Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fionnuala Sweeney on CNN

Options
  • 08-11-2010 8:11pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So I was away at the weekend and was watching alot of CNN (only English channel)

I was trying to place the presenters accent when I realised it was our own Fionnuala Sweeney! (Well RTE's Fionnual Sweeney)

She presented the Eurovision (1993? 94?) and was headhunted by CNN after they saw her on it (I believe)

Wowser she has put on weight! Well, just age I guess. But her accent! No trace of an Irish accent - very Brit-tish instead. I think she may actually be from England but spent alot of time in Ireland as a child and definitely had an Irish accent when she presented the Eurovison.

Anyone else remember her from Eurovision?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,367 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes she went to CNN very shortly after doing the Eurovision.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

She has been a main Anchor on CNN international for many many years and is highly regarded, she has also covered major events including 9/11.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

amdublin wrote: »
    presented the Eurovision (1993? 94?)
    has put on weight
    Gerry Ryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Yes she did the Eurovision in 1993, beautiful woman.

Moderatorin%2093.jpg

0.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ does nothing for me...traitor!, just jumped ship for the wonga.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

^ does nothing for me...traitor!, just jumped ship for the wonga.

Born in the UK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

bonerm wrote: »
    Born in the UK.

Born in Belfast. Moved to Dublin at 12. (According to wiki)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Born in Belfast. Moved to Dublin at 12. (According to wiki)

Exactly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Loveless wrote: »
    Yes she did the Eurovision in 1993, beautiful woman.

Moderatorin%2093.jpg

0.jpg

I agree she was beautiful when she did the Eurovision.

I'm sorry to report that this second photo up above must be a little bit out of date......she is waaaaay heavier (and older looking) than this now.

Advertisement