Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for an Android with full physical QWERTY

• 25-07-2013 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As the title says I'm looking for a phone that runs android with a full physical keyboard. I currently have a sony ericsson xperia x10 mini pro but it's over 3 years old at this stage and is on its way out so I'm looking for a new one. So far I've found the Samsung Glyde/Glide and the motorola photon Q as the next best subsitutes as they're not too old.
    The main problem I'm having is finding any decent ones in Ireland so if anyone could help me or know of any network that sells these phones.

Also I'm not looking for a blackberry style keyboard, I'd rather have it slide out to keep the size of the phone as small as possible

Comments

There are not many qwerty android phones left, especially sliders. Would you consider a cover for a phone with a built in keyboard.
    If I had to have a slider qwerty keyboard, I would get something (depending on budget), like a Galaxy S4 and a case like this:

gs4-slide-keyboard-case.jpg

They are availble online, eg amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

There are not many qwerty android phones left, especially sliders. Would you consider a cover for a phone with a built in keyboard.
    If I had to have a slider qwerty keyboard, I would get something (depending on budget), like a Galaxy S4 and a case like this:

gs4-slide-keyboard-case.jpg

They are availble online, eg amazon.

I've seen the iphone covers with the qwerty built in but never found anything like that. It's not a bad alternative, thanks.
    The main problem i have now is the price of the Samsung Galaxy S4 and S3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Try an alternative keyboard like swift key or swype. Make typing a lot easier that the regular key board though I do think there is a Google alternative also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

chrislad wrote: »
    Try an alternative keyboard like swift key or swype. Make typing a lot easier that the regular key board though I do think there is a Google alternative also.

I realise this isn't what the op is looking for but my first smartphone was a Nokia n97 (slide out keyboard) I loved the full qwerty keyboard and swore I'd never go touchscreen as slide out keyboard was the best.

Then the lack of any high end android slide out keyboard phones meant I broke that promise to myself and I've never looked back.

If you haven't tried a touchscreen keyboard in a few years, well they've come a long way and in an ideal world I'd still maybe like a physical keyboard you have to make sacrifices elsewhere and with the quality of the likes of SwiftKey it's not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Nolimits wrote: »
    I realise this isn't what the op is looking for but my first smartphone was a Nokia n97 (slide out keyboard) I loved the full qwerty keyboard and swore I'd never go touchscreen as slide out keyboard was the best.

Then the lack of any high end android slide out keyboard phones meant I broke that promise to myself and I've never looked back.

If you haven't tried a touchscreen keyboard in a few years, well they've come a long way and in an ideal world I'd still maybe like a physical keyboard you have to make sacrifices elsewhere and with the quality of the likes of SwiftKey it's not worth it.

I would use the touchscreen keyboard on my other phone sometimes when i didn't want to slide the qwerty out but i didn't like it at all, i only really did it for replying to short messages. I can't understand why these kind of phones are dying, they're so nice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

T4RGET wrote: »
    I would use the touchscreen keyboard on my other phone sometimes when i didn't want to slide the qwerty out but i didn't like it at all, i only really did it for replying to short messages. I can't understand why these kind of phones are dying, they're so nice...

The x10 mini pro has a really small screen though. 2.55 inches. It would make using any on screen keyboard pretty hard.

I remember having an x8 (3 inch screen) as a back up to my x10 (4 inch screen) and when using the x8, I found the keyboard to be a nightmare.

If you were to get a phone like the S3 (4.8 inch screen) or the S4 (5 inch screen), I'm sure you'd have no trouble with an on screen keyboard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I have one HTC Cha Cha for sale if that's any good for you

Advertisement