Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water damage through Headphone socket to Note 2

Options
  • 12-08-2013 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭

Hope someone can help, my phone Samsung Note 2 recently kept freezing, restarting etc. I am with 3 and brought it to phone menders. Today I ring them and they tell me a tiny bit of water has got into the phone and fried the motherboard right beside the Headphone jack.
    There is no other water in the motherboard. They said it is now not covered by warranty, I cannot believe it. I am very careful with my phone and it has no drink/water has been spilled on it, not being dropped even near water. They said it could be from a little bit of rain getting in through where the Headphone socket is as there is no water anywhere else - I don't even remember having it out in the rain really - is there anything I can do as it is a great phone (when working) and cannot afford to pay to get repaired. Especially as I have been careful with it- I will get onto Samsung tomorrow. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Hope someone can help, my phone Samsung Note 2 recently kept freezing, restarting etc. I am with 3 and brought it to phone menders. Today I ring them and they tell me a tiny bit of water has got into the phone and fried the motherboard right beside the Headphone jack.
    There is no other water in the motherboard. They said it is now not covered by warranty, I cannot believe it. I am very careful with my phone and it has no drink/water has been spilled on it, not being dropped even near water. They said it could be from a little bit of rain getting in through where the Headphone socket is as there is no water anywhere else - I don't even remember having it out in the rain really - is there anything I can do as it is a great phone (when working) and cannot afford to pay to get repaired. Especially as I have been careful with it- I will get onto Samsung tomorrow. Any advice appreciated.
    Ask three to send it direct to Samsung, I had them tell me on 2 occasions that my phone was water damaged only for Samsung to repair it. It was a known fault with the nexus at the time. Samsung fixed the issue both times. Worth a try, these feckers are just out to make money after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Definitely get a second opinion.

Fonemenders told me my laptop had liquid damage to the board and had to be replaced.

Took it somewhere else and it just needed a new keyboard and touch pad and it now works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Thanks anyone else recommend where to take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

My wife's s4 got water damaged this a evening, total nightmare, the touchscreen wouldn't work, no response at all... I took out the hoover and sucked all the moisture from it and its working perfect now...in saying that I got to it fairly quick, if moisture sits for a few days u are probably in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

JAMM222 wrote: »
    My wife's s4 got water damaged this a evening, total nightmare, the touchscreen wouldn't work, no response at all... I took out the hoover and sucked all the moisture from it and its working perfect now...in saying that I got to it fairly quick, if moisture sits for a few days u are probably in trouble

Using a vacuum on electronics is never a good idea! The old bowl of rice in an airing cupboard for 48hrs worked for me. The most important thing is to remove the battery and dab up excess liquid as quickly as possible, once a phone has come into contact with water. Then rice + airing cupboard, for as long as possible.

Of course none of this applies to the OP, who is simply being taken for a ride by cowboys! Send it to Samsung and hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Simi wrote: »
    Using a vacuum on electronics is never a good idea! The old bowl of rice in an airing cupboard for 48hrs worked for me. The most important thing is to remove the battery and dab up excess liquid as quickly as possible, once a phone has come into contact with water. Then rice + airing cupboard, for as long as possible.

Of course none of this applies to the OP, who is simply being taken for a ride by cowboys! Send it to Samsung and hope for the best.

The hoover worked for me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Yeah, Samsung, send it nowhere else.

Rang Samsung and asked about sending it directly to them- told can't do that till I get a report done by guess who Phone menders so have to go back to Phone menders as last report does not count.
    Had a look at the tab behind the battery which supposedly changes if there has been water damage- there is another guy here with the same phone- the tab is the exact same colour. Will let you know how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Rang Samsung and asked about sending it directly to them- told can't do that till I get a report done by guess who Phone menders so have to go back to Phone menders as last report does not count. .

Do warranty repairs go through them?

I'd dread something happening to my phone then.

As well as completely getting it wrong with my laptop, I had to wait the guts of 2 weeks to get it back because it was stuck in some depot because they apparently had their An Post account suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Samsung will probably get you to send it to Anovo in Norfolk. My note 2 is there almost two weeks now and I'm still awaiting word from them on the repair.
    I rooted it and forgot to back up my efs file, and apparently the motherboard has issues.
    Best of luck with the repair, OP.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    Do warranty repairs go through them?

I'd dread something happening to my phone then.

As well as completely getting it wrong with my laptop, I had to wait the guts of 2 weeks to get it back because it was stuck in some depot because they apparently had their An Post account suspended.

I believe so there call centre is in Newry- so phone back in phone menders

Advertisement