Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Glen Greenwald has left the Guardian and is setting up his own news organisation.

I wonder if it will work or if it will crash and burn?
    Greenwald said he looked forward to creating a new organization with “no preexisting institutional strictures on what you can do.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Short, interesting article about the status of religion in contemporary China.

Yes, I know, I'm banging on about China again. One-trick pony, eh?

China has highest rate of atheism in the world, but spirituality remains strong

Not sure I agree with the coda, though. Looks to me that the writer is confusing atheism with nihilism.
    it is in society’s interest that the public believes in something as opposed to believing in nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Glen Greenwald has left the Guardian and is setting up his own news organisation.

I wonder if it will work or if it will crash and burn?
    Just saw that now myself - very interesting, have been following his writing for at least half a decade now, and this is great to see; I think that could go exceptionally well with him at the helm, and would be very good to see more journalists taken in as protégé to learn from him, as there are not many people out there who even remotely compare to him, in quality of journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/index.html

AI here we come, let's hope it's friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Need a non Daily Mail link. All I get when I click that are cute kittens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Jernal wrote: »
    Wired has one about how it's shut down over the budget mess.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-10/15/dwave-nasa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

Jernal wrote: »

Try this Daily mail one
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2461133/Google-D-Wave-quantum-computing-solve-global-warming.html

Um, I use an extension called kittenblock which means any time I end up in the Daily Mail domain I'll see pictures of cute kittens and cups of tea.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A guy with some time on his hands stitches together a few hi-res photos of Saturn which Cassini took last week - the composite image is available here.

And here's the lo-res version:

276322.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

robindch wrote: »
    A guy with some time on his hands stitches together a few hi-res photos of Saturn which Cassini took last week - the composite image is available here.

And here's the lo-res version:

Kinda looks like Saturn is wearing a bow tie (bottom left of the sphere). :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Due to the shutdown they were unable to instruct Cassini to stop taking pictures during the shutdown :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Perfectly preserved 1.8 million-year-old skull 'could re-write history of human evolution'
    Palaeontologists believe finds could re-write early history of human evolution

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/perfectly-preserved-18-millionyearold-skull-could-rewrite-history-of-human-evolution-8887039.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Perfectly preserved 1.8 million-year-old skull 'could re-write history of human evolution'
    Palaeontologists believe finds could re-write early history of human evolution

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/perfectly-preserved-18-millionyearold-skull-could-rewrite-history-of-human-evolution-8887039.html

Anyone else annoyed that the url says 18 million and not 1.8?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

AFAIK dots can't be included outside of www . urlname . domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You can just picture J C dancing around screeching "CHECKMATE ATHEISTS!".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, basically this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

.nope

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They sure can, but having dots in filenames can pose some issues when you're trying to do things programmatically. Afaik, the point of having big long Urls is to do with search engines, but big long filenames often don't play nicely with content management systems. So in order to do a form of mapping between the url and the underlying information, they may strip out "non-word" characters from the title of the article to make this mapping easier. It's all really boring programming stuff.

I've tried working with files ending in .fasta.gas.zip.tar.gz.qual.txt.zip before and it's not f*king pleasant.

scientists using an experimental setup with a similar crystal with the one found in a shipwreck have shown that such stones could indeed have helped the Vikings navigate from Norway to North America.

“The Vikings could have discovered this, simply by choosing a transparent crystal and looking through it through a small hole in a screen,” study researcher Guy Ropars said. “The understanding of the complete mechanism and the knowledge of the polarization of light is not necessary.”

It’s believed the Vikings used a common calcite crystal, called Icelandic spar. This stone has the special property that allows light to get polarized and broken into two – “ordinary” and “extraordinary” beams – when sunlight enters the crystal. Vikings might have calibrated calcite crystal sunstones by scanning them across a clear sky and noting the sun’s position when the crystal brightened. They could then repeat the trick to locate the sun when it was no longer visible by guiding themselves after the same reference point, subsequently marked.
    Read more at http://www.zmescience.com/research/sunstone-viking-magical-compass-proved-by-science/#yCIe1p0SKsll6HeY.99

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24583903
    A trainee Catholic nun has appeared in court charged with killing her newborn child at a convent in Washington DC.
    The unnamed nun allegedly found the child cold and not breathing, and transported the body in a luggage bag to a local hospital along with Ms Amoa, court documents state.

That seems a mighty odd way to transport the body of a baby you are supposed to care about under your faith,

The baby was already born, it's well-established that religion doesn't give a f*ck after that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I don't call that situation tragic. I call it murder. And no attempt at religious justification is going to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

...but of course, this universe and everything in it was made just for us. Bit of a waste really.

http://exoplanets.newscientistapps.com/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Copper pipe and neodymium magnet - WTF?

robindch wrote: »
    Copper pipe and neodymium magnet - WTF?
    <<5BeFoz3Ypo4>>

Physics bitch!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

recedite wrote: »
    The original Aramaic name seems to have been Joshua.
    Yeshua. Joshua is a slightly different form of the name. There's a bit in one of the gospels that only makes sense if his name kinda sounded like Joshua, but yea they're pretty much the same root/name(kinda like different spellings and pronunciations of the Irish name Ciaran/Keiran/etc keer awn or keerin). It means the deliverer IIRC? Like Fry from Futurama...
    In Arabic, Azerbaijani, and in Old Irish its Íosa.
    That's from the Greek iesous originally. The Arabic world being more in contact with that part of the world, didn't take on the slightly later Latin Iesus, from where we(by a circuitous route) get to Jesus, instead they call him Isa, not unlike how the Irish did originally. Interesting how a word can travel in unexpected ways and interesting that the Old Irish although far more exposed to Latin instead seemed to favour the Greek name.
    In modern Irish, Jaysus.
    :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Wibbs wrote: »
    Interesting how a word can travel in unexpected ways and interesting that the Old Irish although far more exposed to Latin instead seemed to favour the Greek name.

:D

Isn't there something about the early Irish church being influenced as much by the eastern school as the west. Indeed, I heard that Henry II's excursion was blessed by Adrian IV partly to bring the Irish church back in line with Rome.*

*Can't remember where I heard that so I have no quotes or references to back it up unfortunately.

legspin wrote: »
    Isn't there something about the early Irish church being influenced as much by the eastern school as the west. Indeed, I heard that Henry II's excursion was blessed by Adrian IV partly to bring the Irish church back in line with Rome.*

*Can't remember where I heard that so I have no quotes or references to back it up unfortunately.

Structure of the Gaelic church followed the Coptic monastic model more than the Roman diocesan one.

That was one of the many issues Rome had with the church in Ireland but I haven't had my coffee yet so I'll spare you all the details.

* that bit made me twitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Bannasidhe wrote: »

* that bit made me twitch.

Sorry.

Advertisement