been watching YouTube videos & that's a good description! I'd even prefer it to Ice Hockey!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I thought Sheff Wednesday was founded by butchers because Wednesday was the traditional half-day for them?

This looks like it might provide some answers

Mike Cronin, Sport and Nationalism in Ireland: Gaelic Games, Soccer and Irish Identity since 1884

Anyone read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

My mistake it was Sheffield Utd instead of Wednesday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I did Geography and Archaeology in College many years ago but my dissertation was on the spread of Soccer in Ireland. TBH Ive forgotten most of it and I dont have a copy of it any more. I actually think its wrong to think that the British Empire was the factor behind the spread of Football in Ireland.

The oldest senior club interestingly enough on the island of Ireland is Cliftonville founded way back in 1879. Of mixed religions then but now in a nationalist area I think. In NI its just their links with Scotland that introduced the games there. It was teams coming over and playing exhibition games.

Interestingly enough, Eamonn de Valera despite the ban used to go to a lot of soccer games mainly because before internment most nationalist types were under the illusion that soccer playing people werent nationalist. Yet they got a shock after being interned that a high proportion of Republican prisoners were actually quite well known footballers. Remember reading that fairly recently. Dont have a source - sorry.

Advertisement