Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching for a Birth

Options
  • 09-07-2014 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

I'm in the middle of a family tree at the moment and I wonder if you could help me. My great grand father was born in Newcastle to irish parents. He was sent home to be raised by his grandparents. However the town he was raised in had many of the same surnames so I want to get a hold of his birth cert or any info on it so I can establish who he is on the census records.

What's the best website for this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

what sort of time-frame , and which Newcastle ?

The Irish BMD Index is available on FamilySearch at this link, and also a new copy of the Index has just been added to the IrishGenealogy website - you can use the references from either to order research certs costing €4 from the GRO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

shanew wrote: »
    what sort of time-frame , and which Newcastle ?

The Irish BMD Index is available on FamilySearch at this link, and also a new copy of the Index has just been added to the IrishGenealogy website - you can use the references from either to order research certs costing €4 from the GRO

Sorry Newcastle, England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

then FreeBMD is probably the best Index to search - certs from England are dearer than here, cost abt STG £9

UK GRO is here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

shanew wrote: »
    then FreeBMD is probably the best Index to search - certs from England are dearer than here, cost abt STG £9

UK GRO is here

Appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

William F wrote: »
    Sorry Newcastle, England.

Sir, there are at least four locations in England called Newcastle, and a further five with Newcastle as part of the name.

Can you narrow it down a bit?

tac

• Advertisement
Advertisement