Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saab is rescued!

Options
  • 13-06-2012 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭

Good news is the new buyer will keep producing Saabs in Sweden

All will be revealed at a press conference at noon today...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Bad news is all the gossip is about hybrids and electric cars and batteries, not oddball petrol turbonutter cars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Hope they pull it off this time, it'd be a terrible shame to lose the marque. And I'd love one of the current 9-5s in a few years, when it's been run in for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Finally some good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

YAY:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Great news, let's hope NEVS have deeper pockets than Spyker had. Aiming for hybrid/electric IMO is a smart move to build on the future of the SAAB.

The most important task is to finish development of the NG 9-3 platform to break free from any GM patents. The NG 9-5 apparently turned out to be a real drag for Spyker due to high licensing fees. I read that the development of the next 9-3 continued at a very high priority under the administration even since the company went bust in December. Nearly fully developed wholly owned mid-size platform was thought to be a key element attracting a buyer for the company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

NEVS are a shower of Chinese communists, wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

The Chinese should be stopped from buying European companies. They don't really let Europeans buy their companies so why do we let them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

That is great news. Lets hope they give them some room with design and development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

eth0 wrote: »
    NEVS are a shower of Chinese communists, wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.

The Chinese should be stopped from buying European companies. They don't really let Europeans buy their companies so why do we let them?

Not sure how correct that statement is.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303734204577463783273268726.html
    NEVS is a company specifically created to buy the assets of bankrupt Saab Automobile. It is 51% owned by National Modern Energy Holdings Ltd. and 49% of Sun Investment LLC.

National Modern Energy Holdings Ltd. is owned by a Hong Kong-based company and is focusing on alternative energy for China. Sun Investment LLC is a Japanese investment company that invests in high technology projects in environmental technology and sustainable solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Hopefully good move to keep the SAAB name going .... just hope they get as far away from the GM dross as possible

Love my 9-5 ... but don't love the fact that GM was involved in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Hope they can turn it around....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bad news is all the gossip is about hybrids and electric cars and batteries, not oddball petrol turbonutter cars.

Quite, there will be nothing of automotive interest in any new models.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

When will the thread about Saab going bust come around again?

I love Saab. Great cars. I hope they still make great cars

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The press conference
    It’s not just about money and technology, its about a vision and sustainability.

NEVS is the buyer of SAAB, who wants to combine Saab in three basis:
    1. Swedish know-how, design, technology and production facility which is a world-leading class
    2. Add cutting-edge technology from Japan in form of know-how, design and technology
    3. The great connections with China

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

unkel wrote: »

The first two points I get.

What about the third? Will the cars they make be destined for China only?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

mike65 wrote: »
    Quite, there will be nothing of automotive interest in any new models.

The turbo engines were considered interesting and cutting edge when they came out. SAAB have always been very innovative in both design and technology, the fact that they are prepared to work now on new technologies gives me hope that they will continue to be different and innovative in the future. That is why they were a success in the past and hopefully will be in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

What about the third? Will the cars they make be destined for China only?

I'd guess they'd still be sold everywhere. Maybe this point refers to a Chinese business model or increased exports to China? Or maybe they want to set up a plant there...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

bijapos wrote: »

I don't think the Chinese angle is genuine, either, and I suspect someone, somewhere is pulling a fast one: somethings up...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Intrigue on a level with tbh's hit-and-run thread. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

they have all our money, the only way to get it back is to sell them stuff....

Advertisement