Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My old car is still out there...

Options
  • 14-06-2012 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

Just seen a post of someone about their old car being on donedeal and clocked...
    Checked donedeal to see one of my old cars and... it is up for sale now!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3467471

Good to see it is still going, and not scrapped.
    So, how many of you come across your old cars being sold on donedeal/adverts etc???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Ive never seen one on donedeal etc, but I seen my old 98 vectra on the side of the road with a for sale sign on it a couple of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I bought a 97 fiat bravo just over 10 years ago and kept it for about 2 years. I saw it a couple of times in the subsequent 2 years, then nothing until it turned up in my work car park last November. There's not many left around so it was something of a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Is there a way to see if a car has changed owners in the past few months other than a Motorcheck? I thought there was some way to do it...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Throw an ould GPS tracker in, hide it well, don't tell the new owner.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Is there a way to see if a car has changed owners in the past few months other than a Motorcheck? I thought there was some way to do it...?

https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/start.do;jsessionid=0aa0114730d898558862b66944c88491c561d6035761.e38PaNaSbh0RaO0Rch50?page=welcome

Vehicle transaction query on motortax.ie will tell you if it's changed hands in the last 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

The father traded in his car last year and got a new one. He did all the servicing him self and it was traded into a main dealer.

The dealer sold it with a "genuine full service history" with stamps to prove it. I think it's knocking about from time to time on adverts. It wasn't clocked tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Yawns wrote: »
    The father traded in his car last year and got a new one. He did all the servicing him self and it was traded into a main dealer.

The dealer sold it with a "genuine full service history" with stamps to prove it. I think it's knocking about from time to time on adverts. It wasn't clocked tho.

This country is unreal, unreal! It must have the highest percentage of cars with dodgy history in the developed world?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

This country is unreal, unreal! It must have the highest percentage of cars with dodgy history in the developed world?

Theres nowhere to report these offences thats the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/start.do;jsessionid=0aa0114730d898558862b66944c88491c561d6035761.e38PaNaSbh0RaO0Rch50?page=welcome

Vehicle transaction query on motortax.ie will tell you if it's changed hands in the last 3 months.
    I checked my old car. It says this.

End Of Life Vehicle
    Notified for End of Life Processing on : 16/03/2012

Does this mean my car has been scrapped?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

The car I was driving before my current one was traded in and two week later it was parked beside mine outside a local shop. Seen it a few times after that and never again and I'm fairly sure its of the road now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Rein-in

I agree! I handed back a 3yr old lease car last Friday with 128,000km on the clock. I happened to see the car for sale yesterday on Carzone with 112,000km. It's sick. For sale through a dealer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Rein-in wrote: »
    I agree! I handed back a 3yr old lease car last Friday with 128,000km on the clock. I happened to see the car for sale yesterday on Carzone with 112,000km. It's sick. For sale through a dealer too.

That's a typo. No one is going to clock a car down 16k km.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I checked my old car. It says this.

End Of Life Vehicle
    Notified for End of Life Processing on : 16/03/2012

Does this mean my car has been scrapped?

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 18 AR76

My first car was a '97 1 litre polo which I bought in 2000. Sold it in 2002. We bought our current house in 2004 and low and behold a house around the corner had it in their driveway! They kept it in until 2006 so that was the end of that......

......or so I thought until I spotted it a couple of months ago in the general area again and have since discoved that a house in another part of our estate now has it! So 10 years after I traded it in its still going strong...at 15 years old! Made me happy:).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

AR76 wrote: »
    My first car was a '97 1 litre polo which I bought in 2000. Sold it in 2002. We bought our current house in 2004 and low and behold a house around the corner had it in their driveway! They kept it in until 2006 so that was the end of that......

......or so I thought until I spotted it a couple of months ago in the general area again and have since discoved that a house in another part of our estate now has it! So 10 years after I traded it in its still going strong...at 15 years old! Made me happy:).
    Could have kept the bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Carstuck wrote: »
    The car I was driving before my current one was traded in and two week later it was parked beside mine outside a local shop. Seen it a few times after that and never again and I'm fairly sure its of the road now.

You traded in the lemon, didn't you? Just kidding.

The only reason i found the one i quoted was because there are not many left now (most of them scrapped i believe...)
    If i had golf or anything popular like that, there was no chance to spot it on donedeal like that.
    This is the car i passed my test on, and lot of good memories. Had Seicento, and 1.3 Fiesta before this one, so you can understand it felt like a car...
    Nice to see it is running with fresh NCT, i doubt someone will pay grand for this tough - Polo's and the others have similiar prices now, and we all know what people think of Fiat...

Nice to see it out there anyway, different county so no chance to spot it next to me while shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I used to see my old Punto knocking around Ashbourne, haven't seen it in ages though :(

The Fiesta makes a daily hike to Cavan town and back to Navan, everyday, 5 days a week. Serving it's new owner well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,715 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I found my old 02 Passat on Donedeal about 2 months ago knocking around Meath. Still looked pretty good except someone removed the standard alloys and stuck on godawful steel rims instead.

Advertisement