Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transcendental Meditation

Options
  • 18-05-2015 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I just came back from a talk about TM. It was very convincing and I was definitely interested in learning it. Problem being she said it was 600 euro for the course (4 evenings of 90 minutes). If it's worth it, then OK, the money is well spent, but I'm not sure how it's worth that much money.

I currently do 30 minute meditation sessions about 3 or 4 times a week. I usually follow a guided meditation, most commonly I've bought some mp3's off brainsync.com. I've found these to be great, and I do notice myself more relaxed and never even seem to get a common cold the last few years. But again, back to the money, I've spent about 100 to 200 (max) dollars in total on brainsync mp3's across maybe 5 years (and worth every penny to me), so can somebody with more knowledge on meditation tell me why TM is so special and is it in fact worth the money? I know that's quite a subjective question. I'm guessing I can learn much of what the course does on youtube, or is it essential to do a one-on-one session?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I find Novocaine a bit weird ......so if I pay 200 dollars for an mp3 I'll be able to transcend dental medication with Transcendental Meditation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lilydonoghue

I wouldn't pay 600 because at the end of the day you have to practice it for it to work and you seem to be doing okay in that area if you feel benefits from your own meditation. I think you can learn meditation for free or much cheaper at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Check out the clips on the David Lynch Foundation website on
    https://www.davidlynchfoundation.org/

I'll give more information over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Just save money and do a mantra meditation?

All techniques are not the same.

• Advertisement

Okay, I was under the impression that TM was a mantra meditation.

Okay, I was under the impression that TM was a mantra meditation.

Its how you use the mantra that's important. TM is effortlessly without any concentration or complanation.

Could you write an explanation for me I'd like to try something like that

Could you write an explanation for me I'd like to try something like that

I can write about the mechanism of the TM technique. However it wouldn't be TM as you would need personal instructions. It would give you a general understanding tho.

Will reply on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

YFlyer wrote: »
    I can write about the mechanism of the TM technique. However it wouldn't be TM as you would need personal instructions. It would give you a general understanding tho.

Will reply on Saturday.
    That would be extremely helpful.

I'd love to know why you say you need personal instructions, as opposed it would be best if you had personal instructions?

If anybody else reading this is interested, I came across a list of mantras yesterday:

http://selfhelprobot.com/51-meditation-mantras-list

• Advertisement

gerbear1 wrote: »
    That would be extremely helpful.

I'd love to know why you say you need personal instructions, as opposed it would be best if you had personal instructions?

]

To get the correct mantra and to know the proper way of using the mantra.

gerbear1 wrote: »
    I just came back from a talk about TM. It was very convincing and I was definitely interested in learning it. Problem being she said it was 600 euro for the course (4 evenings of 90 minutes). If it's worth it, then OK, the money is well spent, but I'm not sure how it's worth that much money.

I currently do 30 minute meditation sessions about 3 or 4 times a week. I usually follow a guided meditation, most commonly I've bought some mp3's off brainsync.com. I've found these to be great, and I do notice myself more relaxed and never even seem to get a common cold the last few years. But again, back to the money, I've spent about 100 to 200 (max) dollars in total on brainsync mp3's across maybe 5 years (and worth every penny to me), so can somebody with more knowledge on meditation tell me why TM is so special and is it in fact worth the money? I know that's quite a subjective question. I'm guessing I can learn much of what the course does on youtube, or is it essential to do a one-on-one session?

TM is different. It is an effortless technique. There is no concentration involved. It uses the minds natural tendency to find more bliss.

Innocence is required for proper use of the mantra. Thinking about the mantra on the intellect level is counter productive as the mind will stay on the gross level of thinking.

Advertisement