Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to become a mechanic

Options
  • 17-01-2012 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I want to know the steps involved in becoming a mechanic, finding an apprenticeship ect.. any help would be great

Comments

Need a garage to employ you as an apprentice, than register with Fas (if they're still called that), than it's half work and half time in Fas. You'll struggle to find an employer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Find a garage willing to take you on as an apprentace, they will register you with fas and your pretty much good to go. What age are you, what area you in and are you interested in cars or vans and trucks?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mechcar

Im 17 live in north dublin. i love cars and what is under the bonnet. im quitegood with my hands but im better at theory. i know apprentices get paid very little but does anyone know the rate

I think first year rate is about 180 a week or so, better than the dole anyway!! Plenty of garages around north dublin, start local to you and start going in to see the service managers with your cv. Good luck with your search lad

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭couldntthink

When i started it was 156 euro a week, that was in 2004. I'd say it's not much more now. Every other trade was paid better and we were the poor ones in FAS. But now at least it's not as dead as the other trades.

If my experience is anything to go by, you need to be willing to put up with quite a bit of ****, kinda like being a first year in school. That depends on the garage also. Don't expect to get to do loads of stuff straight away. Cleaning and sweeping will be a big part of your first few months.

But if you have an interest go for it. Go in person to garages, much better than phoning or e mailing. Always ask for the service manager. If you're really desperate I would consider telling them you'll work for free for a week just to show how serious you are.

If you do get in, registering with FAS is your top priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Apprentice Mechanic

When i started it was 156 euro a week, that was in 2004. I'd say it's not much more now. Every other trade was paid better and we were the poor ones in FAS. But now at least it's not as dead as the other trades.

If my experience is anything to go by, you need to be willing to put up with quite a bit of ****, kinda like being a first year in school. That depends on the garage also. Don't expect to get to do loads of stuff straight away. Cleaning and sweeping will be a big part of your first few months.

But if you have an interest go for it. Go in person to garages, much better than phoning or e mailing. Always ask for the service manager. If you're really desperate I would consider telling them you'll work for free for a week just to show how serious you are.

If you do get in, registering with FAS is your top priority.
    That is very true,I honsetly taught FAS was total utter crap

Wouldnt recomend saying you will work for free, all good advice above tho, puttin up with the **** is all part of it but its also part of the fun

• Registered Users Posts: 21 goeast

buy an italian car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,848 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That is very true,I honsetly taught FAS was total utter crap
    Not true. If you apply yourself in the theory side of the FAS phases then it'll stand to you in the long run.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Not true. If you apply yourself in the theory side of the FAS phases then it'll stand to you in the long run.
    There was two garages toke on apprentices in the last year in my local area through FAS which FAS told me the will be letting me know if there was apprentice job created but saying that I am reigestred with FAS for the last four years & I also tried all the garages in my local area
    four years,I am currently doing day release in Omagh doing a City and Quilds qualifactions in AMR which is the same as Agricultraul Mechanics

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, does anyone know if an aircraft mechanic is a better way to go??

mechcar wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, does anyone know if an aircraft mechanic is a better way to go??

It really depends on your motivation and what interests you more, the practical or the theory. A mate of mine is an aircraft mechanic and he said he hated it because it was so beaurocratic, and regulations played a much larger part of the job. The job opportunities are limited too. Ya won't get too many nixers as an
    Aircraft mechanic.

My uncle is one by trade but saying that the aircraft mechanics in not as they used to be as busy and also he said that work is very scarce

Quazzie wrote: »
    It really depends on your motivation and what interests you more, the practical or the theory. A mate of mine is an aircraft mechanic and he said he hated it because it was so beaurocratic, and regulations played a much larger part of the job. The job opportunities are limited too. Ya won't get too many nixers as an
    Aircraft mechanic.
    Thats very true, but some compaines dont want people doing nixers

is it really necessaries to do the leaving cert???

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

is it really necessaries to do the leaving cert???

I would say its a definate.Out of all the apprentices we`ve taken on Id say 90% of them have a leaving cert.Thats not saying you wont get one without a leaving cert but it does give you a better chance and proves that you have the ability to learn in a classroom and not drop out at the first opportunity ie the junior cert.

Heres some advice for you if you really want to try get an apprenticeship.

1.Just keep calling on garages.Drop your CV off to every single one that you can.
    2.Then follow it up with a phone call.
    3.Make an effort in your appearance when you call into a garage--dont go in in a pair of runners and a tracksuit with big diamonds hanging out of your ears and tattoos showing--it puts potential employers off--Wear something decent.It sticks out if someone makes an effort even in just dropping off a CV.

I interviewed a lad last week and he turned up in a pair if runners,skinny jeans,a t-shirt,2 big fake **** diamond ear rings and a tattoo on his neck that was in full view.
    This lads CV was impressive for what we were looking for but he wasnt even considered because he made no effort whatsoever at the interview.

Thank you for the advice, I think i look presentable.No earrings or tattoos, I play a lot of golf so i spend half of my time dressed well

Does anyone know if your pay increases after each year??

Yes it does. If by year you mean every second phase, because sometimes two phases can't go on longer than a year depending on how long you've to wait for college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭swimfast

any other ways to do it any colledge courses ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

There doesnt even seem to be a decent DIY course for it, let alone doing a full apprenticship through college.

I've been looking for a good while now to start but there doesnt seem to be much out there. The Quick Fit style of places advertise now and then for first and 2nd years and I've sent a letter with my CV anytime they have, lookign for a start but never get a reply. I've been through an apprenticeship before (Plumbing) but dont have much of an interest in it (ceetainly no where near as wmuch as I would in workign with cars) and coupeld with there being very little work for plumbers either, it's not much fun out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

my advice

do a bit yourself but dont bother with the apprenticeship

do something else - dead end job tbh

what with the intro of hybrids and elec cars the role of the mechanic is only going to keep changing. its more and more computer based

i wish i went to college and did something completely different

Advertisement