Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First draft of first novel, quite a lot of dialogue??

Options
  • 16-09-2013 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I'm currently writing my first novel, and getting through my first draft. My biggest problem (if it is in fact a problem??) is that it's quite a fast paced novel and there is a lot of information to be given to the reader. I'm using dialogue as a way to explain everything. Is there such a thing as too much dialogue?

The scene I'm writing now is between two people and it's mostly dialogue. I know it's hard to say without reading my work but as a general rule, is there a problem in using dialogue so much? Is there anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks! :)

DW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

god no - I'd say the more dialogue the better (as long as its written well of course.)

I love good dialogue - it's what breathes life into writing imo

can't stand big long passage of descriptive stuff

there was a thread like this very recently - and someone pointed out that some of Roddy Doyles early stuff (think it was the snapper) was nearly entirely written as dialogue - so if you can do it well, ain't nowt wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 waternymph XD

In my opinion, there is such a thing as TOO much dialogue. It really depends on the person though. :) As you stated, your novel is quite fast-paced so I wouldn't worry. After all, it's better to explain things than have the reader confused. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dream_writer

Thanks for both the replies.

I do think of Roddy Doyle when I worry about dialogue because he's the master at writing it! I don't have quite as much as his books though! :)

In my own novel I think dialogue is much better than chunks of description, I just want to make sure the dialogue I write isn't artificial and false sounding.

I'll keep writing and try not to self doubt as much! Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I just want to make sure the dialogue I write isn't artificial and false sounding.

That is the hard bit. Doyle is a master at it, so that it is obvious from what they say what character is speaking because each character has their own 'voice'.
    Sometimes when reading dialogue, especially long passages, I find I lose track of who says what because both characters are speaking in the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dream_writer

Yes, I have to go back over my dialogue a lot to make sure the reader can keep track of who's speaking.

I read a book a while ago where the dialogue was toe-curlingly cringeworthy. That kind of stuff makes me not want to finish reading it so I'm really trying to keep it as real to life as possible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭rachblue

I'm just starting out and I feel like I have the opposite problem. I feel like there is no dialogue in it but the story is written from the main characters point of view so most things are described through her thoughts. Not sure if this is making it a bit boring though. Maybe I should try throw more dialogue in there but she spends a lot of time alone or not communicating with others so if I put more dialogue in, I'm not sure if it will just be for the sake of it and not have anything to do with the story! Like I said though, I'm literally starting out. Haven't shown anyone yet so not sure if I should put a sample of it up here to get an opinion on it. Bit scared to though!!

Advertisement